Alcoholic beverages for a dinner out

Options
I have a couple of dinners with friends coming up. I'm checking out the menus now and trying to figure out my calories not only for the dinners but for my other meals those days as well. If others are getting dessert, I will likely just get coffee instead.

If I am going going to drink one alcoholic beverage, what should I have? A glass of wine? Any other suggestions? I typically like mixed drinks, different kinds of martinis (cosmo), or margaritas, but I don't want to use all of my calories on one drink. Or should I avoid alcohol all together?

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'd say avoid it, it's nothing more than a legal drug in my eyes.

1 drink is going to do nothing anyways.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If I could only have one drink I'd probably go for a G&T. If the calories allowed then I'd split a bottle of prosecco with a friend or two.

If there was a dessert that really took my fancy I'd skip alcohol and have dessert instead.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of dinners with friends coming up. I'm checking out the menus now and trying to figure out my calories not only for the dinners but for my other meals those days as well. If others are getting dessert, I will likely just get coffee instead.

If I am going going to drink one alcoholic beverage, what should I have? A glass of wine? Any other suggestions? I typically like mixed drinks, different kinds of martinis (cosmo), or margaritas, but I don't want to use all of my calories on one drink. Or should I avoid alcohol all together?

if you want to have a few drinks then have a few drinks. Your best bet, calorie wise, is vodka water with a lemon. About 70 calories for a one ounce pour.

Just make sure that you log in the drinks and account for them.

I drink on weekends and have had no issue with weight loss.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    wine is the best drink calorie wise :)
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,801 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally I'd have one glass of wine, and make sure it still fits in my calories for the week. Mixed drinks can turn to calorie bombs in a hurry. Here are two links that show the calorie amounts for common alcoholic drinks. Maybe they can help you decide?

http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/toolsresources/caloriecalculator.asp and
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/report/html/table_e3.htm

As you can see, these sites differ quite a bit in how many calories they say a margarita has. I guess with any mixed drink it depends on the person doing the mixing and how much they use of each ingredient. A glass of wine is more straightforward, as long as you know how many oz/mls it is.

Enjoy!
  • Pumpkinandbenny
    Pumpkinandbenny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I go with wine as well. But like everything else check the portion size. Some wine glasses at restaurant are quite large now so you may be getting more wine than you might think in a glass of wine.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've had a lot better results losing when I avoid alcohol altogether.

Try a NorCal Margarita:

2 shots good tequila
    the juice and pulp of one lime
    club soda
    shake and serve over ice

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What do you like the best?

If you're going to limit yourself to one...drink that.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Wine spritzer
    Diet soda with shot of flavored vodka
    Light beer
    Bloody Mary
    Skinny cosmo, margarita and so on. Most chain restaurants have this option now.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Drink what you like but know that hard alcohol has around 70 calories an ounce and liqueurs (common in fancy cocktails - like the Triple Sec or Cointreau in margaritas/Cosmopolitans) can have more (thanks to the sugar.) Add those to juices, simple syrup, and similar ingredients often found in fancy mixed drinks and you're often looking at a 400+ calorie cocktail (especially as they're often 2-3 oz of alcohol alone.)

Also keep in mind that a lot of bars, even in restaurants, definitely don't pour accurately, and your drink can have more than you expect in it (even a 6oz glass of wine can end up more like 8oz without you noticing), so if you're going to drink, make sure you budget a pretty big cushion of calories.

When I drink on a diet, I like wine, bottled beer, or Scotch, as it's easier for me to estimate calories without having to guess how much sugar was in the lime mix for my margarita or whatever. But I'd never drink something I don't enjoy just to save calories.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I would probably just stick with water unless I REALLY wanted that drink. I LOVE margaritas, but they are so hard to count when eating out. So, I usually just save them for special occasion scenarios. If you want to drink find something that is easier to count like @peleroja said, a bottled beer or wine.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you know where you are going, look at the menu now (or think about it if you don't have access to the menu but have been there in the past) and plan ahead. You should be able to fit in one of pretty much any drink if you are planning ahead.
  • fgleiser
    fgleiser Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of glasses of wine or beer every weekend. That's my alcohol intake for the week. It hasnt prevented me from losing weight
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead is good, I do. If I know I'm going out, I'll eat less calories during the day. If I have a drink depends on if I'm driving or not. If I'm not driving I wait till I get there, look at the drink menu than decide what I feel like having.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would drink what you want. I haven't logged an alcoholic drink in quite some time and my losses are on target. Though I don't drink often, a couple of glasses of wine 1-2 times per month. If you drink a lot, then I would log it but if it's a one-time event, I would enjoy myself and go with the night.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Gimlet - Vodka and lime juice.
  • michelle1173
    michelle1173 Posts: 158 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I typically just have water if I'm going out with my husband or meeting a close friend for dinner. I'm thinking that someone may bring a bottle of wine, since both of these are more celebratory (special evening out) dinners. I will look up the calories for the things everyone mentioned. If I feel like having a drink, I'll know what to get.

As far as dessert, I'm either going to avoid it all together or I will just have a spoonful of something another person is getting. Some of the calories in these desserts are ridiculous, and desserts are one of my weakness. If it is front of me, I'll eat the whole thing. :smile: