Late at night and under calories.

Options
Imagine you're under your calories. Let's say you're under 1000 and it's after 1030 at night. What do you do? Do you just avoid it and do better tomorrow or do you grab something to push up the intake? If you choose the latter, what kind of food option would you go with?

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Fruits and Vegetable Snacks. :D It really depends on the day however, sometimes I will just down some more water and hit the hay so I dont eat those extra calories, other times, go ahead ;D
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese late at night
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If I were under my 1000, I would probably go for almonds, fruits, and veggies with light ranch dressing. :) I love to snack on almonds late at night.
  • minniebee
    minniebee Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I probably would reach for milk. Put some in a mug and warm it up with a little vanilla and a little bit of sweetener (honey, sugar, or whatever you normally use.) It will be a dessert for you, but the warm milk will actually help you sleep better. It's what my Mom would do for me as a kid when I couldn't sleep. :flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a handful of almonds and plan it better for tomorrow!
    I think you need to be much closer to your calorie goal, but every day is not going to be perfect, it's OK to be under one day, just make sure tomorrow is a good one.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Generally, a light snack such as cottage cheese and fruit, protein shake, peanut butter or a big glass of chocolate milk. Eating late won't cause a problem for most people.

There's a good chance you'll be hungrier tomorrow, so you can also increase cals a bit tomorrow as well.

And in the future, just try to plan as well as you can. One day isn't a huge deal. You'll typically only see problems if it becomes a frequent thing.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You could try a bowl of oatmeal. A lot of times I find that helps me. Warm in the tummy helps me relax and sleep. Or the pb we talked about. :)
  • adrianamezam
    Options
    i've had this same issue...im a dairy kinda girl. i usually go for a light yogurt or a glass of milk, i add nutmeg to mine and warm it up....mmmmm! or a small piece of cheese. hopefully that helps. almonds are also a good choice! good luck! and try for a better tomorrow!
  • Caramel787
    Caramel787 Posts: 8
    Options
    Anything low in calories like fruit, veggies, or nuts.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, oatmeal, milk, peanut butter toast...
  • CriticalX
    Options
    I probably would reach for milk. Put some in a mug and warm it up with a little vanilla and a little bit of sweetener (honey, sugar, or whatever you normally use.) It will be a dessert for you, but the warm milk will actually help you sleep better. It's what my Mom would do for me as a kid when I couldn't sleep. :flowerforyou:
    milk late at night?
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    a guy at work is adamant that calories don't matter; just when you eat carbs. He tells me carbs within 6 hrs of sleep cause weight gain. Should I avoid carbs late in the day?
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I'd relax and go to bed. One day under calories is not going to drive you into the dreaded starvation mode. Our bodies aren't that finicky...if they were, our species never would have made it. So trying to find the missing calories just because the counter told you to (and not because you are hungry) is unnecessary.

If it happened every night, then I'd go over my diet and try to figure out how to plan better, make more appetizing meals, include more nutrient dense foods, etc.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    milk late at night?

I have milk late at night and I do just fine. :)
  • minniebee
    minniebee Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    milk late at night?
    I was trying to think of something that would be fairly caloric, because she is down 1,000+ calories. I suppose nuts would also be a good option (as other people have said.) But yes, milk was my first response.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    milk late at night?

I've heard that milk and fruits are horrible late at night. Am I wrong?
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    milk late at night?
    I was trying to think of something that would be fairly caloric, because she is down 1,000+ calories. I suppose nuts would also be a good option (as other people have said.) But yes, milk was my first response.

Guess I've confused people with my style of writing. Maybe I should've said I have eaten less than 1,000 calories. My goal is 1450 I believe.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it if I wasn't hungry, but if I was, I'd go with cottage cheese, a few slices of lean turkey or ham, or a little fruit. The occasional day here and there under the calorie goal isn't that big of a deal, and I figure it offsets the days where it is a little over. But you may be a little hungrier the next day, so make sure you plan to eat a healthy breakfast with staying power (ie, should definitely contain some protein).
  • CriticalX
    Options
    a guy at work is adamant that calories don't matter; just when you eat carbs. He tells me carbs within 6 hrs of sleep cause weight gain. Should I avoid carbs late in the day?
    it's not about when you fill up, it's about how much fuel is in the tank
  • mvln
    mvln Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a low carb protein shake and have almonds on the side. That's easily 300 calories. The good thing is they are high protein, low carb and good fat.