Fasting...

Options
Does anyone know about fasting? Does fasting for a day help weight loss? Disadvantages of it? My friends think it's not healthy but think It helps reset your body...any input would be awesome!

Replies

• dance_1101
    dance_1101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've fasted before it really is pointless because you become really lethargic and it is hard to focus. But if you fast for a week or so you will loose weight. If you only fast for a day it is just water weight your are losing, maybe even nothing. Exercising is the best way to lose weight. Good Luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Fasting for one day? Probably not going to meaningfully affect you one way or another.

Some people do a program called intermittent fasting. I personally don't know much about it, so would suggest looking for a group on here that would be able to get you more specific information.

As for weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficit. That is, eat less calories than you burn.

How you accomplish that (whether eating a steady # of calories every day or doing a program like intermittent fasting) is purely personal preference.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    dance_1101 wrote: »
    I've fasted before it really is pointless because you become really lethargic and it is hard to focus. But if you fast for a week or so you will loose weight. If you only fast for a day it is just water weight your are losing, maybe even nothing. Exercising is the best way to lose weight. Good Luck!

No it is not. Being in a calorie deficit is the best way to lose weight.

OP fasting to lose weight is probably not a smart idea. I see no pros doing this and a bunch of cons when food is reintroduced.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Human bodies do not need resetting.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    One day of fasting won't do much more than empty your gut. And as long as you don't make up for it on other days, you'll lose about half a pound from a day of fasting.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Fasting by itself won't help you with weight loss. You still have to eat at a calorie deficit. Some people use regular fasting to help them achieve this deficit. Also some feel sick and weak when they fast and some feel the opposite. It's highly individual. I don't know, but it might not be a good idea for someone with medical issues, like diabetes for example.

I practice a type of intermittent fasting. It's helping me to stay within my calorie goal, but it definitely isn't for everyone.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Human bodies do not need resetting.

you, don't have a reset button on the back of your head....?

OP - in all seriousness what you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. There are a number of tools - low carb, IIFYM, intermittent fasting, etc - that will help you get there, but at the end of the day it all boils down to calories in vs calories out....
  • jenklausy24
    jenklausy24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you all shared about this topic! It has helped a lot. Thank you all!