Looking for former vegetarians

Options
2»

Replies

• photosarah
    photosarah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's been very useful to read all the posts on this thread, and I would be very interested in hearing an update about your experience. I was raised a pescetarian (and thus have been one for about 29 years), and I get sick when I accidentally eat meat. However, I travel a lot and am a foodie, and would really appreciate being able to eat regional cuisines when I'm abroad.
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i don't like meat very much either, if i do eat any meat it's low sodium turkey bacon as a snack, i've started to like gorton's salmon (they're frozen into little 1 portion servings for you) because it's easy and not gross to deal with, sometimes i'll eat chicken and turkey if i go out, but mostly i eat veggie substitutes still.

i really hate touching meat, it grosses me out. for me, even though it costs more, if i want some kind of meat i will either get something set up to cook from whole foods (like how they have the little piece of chicken or fish already cut and seasoned and all pretty so i don't have to get rid of all the gross parts) or get frozen options like the gorton's fish, they have flash frozen chicken breasts that are "safe" options too as far as the gross factor, you can just get them and put the meat in a baggie with some soy sauce or seasonall or something in the morning in the fridge and cook it when you get home. but i'm much pickier with chicken!

you can try just adding it in every couple weeks and make it a part of a nice meal like with getting one of those all-ready-to-cook options from whole foods and maybe learn how to cook them for yourself or just stick like me and keep on like that depending on whether or not you mind dealing with meat.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great thread :)

I was vegetarian for about 7 or 8 years, and didn't really eat meat often before that. When I started logging my food here I was shocked at how little protein I was getting, even on days when I was trying really hard to eat lots of protein.

A few weeks ago I started by ordering some bacon at breakfast, had a bit of chicken for dinner a few nights later. Ate the BBQ spare ribs I've been craving off and on for the last few years but kept avoiding. It is a bit overwhelming now going to a restaurant for dinner and being able to order anything on the menu after being so used to having one or two crappy veggie options to choose from.

I was expecting horrible stomach pains because of enzymes or whatever, but I've been fine so far. Just a pleasant full feeling after eating meat that I've been missing for awhile.

I still haven't managed to cook meat, even before I went vegetarian the most I would have done is warm up some fish sticks. I think that will take a bit to work up too, for now I'm mostly just eating meat at restaurants and munching on entirely too many pepperoni sticks and beef jerky.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but enjoyed your posts. I have a teenager daughter that is vegetarian and has been for 2 years now and during those two years, her health has gone to crap (rapid weight gain, lethargic, moody, pre-diabetic, deficient in certain vitamins, etc) and I don't know how to help her though I know eating meat will get her back on track, but I can't push her back.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    About the "yuck" factor... I was very fortunate that even though the decision to try to control my diabetes with LCHF and to eat meat was mine, my husband cooked all the meals we had at home. Not only that but he went to great lengths to disguise the meats and make it more palatable to me. If it was not like that I'm not sure I would have survived the first months.

It was only recently that I cooked my first steak and, surprisingly, I was ready to do it. I feel like I've finally grown up past my teens. All the benefits I've been experiencing made it clear that my body needs meat and I've accepted that I need the death of animals so that I can be healthy (I've also lost the peace and love vision of vegetarianism as harmless to other beings, but that's another issue). I feel grateful for the lives I'm taking, I doubt I'll ever lose that. But I had to choose and I've chosen to give my body what it needs.
  • VandyGear03
    VandyGear03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for about 18 years, starting in my early teens. I suffered from depression in college and as a young adult, plus it was normal for me to have some pretty painful indigestion after meals. I decided to try adding meat because I just wasn't gaining any strength at the gym. No matter what I did, I couldn't lift more weight. Unfortunately, I was totally grossed out by the thought of meat.

I started by eating white fish, because it was tasteless enough that it reminded me of tofu. Similarly, crab meat was workable for me because it didn't remind me of the animal it came from. It took a couple of months to work up to salmon, since the pinkness of the flesh wasn't appealing. Once I got to salmon, it was a little easier to try ground meats (again, because they didn't remind me of an animal). I would say it was about a year from when I started eating meat to the time when I could start cooking raw meat, and it also took a while to be able to eat anything like chicken that had bones in it. Throughout that whole time, the only thing holding me back was psychological; I never had any negative physical reaction to any meat (barring one unfortunately sushi food poisoning incident).

Once I eliminated soy and fake meat and stopped eating non-fermented dairy, my stomach problems went away. Skin rashes that I thought were permanent disappeared. I was able to stop my anti-depressant medication after nearly a decade. I don't know for sure that eating meat and eliminating soy and most dairy and bread was the cause, but I am grateful for feeling more healthy most of the time.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 18 years, and for the past two, have been eating fish and seafood. For some reason, I found that easier for me. Maybe because they aren't cute furry animals? I don't know! It was difficult at first. I'd have to have everything cooked well done. I'm still kind of like that, I still get a little grossed out.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for three years and recently stopped due to my worsening ibs. After doing the low fodmap diet I found my biggest sensitivities were wheat and beans which are a large part of a veggie diet. I switch back to meat and I eat bacon and chicken most. It still grosses me out I eat a chunk of fat though so that I don't like but my ibs has improved
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm easily grossed out by raw meat so one thing I do to make the cooking easier on me is bake it. So for example if I'm making chicken stir fry, I'll just throw the chicken breast in the oven for like 30 or 40 minutes at 400 degrees F until it's cooked, THEN cut it up, then cook up my stir fry. You can also buy pre cut meats so you don't have to deal with it yourself. The cooking it in the oven thing is just good for me because it's out of sight, out of mind.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for 15 ish years. Started eating dairy, then eggs, then chicken. I eat a lot of chicken and fish these days. It has improved my health tremendously. I was sick all the time, anemic, and had blood sugar problems. Now I'm healthy as a horse. If you don't like meat, eat small quantities with lots of condiments.