First timer. Scared S***less! =D

Options
Hey all,

The name's Briony and a friend recommended this website to me. I'm 110kg (around 240 lbs) and have struggled with my weight & fitness for the majority of my 30 years, so I figured I give it a try. And I'm so glad I did! The format of the website makes it so easy to track what I eat, and reading some members journeys and success stories has been so inspirational! I need this website. I need the support and I need to be held accountable. I've learned to hide behind my weight and the thought of taking control and putting myself out there scares me, but I'm sick of living a half-life!

In addition wanting to lose 50kg (110lbs), I have made a list of mini goals that I'm going to stick on the refrigerator & mark off as I reach each goal.

I want to be able to:
- Cross my legs.
- Paint my toe nails.
- Run upstairs without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack.
- Fit into a booth at a restaurant.
- Put my socks / shoes on without having to hold my breath or feel like I'm about to explode..
- Do man-push-ups.
- Shop in normal stores, not 'plus sized' stores.
- Fit into a pair of knee length boots, not just ankle boots.
- Get up in the morning and not hobble around like an old lady for an hour.
- Sit cross-legged on the floor without having to hunch forward to stop from tipping backwards.
- Jump on a trampoline without worrying that my stomach / boobs are going to jump out of my clothes.
- Not have to wear a long singlet under everything so my stomach doesn't peak out from underneath.
- Touch my toes
- Buy rings and not have to get them resized 2 or 3 sizes larger.
- Not be jealous of my slimmer family & friends ** I HATE this one. I love my family and I have the most fantastic and supportive friends, but I just CAN NOT help but feel envious whenever I see them. I feel so guilty that I've actually gone home and cried, but I can't seem to stop = (

I dare me to succeed. No! I DOUBLE dare me!

Replies

• sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    I triple dog dare you! We're here to support you in all of your goals. you can do it!!! :)
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    way to have a positive outlook, thats the most important thing you can have on your journey! welcome and good luck!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do it! No doubt!
  • lordcarvin
    lordcarvin Posts: 12
    Options
    Rock on !!!!!! You can do it...
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi there Briony! Please check out my profile .... and friend me!
    You seem like the kind of person I would like to help support....
    I love your sunshine attitude... but dont be scared... today you start the REST of your life. You are not here to lose weight quickly, you are here to find a healthy lifestyle.... its about more than just the scale... if you dont believe me... check out my new blog post.

www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/emmaleigh47
  • wongsuzy
    wongsuzy Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, except that I'm 28 yrs older than you and my name isn't Briony, you just wrote my story. I feel exactly as you do. This site will help you heaps and you'll always find an answer to your queries because there are some very clever people on here who have done it all and are willing to share. Good luck.
  • charitydc
    charitydc Posts: 106
    Options
    Welcome! This is such a wonderful site...It's so "real"...We not only share our successes but our challenges too...It's not a place where you see before and after pics and not know what the struggle it was in between. You are definitely taking the step to the right direction! Best of luck to you!!!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Welcome Briony!!! I'm here for you if you want a support buddy! You sound awesome, and I know you can do it! You have a great attitude!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: You will be able to mark off many of those things sooner than you think. Good luck to you!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi Briony,

Nice name by the way, I've never heard it before and NO that's not a pick up line!

Welcome to MFP(As it's lovingly called by fellow members),

Why is your title to the introduction letter "First timer scared S***less"? I got the "First timer" part, but why the rest?

Nothing to be scared about! Dieting is the first step to becoming a new you. I know you didn't say you wanted to become a new person, but it will change your life. For the better.

Well your making the first step, ¬your on here with the intent to lose weight. While this site is great and the people are great, this site can only do so much, it’s up to you to do it.

You can do it, it’s not easy but the things that are worth it aren’t easy. But, they’re well worth it in the end!

I’d recommend start to read or research whatever you want to call it. You don’t have to be an expert on the matter, but you will get to know a lot about food and nutrition and exercise.

I would also recommend on doing some kind of exercising. Exercising of some sort is almost mandatory, losing weight can be done without exercising, but it will take at least twice as long and not as effective.

Exercising can be as simple as walking, which is always a good one. Joining a gym is great(don’t let it intimidate you, they’re all people with the same goals. To get in better shape!) As soon as you get used to going there, it is a great place to learn more “Tricks of the trade” on getting in shape. Treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine, swimming, spinning classes, aerobics(Actually a good place to start, if you’re not used to exercising) .

This forum is great and everyone is friendly and helpful.

There are plenty of helpful articles out there. But watch out for the ones that are written trying to promote a specfic product. There is no miracle product out there to make you lose weight. It's determination and more determination and watching what you eat.

Here is a good article on "The basics of losing weight"
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/howtoloseweight.htm

A link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/lowcarb.htm

A link about dieting
    http://exercise.about.com/sitesearch.htm?q=What+is+a+proper+diet?&SUName=exercise

Another link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/od/nutrition/Nutrition.htm

I use About.com a lot for research.

You can do it, just stay with it. Even when you get frustrated.

Good luck in reaching your goals!

Dustin
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    don't be scared s***less you've done a good thing.

I feel with friends it makes all the difference with support and motivation.

Feel free to add me :)
  • Briony_bee
    Briony_bee Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks so much for the words of encouragement, guys! This is exactly what I need.
    Special thanks to Dustin for the info and links. Much appreciated.

Briony xox