calories earned through exercise

Options
Ok so I work ten hour days and have two kids but i work out at least 3 days a week for 45 minutes but since i dont get out of work till late I'm not sure which days i will actually end up working out so i dont always eat all of my extra calories i earned is that bad will it hurt me in the long run?

Replies

• lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I asked my trainer about this and he said that if you are trying to lose that you shouldn't eat back all of your exercise calories. Eating back all of your exercise calories are for people trying to maintain.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bahahahaha here we go...
  • svarble
    svarble Posts: 15
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. How can you lose weight if you are eating back the calories you just burned? I'm not sure how all that works?
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I can tell you now, I've been eating back all my calories (for the exception of the occasional days where I was too stuffed to do so) and I have already lost 12 pounds in doing so.

If you set your calorie intake to something like 1200 or so... yes eat back those dang calories you burned during your workout! Your body automatically burns much more than 1200 calories a day just by living... lol so in the end you will lose weight... just eat right and you should be fine.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just stick to a set calorie amount 1200-1500 regardless of exercise....the site itself is based on the fact that you eat them back because when you put in your goals it creates a deficit for you and as long as your 100% with your caloric intake and getting a correct rate of calories burned during exercise then you are probably going to be fine eating some or all of them back....for me I never have eaten them back because my Dietician has advised me not to ...both options work it just depends on your body so do what works best for you.
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you have a calorie deficit already in place to lose x number of lbs a week, you eat back what your exercised and will continue to lose weight.
  • Calorie_Ninja
    Calorie_Ninja Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, the big calorie debate! My head is still spinning! Everyone on here says you have to always eat all of your exercise calories or your body will go into starvation mode but I don't know what to believe. Has anyone talked to a registered nutritionist about this??
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, the big calorie debate! My head is still spinning! Everyone on here says you have to always eat all of your exercise calories or your body will go into starvation mode but I don't know what to believe. Has anyone talked to a registered nutritionist about this??
    I have but I've learned not to stir up the forums LOL..just gotta worry about my own journey and wish others the best in theirs however they choose to do it ...
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    this site has stickies in the "general diet" part of the forum about eating back your calories, it might be worth looking through... :)
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    calorie ninja i have and i was told that eating back your exercise calories is not advisable for a weight-loss program and that the effects of "starvation mode" on overweight people attempting to lose weight are greatly exaggerated.