Couch to 5k

Options
i am just considering starting coach to 5k on my treadmill, it desperately needs to be used, rather than a pram stand !! Can it help you loose weight ? Any motivational stories for me? Help need to loose 3 stone asap!, tia

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. You can create this with food intake alone. No need for exercise at all.

Most people find though that exercising means they can eat a bit more and still lose at a decent rate. It also helps improve appearance and fitness levels.

I never did finish Zombies,Run!5k (C25k program), but I got all the way through week 7. It was fun and a decent calorie burn. I don't know about the C25k program most people use, but the Zombie,Run!5k was easier to do on a track. Mostly because it had you do walk run drills and squats, heel lifts (calf raises), high knees, or skipping in between the rounds of walk/run drills.

I just run to the Zombies,Run! app now. However, I might have to stop running here in a bit. My sports bra's are starting to get to big and until I can afford another high impact compression bra, I'll have to opt out of running.
  • fat_killer1
    fat_killer1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    hi i seen a few nice videos on youtube that people that done :pensive:
  • MichB1976
    MichB1976 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I have reduced my calorie intake to 1200 a day for the past 6 months but absolutely nothing is happening, so need to get exercising !! I used to be really active in my job, on my feet all day but piled on the pounds in my sit down job and now after having my daughter .... So thought the coach to 5k would/ could be good
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The thing with reducing your calories is your metabolism is a smart thing, it learns how many calories are coming in and slows itself to make it work. It's a far better strategy to eat more and burn it off with exercise either distance running or HIIT.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying it, but I do it outside because I hate treadmills. I use the C25k app from Zenlabs, it's pretty good, and simple. You can join us over here (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10167637/couch-to-5k-start#latest) for support!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MichB1976 wrote: »
    Thank you, I have reduced my calorie intake to 1200 a day for the past 6 months but absolutely nothing is happening, so need to get exercising !! I used to be really active in my job, on my feet all day but piled on the pounds in my sit down job and now after having my daughter .... So thought the coach to 5k would/ could be good

Do you weigh everything you eat with food scales?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love the Couch to 5k, it is how I started running. I'd highly recommend it, what do you have to lose other than inches?
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I stagger in and out of jogging on my treadmill. I do a 5k about once a week. HIIT on some days, and a 3k in between. Makes me feel better, but I always count the calories. The treadmill is the icing on the journal cake. Journal, journal, journal! Been at it for at least 60 days now.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options

When in doubt, I weigh my food.

• MichB1976
    Options

Hi no not everything, majority of things......
  • MichB1976
    Options
    I love the Couch to 5k, it is how I started running. I'd highly recommend it, what do you have to lose other than inches?

Do you run on the treadmill or outside ? I want to use the treadmill, but tried session one of coach to 5 k and think I need to build up to jogging lol so unfit
  • sjrutherf
    sjrutherf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the first day of C25K on the treadmill as well! I am told it gets easier...
  • MichB1976
    Options
    Thank you , I hope so
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Years ago, I went from couch to half marathon. I wasn't actually a total couch potato (I biked up to 20 miles a day consistently about two summers before that), but I was by no means a runner and hadn't really done anything very active on a consistent basis for a year before starting the program. Completing my first half marathon felt amazing. Now, I really enjoy running. I think I weighed about 110 lbs on the day I ran the half and could have eaten about 99 pizzas a week at the rate I was burning. I've since put some weight back on, that was too skinny!

And, FWIW, the first 2 miles of every run are always the hardest no matter how much running I've done.