How do I maintain and still have a deficit??

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    morrprop wrote: »
    Bizurke51 wrote: »
    Here is my problem - I'm at my goal (Male,5'7 150lbs) I have been averaging about 1600 calories a day for the past few months and lost 14lbs in the last two months. I work out 4-5 times a week. I'm not looking to build huge muscle mass. After my regular meals and snacks I'm full and find that if I do decide to eat extra calories I'm eating unhealthy foods. So, How do I maintain my weight as I don't think I should go under 150 and I can't really increase my meals as I'm full now. I assume if I keep going with the same eating habits I'm going to continue to lose weight. I'd love to eat more of that "bad" foods but I don't think that is the smart way to go either.
    Suggestions?

I'm having this issue too, but everyone is saying it's ok to eat junk food if u stay under budget. Just get protein and other healthy food too.

If you want to increase calories without ratting junk just eat more good food or eat higher calorie food. Start mixing peanut butter in your diet, 180 for 2 spoon fulls. Maybe go from almond milk to Fat free or 1%. Simple stuff like that.

That is a good idea. as an example I use fat free milk, can go to 1% and see what happens. I'm happy to eat more of the things I really like (ice cream, Nachos) but other then a few times a month as I do now I did not think the healthy way to do it was to increase that type of stuff.

dietary fat IS healthy...you need dietary fat. stop drinking fat free milk and hell, go to 2%. Eat some nuts...avocados...cook with some olive oil...eat some cheese...have some peanutbutter.

people who have difficulty reaching paltry calorie targets most often have cut out way too much fat from their diet due to not understanding how essential dietary fat really is. It's healthy...

Yep. I understand that fat is healthy and still cut out way too much by accident because I like to eat high volume. I'm trying to get some back in and I actually get excited if my fat goes up because I eat chocolate or ice cream.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Here is my problem - I'm at my goal (Male,5'7 150lbs) I have been averaging about 1600 calories a day for the past few months and lost 14lbs in the last two months. I work out 4-5 times a week. I'm not looking to build huge muscle mass. After my regular meals and snacks I'm full and find that if I do decide to eat extra calories I'm eating unhealthy foods. So, How do I maintain my weight as I don't think I should go under 150 and I can't really increase my meals as I'm full now. I assume if I keep going with the same eating habits I'm going to continue to lose weight. I'd love to eat more of that "bad" foods but I don't think that is the smart way to go either.
    Suggestions?
    Give us some idea what you consider "unhealthy foods" or "bad" & we can give you example how to fit more cals into your diet.

IF you want to stay at 150 then we need to know your true maintenance at your current activity level. We know MFP give you a number that should be your TDEE but that is just a close guesstimate. We want your true TDEE for you at your current activity level at 150lbs.

To do that we would look at your average loss of weight the past 3-4 weeks and figure out how many calories you need above 1600 for to get you close to maintenance.

Since we know that a lb=3500 calories this can be figured out just like the following example.
    If you were losing .5lb a week you would add 1700 cals to your weekly total or 243 cal daily.

Add these calories and scale your weight after 3-4 weeks and adjust again if needed.
  • KenSD
    KenSD Posts: 229 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am maintaining at about 1800 cal I have a weight range of about an 8 pound variable depending on the foods I eat whether they are sodium heavy... And the amount of water that I retain and then I dispel...
    By the book ( 2200 ) I should be losing...

• KenSD
    KenSD Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind not everyone is the same everyone's metabolism is different The numbers will not be correct you have to find your own stride
  • morrprop
    morrprop Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    Everyone is different. Change your carb to protein ratio. Eat a little more fat. You never gave your height, but 150lbs sounds very light to me

36 years old... 5'7 and male...
    whats a good ratio?
  • morrprop
    morrprop Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Suggestions?
    Give us some idea what you consider "unhealthy foods" or "bad" & we can give you example how to fit more cals into your diet.

IF you want to stay at 150 then we need to know your true maintenance at your current activity level. We know MFP give you a number that should be your TDEE but that is just a close guesstimate. We want your true TDEE for you at your current activity level at 150lbs.

To do that we would look at your average loss of weight the past 3-4 weeks and figure out how many calories you need above 1600 for to get you close to maintenance.

Since we know that a lb=3500 calories this can be figured out just like the following example.
    If you were losing .5lb a week you would add 1700 cals to your weekly total or 243 cal daily.

Add these calories and scale your weight after 3-4 weeks and adjust again if needed.

Thanks for the input. Hope you can help me. Are you able to view my diary? I have it public.
    Unhealthy and bad foods to me are ice cream and nachos chips with lots of cheese. Those are my biggest late night snack that I'm trying to avoid. I had great success in losing the 15lbs in 60 days that I wanted to. I know some people probably consider 4-6 lbs as an acceptable maintenance allowance but as soon as I hit 150 and put my calorie intake up to MFP maintenance of about 2200 I gained 2.5lbs in 4 days.

I have now set it at 1700 to see if I can quickly lose those 2.5 and than will try 1900 to see if that works. Or maybe I need to get into the 147-148 range?

Thoughts?