has the "Wooosh" ever happened to you.

Options
inyasha23
inyasha23 Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
how many pounds did you lose.
90i50mgvkvme.jpeg

if someone can explain how this works in more detail that would be great.

Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    this has no scientific basis and does not accurately reflect fat metabolism.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I hope it's a myth, because it has *never* happened for me.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just lost 5 calories laughing at the diagram
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    yeah...don't we wish
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight that way. Definitely not a myth. I'd stop losing anything 2 weeks before my period, then have a woosh the week after and I've lost 60 pounds that way... only the week after my period. The record is 6 pounds in 2 days, I think.. but it's been a while as I've been maintaining for a year.
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I lost most of my weight that way. Definitely not a myth. I'd stop losing anything 2 weeks before my period, then have a woosh the week after and I've lost 60 pounds that way... only the week after my period. The record is 6 pounds in 2 days, I think.. but it's been a while as I've been maintaining for a year.

I'm mostly losing that way. My weight is more likely to increase in the weeks before my period than anything. Then my period hits, and I either lose then or the week after.Typically drop 1 to 3 lbs.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm not vouching for the diagram, but most of the last 30 pounds I've lost has occurred in a much more stairstep fashion than it did before. My graph has been either flat or the weight has been pouring off. I've lost seven pounds in nine days after being flat or slightly gaining for two weeks.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    That's how it usually happens with me. Don't lose anything for two weeks, then wham, three pounds lost. Long past TOM age . . .
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I lost in wooshes too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Not that I recall.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    At the mid point of my cut I didn't lose a single pound for 3 weeks then one day weighed in and I was 6lbs down. weigh ins all depend on hydration and water retention
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    A month ago I was at same weight for two weeks then I lost 5 lbs. Lost one more and have been same since but my nutrition has not been to good so trying to refocus!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    A month ago I was at same weight for two weeks then I lost 5 lbs. Lost one more and have been same since but my nutrition has not been to good so trying to refocus!

Just believe in CICO and you'll win!!!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Absolutely

I have been on a moderate carb reduction for a year and a half

I eat carbs in veggies and fruits. I was told not to worry about plateaus because some people, not all people, hold water temporarily while losing fat stores.

When the body is satisfied the change is permanent it releases the associated water.

Is it true? I have experienced a few large weight drops after a week of nothing,

Not sure that makes this theory a fact but I have experienced those plateau effect losses

Who cares really? If we stick with it we lose fat, either slow and steady or in plateau type drops.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer and advocate of the Woosh effect. I first experienced it while meticulously calorie counting during a cut and getting a plateau of a few weeks, then Bam! I was back exactly on track overnight. It has happened every time I've cut. It makes total sense to me, especially when Lyle MacDonald explains it. No, there's no proof, but whatever it is, it happens, one day I wake up and I'm completely on track. It's weird.
  • forme1415
    forme1415 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is the only way I lose weight. My weight will stay the same or close to the same for 10-14ish days and then all the sudden over the course of a couple days I will lose a ton of weight. My record is 12 pounds in four days, then of course I will lose nothing for another two weeks or so then again... whoooosh!
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    After a two-month long plateau, I'm down almost 4 lbs today from my previous lowest weight. That's pretty much the way I've lost from the beginning, but it's certainly nice to see it happen again after so long... (note: not all in on the "science" behind the OP's posted drawing, but my body certainly seems to lose weight via the whoosh, regardless of the reasons)...
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    flinx1241 wrote: »
    After a two-month long plateau, I'm down almost 4 lbs today from my previous lowest weight. That's pretty much the way I've lost from the beginning, but it's certainly nice to see it happen again after so long... (note: not all in on the "science" behind the OP's posted drawing, but my body certainly seems to lose weight via the whoosh, regardless of the reasons)...

Yes!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    actually I agree that the picture is not accurate - but it's a fun graphic

and the whoosh absolutely does happen, possibly more so with women

In my personal experience after the first 6 or 8 weeks of lower calorie I switched to a higher intake (from 2lbs to 1lbs then to 0.5lbs) and seemed to have stalls for a week to 2 weeks with just fluctuations up and down of a couple of pounds then a drop and it would fluctuate the same couple of pounds then drop again 2-3 weeks later.

It was affected by sodium and exercise change-up - but I think the main thing was hormonal shifts around ovulation and periods ..

the overall trendline I can get through trendweight.com worked best for me as I tracked this .. you can get similar from happy scale and libra apps .. I'm sure there's more

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yep, happened yesterday! I can always tell when the next day will be a weight loss day!