Stretching before and after?

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
My whole life I have never done much stretching before exercise. I'm not really sure what to do, and I've never seen the need. Of course, ive done a lot of stupid things my whole life, so I try not to let that keep me doing them!

I work out first thing in the morning. Basically, I roll out of bed, hit the bathroom, maybe grab 6 or so ounces of water then start my interval training. Do I need to be stretching before I do this? And if so, can you direct me to any good references on the subject?I have not had injuries yet, but I am worried I will. My body isn't used to the pounding I've given it the last six weeks.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• Phoenyxtears
    Phoenyxtears Posts: 173
    Options
    Bump! I've been wondering also
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    As I have switched to distance running, much of the research I have found suggests a warm up of 10 or so minutes then stretch after exercising. It has worked good for me so far. I'm 5'8'', 225, and just completed the Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon. But every person is different.
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I've heard to stretch after your workout. Before you should just do some warmups to get the blood flowing...just what I've heard.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have always been told to stretch before and after exercising. In the Insanity DVDs, you first warm up for a little bit (jogging, jumping jacks, high knees, etc) and then you stretch, and then get deep into the exercise, and then the afterworkout stretch. I found this kind of odd.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Warm up before, stretch really well after. If you want, warm up a little, then stretch, then work out and stretch again after, but don't try stretching cold muscles. You have to get the blood circulating first.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Definitely Stretch AFTER you work out. You will notice a big difference in how your muscles feel if you attempt to stretch when they are Cold (before exercise no matter what time of day you work out) as opposed to stretching when they are Warm (immediately after your workout).
    It is best to begin with gentle walking or light versions of the exercise that you are about to do.
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I definitely say stretch after a work out and simply get a good warm up in before.
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    I think this explains a little why Insanity stretches the way they do before working out. You should be a tad more flexible when doing the exercises in the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFEs4qyVQuY&feature=player_embedded
  • bruceseverson
    Options
    Research report just came out that said injuries increased in those who did stretching before exercise, even if they stretched after. Best advice, warm up first, exercise, stretch after.

5255597.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    Warm up before, stretch really well after. If you want, warm up a little, then stretch, then work out and stretch again after, but don't try stretching cold muscles. You have to get the blood circulating first.
    ^ this
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few swim teams get in the water and do a warm-up... get out of the water to stretch... then get back in the water for the rest of their workout... and then stretching after. I don't know how you can knock stretching before as long as you don't kill it w/ the stretching.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Research report just came out that said injuries increased in those who did stretching before exercise, even if they stretched after. Best advice, warm up first, exercise, stretch after.

5255597.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Also this ^^^^^

Don't do static stretching before workout, do a warmup. Personally I just jump on the treadmill and do a quarter mile. That's enough to get my blood flowing.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I stretch after I workout, whether it be a video, weights, or running. This is what works best for me.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I never stretch.
    Not before
    Not after.

I do a
    :15 minute walking warmup, taking 20 minutes to get to my target HR (which can seem low)
    and
    I do a
    :15 Walk-only cool-down after run.

So my :80 minute run yesterday took me 110 minutes on my feet.
    ButI only count the Running Segment when I talk about my workouts.
    :-)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You *should* stretch thoroughly before and after exercise.

I don't.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

I agree. I've found excessive pre-stretching kills my strength.