I work nights- help!

Options
kdewey7
kdewey7 Posts: 13 Member
Looking for helpful suggestions for losing weight while working the noc shift.

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Ugh - I have rough memories of working 3rd for 3 years. I was a police officer at the time, so expected to be fit. I packed my lunch and snacks - biked to the precinct and put in 30 mins of cardio before and after every shift. At least 3 days a week I hit the gym religiously.

The biggest issue is holding to a routine. Is there anyone else working a similar shift that you can hold a routine with?
  • wendy75_512
    wendy75_512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also work 3rd shift and find it difficult to stick to an wating and workout routine. I find it easier if I plan ahead, make my lunches and schedule workouts.
  • wcope0412
    wcope0412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me when I worked night too. Because the only thing open was the huddle house!! I had to stop with all cokes and teas. And pretty much do like wendy75_512 said and pack a lunch. Or eat a grill chicken sandwich. Or a salad then make myself workout when I got home. Because I rode around all night. I hated eating and riding around all night. But there is nothing open that's healthy at night. So I had to make myself work out when I got home.
  • wcope0412
    wcope0412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver I feel ya pain I still am a cop been one for 15 years and I know what ya mean about the night shift. Lol
  • kdewey7
    kdewey7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, guys. What kind of exercise is best for after work?
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I work second shift. I've lost weight eating a shocking amount of Subway, TV dinners and frozen pizza. Fast food doesn't have to be the enemy. Most chains have nutrition info on their websites. Memorise what lunch-type items are more balanced and stick to them. Just watch the sodium.

You're probably not up for cooking when you get home so pre-plan dinners that can be whipped up fast, like eggs or soup. Or cook ahead with a crock pot if you're the organised type.

For exercise I like low-impact aerobics because no jumping means I don't wake the neighbours.
  • higgins1984
    higgins1984 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shifter working public safety worker too. Spend one day batch cooking all my meals and make it a habit to move as much as I can at work: 2 minutes of jumping jacks, 10 pushups, 10 sit ups, 2 more minutes of jumping jacks every hour or 2.
    Also our office provides a gym. Take my gym bag with me so I can work out on duty if it's slow or immediately after if it isn't. It's all about planning ahead. Maybe find a gym or walking path or something that's on your way home if that's not an option for you. If you're anything like me, I make it home and I'm done. I'm not doing anything but checking out the news and going to bed. But that's so I can keep a good sleep routine going which helps immensely with your weight on nights.
  • xReMaKe
    xReMaKe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work night shifts too , I however find it easier to lose weight , mostly due to the fact that when I'm not working , I knock out for most of the day then find myself trying grab anything to eat and end up eating very little , once in a while I'll get these bad cravings and having only Burger King and Wendy's in front of me , takes all I got to not go in there and just eat the menu lol . I go to the gym right after work , and sometimes right before work .
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kdewey7 wrote: »
    Looking for helpful suggestions for losing weight while working the noc shift.

Honestly, 3rd shift is no different than 1st. Pack your food, track your intake, move enough to make it count. I am, by nature, a night owl. I'll be nearly passing out during daylight, and wide awake once the sun goes down... Your meals will be shifted, sure, but if you're tracking everything religiously (goes along with packing your food, just like I would on day shift... if I didn't fast), you can still keep a handle on your caloric intake...