How to stop eating/not eat when you are full/shouldn't eat anymore.

Options

Replies

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but if I'm in a situation where I won't be able to whip out a kitchen scale and measuring tools (i.e., dining out) once I realize I'm no longer hungry I put my napkin in my plate. I'm not going to want to retrieve a filthy, food covered napkin from my plate and set it on a clean table just so I can start eating again.

Also, don't allow yourself to get so hungry before a meal that you literally feel you cannot control yourself. Have a snack. Eat a yogurt. Drink some water.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Set yourself up to win! Plan snacks so you're never ravenous. Only cook a small portion of a food you're likely to overeat - you might gobble down an extra serving of pasta, but you're less likely to go and cook yourself a whole second helping from scratch. Don't buy family sized chocolate bars or multipacks - when you've got room in your calories for a treat buy a single serving so you can't go past that.

If I'm having a low willpower day, a stick of sugar free gum will keep my mouth busy long enough to ride out that 15 minute period waiting for my brain to realize my stomach is full.

And change the mental record. Instead of 'omg but I just love chocolate I must eat more!' say 'I have the rest of my life ahead of me. I will have many, many chances to eat chocolate because I can fit it into a healthy diet. So I don't need to stuff this in now. There will still be kitkats around next week.'

It takes practice. But it's pretty much an essential thing to learn.
  • VyseN
    VyseN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    From my experience overeating, it's a pretty simple formula. Instead of eating huge meals twice a day, I started eating 5-6 small meals instead. I'm not saying a full blown meal, but eating a fruit or a vegetable at set times helps. Set up a eating schedule and try to stick to it. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Basically, all of my food-cravings were because of screwed up blood sugar, an unhealthy sleep cycle (that's what I get for working nights), and because I was dehydrated. Take small steps to set things straight, and things will get surprisingly simple.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    it took a month or two, but it helped me when I learned that I won't die if I eat to take the edge off of hunger and stop there. And longer than that to figure out the difference in sensations between physical and emotional/psychological hunger. I kind of had a false belief that I deserved to eat more. It works for me to eat 5-6 small meals, because I care more about eating often than seeing a whole plate full. Other people need to have that full plate to look at and eat clean at least once a day. You have to figure out what the heart of what motivates your over-eating and work on that. It was hard at first, to turn down 2nds and carefully control snacking, but now it's much easier. But as i said - took me several months to break those habits and feel good about it. Sometimes you just have to power through.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you have to exercise self control...
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    What I've found has changed the way I eat the most (restaurants in particular) is that when they bring you the round of ice water at the beginning of the meal? I drink it. All of it. I often get a refill and drink all of that too. THEN my food comes and I eat it, but I take my time and stop half way to think about whether or not I feel OK to stop. Often times, I DO, because I am one of those people who used to eat when she was thirsty.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Tips to help with portion control:
    1. Drink lots of water...especially before a meal or whenever you're starting to feel hungry.
    2. Plan out your food the prior day whenever possible....down to the ounce on each item if you can.
    3. Have quick snack items (low cal) that is built into your daily plan that you can grab and eat if you are trying to hold off a little bit before a meal. You don't want to be STARVING by the time you get to lunch or dinner.
    4. Use containers to pack your meals in when you take them to work for lunch or even dinner. As someone said earlier you'll eat whatever is in the container so don't put it in there if it doesn't fit your daily goal.
    5. Eat high fiber and high protein foods or maybe cut down a little bit on carbs if you find you're real heavy on them.
    6. Drink more water and never let yourself get to the point where your starving.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    the only thing that worked for me was to develop a habit, but to get there, I literally had to remove myself from things that triggered me to eat, or from the kitchen. For a while I literally just would not be home after meals (i would go to the gym, go for a walk, etc) or if I was home, I would stay as occupied as possible and as far away from the kitchen. Over time, that mental "eat eat eat" just goes away, it did take a few months though to make this feel like it's my 'lifestyle' and not just a 'diet' i'm following
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't even understand the question. How do you avoid running around the grocery store hitting yourself in the head with a loaf of bread shouting "I AM THE WALRUS?" How do you not cut down the largest tree in the forest with a herring? How do you not wear your underpants as a hat to your friend's wedding?

Ya just don't.

If I were to make a fool of myself by running around the grocery store hitting myself with a loaf of bread or wearing underpants as a hat, this would be hugely embarrassing to me, so I don't do it. Basically, there are immediate negative repercussions for that behavior.

If I eat a donut I'm not supposed to, no one gives a *kitten*. There are no immediate negative repercussions. So often the response is "Phuck it, who cares?" and you give in to the temptation.

Personally, I deal with it with drugs. No hunger, no willpower problem.
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    If I've reached my daily calorie limit, I stop eating, It's pretty straightforward.

I protect against not eating to much by weighing what I eat before I eat it. That's also pretty straightforward.

Agreed...having a calorie limit overrides the "this tastes good so I'm just going to eat as much of it as I want."

Not when you're addicted. If that's the case you struggle with that concept.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I love all of these tips! My advice is to exercise, getting cardio every day just seems to end bad food cravings for me, and buy some healthy food that you're not particularly fond of (say raw radishes or unsalted pistachios) and then when a craving hits say to yourself "well if this was real, true hunger, then I would eat the freakin radishes now wouldn't I?"

Ya, Mom used to say, "If you're not hungry enough for an apple, you're not hungry."

63aa7bc80ce8cddade72e11a00247fef.jpg

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I never let myself get so hungry that I will lose control of myself. At home I portion out only the food I'm planning to eat and I put the rest away. I pre-package snacks, especially higher calorie snacks like nuts and chocolate, into snack bags. In restaurants, I put away half of the meal before I eat anything. But it comes down to the commitment to log my food and rarely ever go over my allotted calories.
  • fitasacello
    fitasacello Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "If you're not hungry enough for an apple, you're not hungry."
    Mom-smarts!
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    the only thing that worked for me was to develop a habit, but to get there, I literally had to remove myself from things that triggered me to eat, or from the kitchen. For a while I literally just would not be home after meals (i would go to the gym, go for a walk, etc) or if I was home, I would stay as occupied as possible and as far away from the kitchen. Over time, that mental "eat eat eat" just goes away, it did take a few months though to make this feel like it's my 'lifestyle' and not just a 'diet' i'm following

I do the same thing. I tend to want to overeat at restaurants because the people around me are as well. When I visually see the amount of food I've eaten to be enough, I excuse myself from the table and walk to the restroom or the other side of the restaurant to break the cycle and when I return I ask for a box and make a statement about how good the food was to reassure myself that I've finished eating. Sometimes I'll even sit on my hands at the table while continuing to talk to a group.
    Another trick is eat slowly and chew slowly. It takes 20 to 25 minutes for hormones to tell our brain that we're full.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. The first thing I do every Monday is go to Saturday in my diary and quick add 2,500 calories. Then I start planning ahead usually by a day or two, sticking to a weekly calorie goal. I don't let myself get too hungry, and allow for a few hundred (yes, sometimes up to 500) calories for dessert.
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sweep4412 -- I often wonder this myself. I wonder how people can just stop eating. When I overeat, I know exactly what I'm doing and that it's bad for me, yet, many times I do it. How can people just put some food on their plate, eat that and be done? I've not always been this way. I used to maintain a nice weight, overweight, but maintained around the same weight without thinking about it. But the last 10ish years has been difficult. During this time, I've lost and gained around 80lbs a few times now. I always regain.

People here will say that I didn't change my lifestyle, you're lazy or just don't eat. For some people it's not that simple. I find losing weight to be "easy", but maintaining my weight loss very difficult. The longest I've maintained my weight loss was three years. I had to think about it every meal. I had to "just stop".

Planning does help. Measuring or learning how to measure by eye. Staying away from trigger foods; don't even have a bite. Decide what you're going to eat, eat that, then remove yourself from the situation. I have to think about doing that every meal. I have to say to myself, "You're done. You've had enough."

I am not a lazy person. I don't do formal "exercise", but I take the kids to the pool, do a few laps and play with the kids. I walk to the park that is 1/2 mile away and play with the kids. I take a walk at lunchtime. I do sit all day at my desk job, so I try do do these things with the kids as often as possible. What it comes down to is that I have trouble "stopping" eating.

I'm not blaming this on anyone but me. I'm not saying there's something in my genetics, I'm not blaming something other than myself.

Sweep4412, as a person who understands, I hate to say it, but I've found no other way to do it rather then just make a decision at every meal (planning helps) and go from there.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,026 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sweep4412 wrote: »
    Basically what I said in the title.
    How do you not eat too much, when the meal is just so good and you're so hungry? How do you hold yourself against something like chocolate, when you've already reached your daily calorie limit?

1) The chocolate is not easily available. It's at the store. Going to the store involves getting all rugged up against the cold and walking there. Now the chocolate doesn't seems to attractive.

2) Do something else. Involve yourself in exercise or a hobby or housecleaning or something.

3) Drink a cup of tea.