too scared to eat!

Options
2»

Replies

• kmck045
    kmck045 Posts: 19
    Options
    Wow. That is awesome advice. I've printed out your daily plan and I start tomorrow morning!

Thank you so much!
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    In terms of running, I strongly advocate Vibram Five Fingers. The 'look' isn't for everybody, but the result IS! However, if you don't want to wear toe-shoes, then it's cool too!

If you're up at (I'm guessing again) around 6am to get ready for work, then you're running around noon, then this is what I'd suggest. (keep in mind, I'm not a professional and this is simply a suggestion)...

630-7am(ish)- large, FULFILLING breakfast
    1000am-snack on some nuts, fruits, or something high in fiber that will digest slowly
    1200(noon)-run
    1230-1pm(ish)-recovery/lunch
    3pm(ish)-another light snack like nuts or fruits or a salad with a pomegranate dressing (fruity tasting and delicious!)
    6pm(ish)-dinner. Keep it light, maintain proper portion control and take an earlier posters suggestion of dishing out EXACTLY what you plan on eating and not allowing yourself seconds and thirds.
    9-10pm(ish)-snack. SLOW digesting food either high in fiber, or high in Casein. Cottage Cheese and Black Olives is a go-to favorite of mine for the Casein if you can't do the shake...

Vibrams are great - and I personally love how they look!!!

However, I woould be wary recommending them to a new runner. Even for an experienced runner, there is a systematic break-in time needed. I know too many people who decided to start running in their vibrams - new and experienced runners - only to develop tendonitis, hurt knees, sore joints, etc... They are great - but there is a huge caveat with them!!!

Edited to add: I agree with your eating advice!!!

It's about pacing yourself. I've been running in mine for a little over a month now. I log about 2 miles a day, 4 days a week, on various exercises. Specifically, I hit 2 miles on the track on Monday and a 1 mile circuit on Tuesday, then I take Wednesday off. Thursday is a 2 mile hill run on the treadmill and Friday is a 5k around the neighborhood. I'll be honest with myself here, I have only been able to get to mile-marker 2 on the 5k due to running on the pavement. Saturdays are my cross-training days. I do 20 minutes of cardio on the Elliptical, Bike and treadmill respectively...

However, this is only the 2nd week of doing that cardio routine. My first week was 1 mile Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My 2nd week was 1 Mile Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, then 2 miles on Friday. My 3rd week was 2 miles Monday, 1 mile Tuesday, 2 miles Thursday and Friday. Last week I added the Cross-training on Saturdays...
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ideas are good - thanks! I better go on a hunt cos I'm thinking I can't really wait till I get home tonight to start the intake!

By the way - I find it very easy to just not eat for most of the day and then tend to go crazy at night. This I know is bad - but is it That Bad?
    Yes that is bad. My nutritionist explained it like this. If you want a fire burning in your fire place at a nice steady pace you feed it a few logs every couple of hours. You can't let it burn down to embers and then stack 40 logs on there. It either going to flame up crazy or put the fire out completely, neither is good. The point of eating every few hours is to keep a steady flame burning. So your metabolism is constantly working to burn off what you eat. For years I was like that. I could get up and run around having not eaten a thing. Finally around dinner time (6 or 7pm) I would eat. Some days it was a balanced meal, but many days I would over eat thinking I was making up for the meals I skipped. Your body then holds on to all the calories because you are so inconsistent with food it never knows when the next meal is coming. I struggled with eating breakfast when I started. I realized I had to make it easy for me. I started simple, A few nuts or a piece of fruit within an hour of getting up. Then 2 hours later a more substantial breakfast, then lunch and dinner and maybe an evening snack.
  • milaxx
    Options
    You had nothing in your body except coffee by 11am?

You need to eat earlier - have a nutritious, protein filled breakfast.

There is no way you can run with nothing in your system but coffee at 12. You are sabotaging yourself!!!

You must eat earlier - eat something healthy and filling!!! Have a meal at 9, a healthy snack at 10:30 (like a few raw almonds and a slice of fruit), and you should be good to go for a run at 12....
    I do this in reverse because I am not a morning person and breakfast occasionally makes me nauseous.
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    Options
    Wow. That is awesome advice. I've printed out your daily plan and I start tomorrow morning!

Thank you so much!

Look, I'm no professional. What I put down was just the general concensus I've got from nearly every site, every magazine, every person, every fitness junkie I've talked to... I can't even follow my own advice most days...

I'm up at 1430 and I plan on changing my diet once planes start flying in with mail so I can order more protein. Here's what I'm 'attempting' to change to.

1500-Fruit Smoothie with ISO Whey (unflavored) protein powder and a yogurt mixed in. Approximately 350-400 calories. Daily multivitamin.
    1700-this ones hard. I'm at work in guardmount for this one. 100 calorie baggie of dried fruits and nuts (similar to unsweetened trailmix, no M&Ms).
    1930-Dinner with the wife. this ones hard too, because I can't stand to not finish my plate... trying to limit this one to 500 calories as well.
    2200-Snack. 150 calories in fruits grains and fibers.
    0100-'lunch'. 400 calories in sandwich, sugar free pudding, and string cheese.
    0500-weight training.
    0600-cardio.
    0700-Post-workout recovery. This one's easy. 220 calories in milk+casein shake.

total at around 1,770 calories... This alone should help me with some slight weight loss. I plan on changing my breakfast up with some egg-white omelettes on my days off...
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

There is no way you can run with nothing in your system but coffee at 12. You are sabotaging yourself!!!

You must eat earlier - eat something healthy and filling!!! Have a meal at 9, a healthy snack at 10:30 (like a few raw almonds and a slice of fruit), and you should be good to go for a run at 12....
    I do this in reverse because I am not a morning person and breakfast occasionally makes me nauseous.

That works.... as long as you aren't starving yourself since the night before!!!
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Me too. If I eat too soon after I get up (and that usually means within the first hour and a half), I get sick and have to camp out in the bathroom for awhile. I've been that way since I was a teenager.

Personally, I find that eating more in the morning does NOT result in me eating less during the rest of the day. That's just me. I keep it light in the morning because then A) I don't get sick, B) I'm not eating when I'm not hungry, and C) I'm able to actually eat when I AM hungry later in the day.

I really like the Special K Protein Meal bars for breakfast. They're not as high in protein as a regular protein bar, but its 10 grams and about 170-180 calories and they're tasty!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You didn't see "Band of brothers" when the sargent made them eat pasta and run did you? She'll lose it alright, and not the way she wants to.

Pasta takes at least 90 minutes to digest after you eat it. She's was going to run in less than an hour?

Eat an orange, of a banana. It'll digest quickly, and some GOOD sugar for your energy for your run.
  • swbernstel
    swbernstel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HI. I don't know if someone has already said this, but I didn't feel like reading all the replies. When you go for long periods of time without eating (and yes, waiting all day and then gorging at night is long enough to do it) your body goes into starvation mode and will hold onto everything you give it. Also, try to eat your carbs in the morning and your fattier foods at night. When you digest carbs, your body produces insulin which promotes fat storage (the reason why a certain type of diabetics have such a problem with weight control). If you eat them earlier in the day, you have a chance to burn them off. I try to do this too, but it is really hard not eating pasta or bread with dinner. I hope this helps.
  • milaxx
    Options

That works.... as long as you aren't starving yourself since the night before!!!
    Yeah the naturalpath I saw came up with this. I actually keep some almonds and dried cranberries by the bed. When I wake up if I'm not in the mood for eating I much on that. By 10am I can eat breakfast. Since I've been going to the gym it's gotten better. I can do a protein shake, work out and then have eggs or whatever afterwards. It was hard getting started but now it's habit.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late to the party here, BUT I do the eat an hour before I do some cardio all the time.

You have an hour or less befroe you run, all you've had is a cup of coffee.

I do this vertually every morning. You don't have time for a complex Carbohydrates, you need a simple Carbohydrates

Complex Carbohydrates
    Fiber and starch are complex carbs that take longer for the body to digest. Vegetables, breads, rice, whole grains and pasta are examples of complex carbohydrates.

Since you run is in an hour you need something that is going to be digested quickly and that will give you energy to burn carbo's.

Simple Carbohydrates
    Simple carbohydrates are also known as simple sugars. These simple carbs give the body a quick energy boost. Natural sugar from fruit, table sugar and sugar from milk all fall into this category.

Eat an orange or a bannana.
  • kmck045
    kmck045 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hell, you guys are awesome!

Well, here's the result of today...

There was nothing much I could scrounge up at work but I did find a bag of raw nuts. I had about 40gms 20 minutes before my run.

I went for my run and it was SO HARD. I've been gradually building up over the last 2 months, and from being a never-break-a-walk girl I can run 23 minutes no breaks! So I did manage that today, but 6 minutes into it I nearly turned back and it was a real big struggle.

Usually on a run day (3 out of every 4) I've been trying to have a piece of toast, but today I just let organisation go out the window.
    I don't know if it's all in my head, but gosh I did struggle today.

HOWEVER... on the bright side... and this is really exciting for me... I was on the verge of needing blood pressure medication (at 36! The pain of it!) but today's visit to the quack showed my reading waaaaaaaay down from 195/95 to... wait for it... 130/80!

So in the short time I've been trying to get the exercise sorted, and even though I'm still a big girl, I've actually done something that is a step to giving me a longer life, and one without permanent medication! Wow! I'm still smiling 'bout that!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    ^^^wow 23 minutes straight! such a good job! i can only do 13 mins non stop for now but hope to keep building on that :)