Mindless eating

Options
In need of a distraction. When I'm seditary I tend to eat. I'd like to stay busy socializing. Please strike up a conversation and help me stay out of the kitchen.

Replies

• jlabrum16
    jlabrum16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm with you there! I tend to do the same thing. I feel like my mind shuts off and I eat for something to do. :/
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    tell me something about yourself that would surprise your mfp friends...
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Omg I do the same. Wkends r tough for me, if I'm sitting watching TV with fam I just want to snack. N sometimes I do it without even thinking! We had Rootbear floats n popcorn at a church function on Friday night n when I got home I said to my fiancé I didn't even think about it I just grabbed one n drank it. It didn't even occur to me that it had calories, i just went with the flow n did it :(
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Weekends are the worst! I am trying to keep myself busy, but as soon as I feel like sitting down, here I am thinking about what should I eat now. And my hubby's freshly home made bread doesn't help.
  • pedrozamatt
    pedrozamatt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well, a conversation is not working, but posting my status and reading all the replies is passing the time just fine. Thank you, I know you people understand. Actually, I'm enjoying this! Lol
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am the same way so I try to clean. Cleaning is SO fun :D . Have you tried chewing peppermint gum? I love it and most things taste gross with the minty taste
  • pedrozamatt
    Options
    Cleaning is not fun unless your cleaning a grill, or pool because your going to have a party. ;)
  • Justkeen81
    Justkeen81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is totally my biggest weakness. That and movie popcorn.
  • hattie419
    hattie419 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always eat at social events whatever I want as a 'giving myself a break' from being healthy, but when there's so many occasions and birthdays etc. when this happens it's pretty much not a diet anymore and just bad eating haha, I need to not let myself loose like once or twice a week! It's too much, does anyone else do this?!
  • pedrozamatt
    Options
    Reading and creating posts has really kept me out of the refrigerator. I'm surprised because it's become such a great joy. Thanks for your input guys and girls.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I knit and do zentangle. I don't want to get greasy food on either of those things.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    online jigsaw puzzles and Sudoku help keep my hands busy so I don't eat.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I play Words With Friends on my phone-that works very well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I meal prep. I know I'm around food, but I never have the urge to eat the things I'm prepping and it takes up time. Or I read the forums.
  • OllieRose126
    OllieRose126 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too am guilty. I've found that my previous eating habits up until a few weeks ago were made up of mostly mindless eating. Eating when I am not hungry and instead out of boredom was a huge problem for me. Usually now I go for a walk or drink water.
  • Wifelover
    Wifelover Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found a way not to snack in the evening? I am fine in the morning with fruit or eggs or anything else healthy. Through lunch and dinner it is much the same. Minimal snacking and almost no sugar intake. By 9:30pm i find myself eating whatever i can, be it ice cream or the GIANT freakin bag of m&m's from costco. If anyone has found a way to beat this please tell me!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Wifelover wrote: »
    Has anyone found a way not to snack in the evening? I am fine in the morning with fruit or eggs or anything else healthy. Through lunch and dinner it is much the same. Minimal snacking and almost no sugar intake. By 9:30pm i find myself eating whatever i can, be it ice cream or the GIANT freakin bag of m&m's from costco. If anyone has found a way to beat this please tell me!!!

I don't beat it. I just find a way to do it. Every day I log my breakfast, then I log dessert. I either know what I'm having or I'll quick add 200-400 calories. Then I work around it. And dessert can mean anything...even second dinner.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just save enough calories for the snack I PLAN for the evening. One key is that all of my hobbies. . . knitting, drawing, reading, keep my hands occupied. I also keep items on hand for this purpose: air popped popcorn, small squares of dark chocolate that I break up and mix with 1/2 of Quaker Oat Squares, frozen fruit bars. Stuff like that. One thing I do not do is buy giant bags of m&m's a Costco. Because I would eat the whole thing.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Wifelover wrote: »

My husband and I used to be big evening snackers, but after we started using MFP and totalling up those evening snacks, we got out of the habit. I still have treats, but I no longer pair watching TV with eating. It "helps" that I forget to plan ahead and save enough calories to have an evening treat, but if I do, I've found a few favorites that are small and satisfying to me (1 hershey snack bar-60 cal, or a diet root beer float with lowfat vanilla frozen yogurt).

• nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, I can never stop eating when I drink. One beer and I NEED SNACKS