Self-sabotage

Options
Do you ever feel like YOU are the only obstacle between you and success? Do you put lots of time/thought/energy into weight loss and then... slip-up? How do/did you overcome the mental block?

Replies

• snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I realize that I don't have slip-up again tomorrow. I turn back around and start over from where I left off. Who's counting? Only me.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm a professed self saboteur ...it's even on my profile in the introduction. Luckily, I've done exceptionally well avoiding that (for the most part) while using MFP. I just realized that I DESERVE it...I deserve to be healthy, I deserve to be happy, I deserve to be able to be physical and not be in pain, I deserve to be selfish and concentrate on me, myself and I.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been a self-saboteur (hopefully reformed) ... stretching beyond diet and weight loss into relationships. I think it's all tied into being heavy all my life, and the associated insults and derision. It affects your self confidence, and you don't feel you deserve to be healthy or pretty, or loved. I'm working on it, and feeling a lot better about weight loss and being healthy and deserving. I think a lot of positive thinking, reinforcement and support have helped, as well as joining this site. I've also met someone special, and he is very good about reminding me how pretty and amazing he finds me. I hope everyone can find the support and mindset needed to overcome those tendencies!

Focus on goals. Little ones, big ones, whatever seems manageable. And don't beat yourself up about off days. You have to accept that they'll happen, and just pick up and keep on going.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Do you ever feel like YOU are the only obstacle between you and success? Do you put lots of time/thought/energy into weight loss and then... slip-up? How do/did you overcome the mental block?

Yup. And it extends into every part of my life. I spent the last 10 years doing what I WANTED to do instead of what NEEDED to be done. Now I find they are in alignment and it's easier to feel motivated. Still a struggle but I'm working it out.

Might I suggest drawing a venn diagram? In one circle, list your wants, in the other needs and where they meet, list what matches both. For example:

That cute pair of heels you saw for $80 would go in wants.
    Finishing the homework due on Thursday goes in needs.
    Weight loss would go in the center because you want to look good and feel better and you need to attain better health.

If you tackle what's in the center first, you can make room for more wants+needs and you'll find that they slowly migrate from the outer circles into the center. When you can eliminate an item as "done" (or "in process" for ongoing things like health and fitness), you can move on to the next, making some great progress!

Good luck!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I realize that I don't have slip-up again tomorrow. I turn back around and start over from where I left off. Who's counting? Only me.

EXACTLY!
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes I feel like sabotaging my efforts, but I think that happens to everyone! I usually do that when I feel deprived. When my calorie intake was 1200, I felt deprived and hungry all the time, so just today I've upped my intake to between 1300 and 1400 calories. I feel better and don't feel like I'm really missing out on anything. :)
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Everybody does it, it happens when your focus in on another area of your life temporarily, and foods importance drops to no.2 as opposed to No.1.

Go easier on your self, not on an eat anything way. But forgive the odd deviation from the plan. Like has been said above, the important thing is not to give up.

It may be slow taking 2 steps forward and one back, but you will get there eventually, with less bad feeling.

You look great already :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I think many of us have fallen into this trap of 'all or nothing' thinking, and it's very dangerous to our progress. A big part of this effort is earning how to be more moderate and to forgive ourselves for the occasional stray from the path. Once we learn that, we can hop right back on plan even when we've meandered a bit.