Estimating burns when bradycardic

Options
c613477
c613477 Posts: 296 Member
I know this is probably a strange or unusual question. I am trying to use my vivofit with the strap to get my calorie burns. I only started realizing recently that I have a hard time raising my heart rate to what most people easily do without full out sprinting or very high intensity workouts. I knew I had low resting heart rate (require special meds to speed up my heart rate when undergoing surgery). I just didn't know jogging only gets my heart rate to 100-110 range. I have to do sprints to get it u to 140-150 and I don't last longer long. Does this mean heart rate will be under estimate my burn? For reference my resting heart rate is 38-40 bpm. Sometimes lower... By the way, I have undergone testing and nothing appears to be wrong.

Anyone else with similar situation?

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, being bradycardic means you can't use heart rate as an indicator of exercise intensity or calorie burns. There are other methods of figuring intensity and calorie burns based on your VO2 max and working at specific MET levels to achieve the intensity goal you want and calculate calories. PM me if you want and I will explain how to do the tests and figure the zones where you want to work for various goals along with the formulas for estimating calorie burns from those MET levels.
  • c613477
    c613477 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thank you Tonya. I guess it is somewhat rare and annoying at times! I will pm you!!