Can I spin with plantar fasciitis?

Options
sajerd
sajerd Posts: 28 Member
I am having a bad flare up of PF but don't want to screw up my exercise routine. I've cut back dramatically on the walking and all exercises at the gym which pound my foot, but I need to do something. I've tried spinning a few times and it doesn't seem to bother the PF but wanted to ask some others with experience. In also stretching a lot and doing acupuncture with electrical therapy. Really want to knock it out ASAP. So what do you think, it's the spin OK? What else can I do that won't aggravate it?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I have a healing fractured fibula and I've been cycling outside.

What's your pt/ortho dr/physiotherapist suggest?

PF is like the one injury I haven't had lol

Swimming?
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Good, stiff-soled shoes and bicycling is a good way to keep up your cardio and endurance. Don't rush back to running if you have PF; it usually needs a good year to heal completely. And then take your training back sloooowly.

Best wishes.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY get stiff-soled shoes if you decide to spin inside or actually bike outside. Flexible running shoe soles will increase the pressure on your arch, which is exactly what you don't want.

If you want bike-specific shoes, Five Ten makes good platform ones. You could also use skate(board) shoes. Formal cycling shoes, with attachment points for cleats/clipless pedals (that you don't have to use, don't worry) are another option but could be more expensive.

Also, what about water activities? Swimming, pool running, aquaerobics? If the elliptical doesn't bother you, you could try that as well.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    you could also try the rowing machine
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Anybody that has had PF and used KT tape can tell you this is a extremely good tool used to combat the pain of PF or heel spurs. I strongly suggest you buy it and use it. You won't be disappointed. I've had several people here that have come back to me saying thank you a hundred times for this advice alone. Check for videos on youtube on how to apply. You can by it at CVS stores.

Along with stretching the heel and bottom of foot, I recommend you roll your foot on a rolling pin, baseball bat, or lacrosse ball, I think a golf ball would nice also. Get in there deep and massage it real good, it will hurt very much for the first couple of days, but will help break up and scar tissue that has adhered your many different muscles down there. It will also help the blood circulate which in turn will speed up the process.

*edited to add to ice it after physical activities to keep the flare down. Some people prefer a frozen water bottle.
  • moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Anybody that has had PF and used KT tape can tell you this is a extremely good tool used to combat the pain of PF

I would be lost without my KT Tape. I use it for my PF, knee, occasional tennis elbow, among other things... I developed PF that turned into a stress fracture after going on a hiking trip. I had to wear a boot for a while and then transitioned to KT Tape when I have any reoccurring pain.
  • sajerd
    sajerd Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do wear the stiff bike cleat shoes for spin, which I agree is important. I roll on lacrosse balls, and love the idea of KT tape. I think I have some in the medicine drawer somewhere. Going to go find it now. Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas. I feel better about spinning now. Good luck to everyone on your endeavors.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My sister had surgery and it came back. I got a small oval rock and rolled it beneath my foot, stretching out that tendon that pulls on the bone causing the bone spur.
    I got one shot in the heel that relieved the pain, but it came back and the second time, it did not work.
    Rolling that stone, or golf ball or tennis ball on the bottom of the foot worked.
    It has not come back in years.