Abs

Options
Okay, so I know that diet and cardio help a lot but does anyone have any tips, types of crunches or exercises that I can start doing? I don't need a six pack, I just want a defined stomach. I wouldn't be disappointed with a 4 pack though :)

Also, has anyone tried the Contour Ab belt (they sell it on infomercials. It's supposed to use electrodes to stimulate the muscles in your stomach)? My mom bought it and never used it. It looks like it could work so I've been thinking about trying it out but I don't know if it's a waste of time.

I would appreciate any advice!

Replies

• CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    body fat % is biggest thing u have abs already
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    never tried an ab belt but if you can try one without buying one then why not. press ups and sit ups will help work your core
  • Bjornulf
    Bjornulf Posts: 29
    Options
    I agree that body fat % seems to be the biggest issue to overcome on the road to showing abs. As for the Contour, I haven't heard of it but I do remember some writings about a similar electrode stimulation for body builders. I think it makes sense, but that's what the snake oil salesmen bank on. If you already have it, I say try it out. If you like it, feel it working your core, great use it. If not, no harm done. An interesting experiment.

Would love to hear your verdict on it after a couple weeks or so....
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The lower your BF% the sooner you'll see your abs. So proper diet and exercises will help you reveal your already existing abs :D If you would like bigger, more defined abs check out this link http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/22_fitness_tip.html
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like flutter kicks and revers crunches.

Lay on your back, bring you legs about 5 inches off the floor. Bring your right leg up about 5 inches, then return it to the starting pos and bring your left leg up. You can do it slow or fast. if you keep your legs at least a few inches off the groud the whole time your abs are engaged the whole time.

The reverse crunch is the Jillian Michelles one. I used to do it different but this is better. Lay on you back like the flutter kick. legs straight up at a 90 degree angle and push you butt in the air so the base of your back comes off the floor a little. Then come back down and do it again~!~! after a few you can really feel it right under your belly button. (I find thats the hardest place for us ladys to get rid of the stomach love!)

You can probably youtube Jillian doing both of these so you can see them. It was really hard to explain them, i dont know why.. lol. Good luck!~!

Be proud of your 4 pack!~! I would kill for even just one muscle!~!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Just got this in my inbox from Oxygen Magazine tonight (FAB workouts for women, I highly reccommend it if you don't already read/subscribe). Enjoy!

http://oxygenmag.com/slideshows/fababs/
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Try looking online for yoga positions meant to work on the core. These will be great!
  • beccasetsfire
    beccasetsfire Posts: 135
    Options
    My favorite exercise is from back when I was in gymnastics, I'm not sure what it's actually called though... I call them Kip Exercises because they build the muscles needed for doing glide kips on bars... I'm not sure if they have a real name though...

I also do crunches on a balance ball!
  • Kristinemillar
    Options
    A good ab exercise that I use goes as follows:

Lie flat on your back on the floor
    Raise feet off the floor by about 6 inches
    Lift legs to the 11 o'clock position (ie. not straight up) then slowly lower them back to 6 inches off the ground. Do this in reps of 10 to start then increase your reps as you go.

This works not only your upper abs but also the lower ones which can be a problem for us ladies.

Never used the belt purely because I would feel like I had cheated on getting the body shape... If you understand what I mean.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you have cable tv (comcast) there are fitness videos on demand, and there are several good core videos. I've Bern doing one called 10 lb slimdown-abs. Planks are also good core work. Good luck.
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Like a couple of people have said already.... You already have that six pack!! you just can't see it! All you need to do is to drop your body fat percentage. Cardio, eating healthy, burning more calories by adding more calorie burning lean muscle and you're alllllll good!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I love planks. On elbows, alternating hold left and right leg up as you get past one minute on both legs. Also don't forget the obliques (side planks) as that will help give you that nice defined hourglass shape too.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    an ab belt will give you what I call 'ab dimples' at the side but not a 2/4/6 pack! Try reverse crunches, right & left obliques, plank etc just youtube them. If you have an iPhone/iPod touch there is a free app called Daily Burn with Abs, Arms, Butt and Cardio workouts about 10 minutes long each
  • funfitfoodie
    Options
    A good ab exercise that I use goes as follows:

Lie flat on your back on the floor
    Raise feet off the floor by about 6 inches
    Lift legs to the 11 o'clock position (ie. not straight up) then slowly lower them back to 6 inches off the ground. Do this in reps of 10 to start then increase your reps as you go.

This works not only your upper abs but also the lower ones which can be a problem for us ladies.

I do this one in my Kettlebell and Ab class but lowering the feet to the left then up to centre then lower to the right then up to centre etc....
  • micarla1
    micarla1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What is an ideal fat % for women?
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I did have the chart at home but lost it now.

The general numbers are:

Body Type Female
    Athlete <17%
    Lean 17-22%
    Normal 22-25%
    Above Average 25-29%
    Overfat 29-35%
    Obese 35+%
  • micarla1
    micarla1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks mel - looks like im normal at 24% ! Need me to get into the lean! :)
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I did jillian michaels 6week 6 pack DVD (in my final week) to tone my tum once I lost the fat thru cardio. It's worked a treat (pics on my profile)

Good luck
  • chelledepriest
    Options
    Bump
  • funfitfoodie
    Options
    I did jillian michaels 6week 6 pack DVD (in my final week) to tone my tum once I lost the fat thru cardio. It's worked a treat (pics on my profile)

Good luck

Wow amazing job! I'm almost half way through this! Nice to see it actually works!