Hitting a wall

Options
Yesterday I celebrated 110 days on MFP! I am the last person in the world to think that I could stick with something like this and I have definitely surprised myself!

Starting weight was 248. Currently 220. BUT, I have been at 220 for a couple of weeks now since my last time of the month. I need help! Why have I plateau'd and what I can I do to get out of it? My diary is open and I really am open to hearing anything.

I generally keep within my 1400 calories. I make it to the gym 3 times a week for an hour of cardio each time. I have high blood pressure (that has gone down ALOT), but sodium is an enemy for me. I have continued to lose inches but the loss has halted.

Should I adjust my calories? Eat more? Eat less?

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks without a loss isn't hitting a wall. Just stick with what you're doing it's been working well so far. Good luck!

Edit - you say sodium is a bit of a killer, which you are right - try and cut these foods out and find alternatives if it matters to you.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary and definitely you need to look for alternatives to cut down on salt. Not sure about your lifestyle but wondered about buying whole foods and making your own instead of ready meal things i.e. mashed potatoes have a lot of salt in whereas if you make your own (without salt\very little salt) it will be better. I gave up cooking with and adding salt to my food so only get the salt that is in whole foods I eat. It was tough but got used to it quite quickly. In fact now when I do treat myself to something like crisps I find them soooooo salty almost difficult to eat.

I also noticed that your calorie goal was over 2000 calories yet you are only eating 1400. Dare I say....you may need to eat more. If your figures have given you that level of calorie goal, only eating 1400 may be putting you into starvation mode. Maybe worth a try upping the calories in the short term to see if there is any difference. If you want to continue eating a lower calorie goal, can I suggest that you manually change your targets so that the other nutrients are set for that calorie goal. i.e. you are eating the salt percentage for 2000+

Otherwise you a have lost loads and you should feel very proud of yourself. Keep going and just tweek with your calories and nutrients to find what works for you and as you lose more weight you will need to tweek them again. This is a long slow journey to future success, not an express train ride lol. We are all learning from each other.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You aren't at a plateau yet as it's too soon, but I would agree you need to eat more. Your body needs fuel and if you don't provide, hormones can get involved easy. Also, protein seems low. Why don't you eat 1700 -2000 calories and set your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Try to get some more whole meats in there as well. Also, start weight training as soon as you can. This is much better for fat loss and you will see the results faster (visibly) as opposed to on the scale.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories by that much isn't doing you any favors. When I first started going to see a nutritionist, she wanted me to have 1500 calories a day. I was still REALLY hungry trying to hit that number. I went to Weight Watchers, and they had me at about 2200 calories/day, I felt a lot more satisfied, and I was losing weight. Had something to do with taking in the right amount of calories and helping to rev up your metabolism.

Yes, you need to do what you can to decrease your salt intake too. The more salt you take in, the more water your body holds on to.

It's too early to tell if it's a plateau, but MANY many weeks into my journey, I noticed that I'd go 3-4 weeks losing anywhere from 1-4 pounds a week, then would go a few weeks either staying the same or losing about .5 pound a week, then would go back to 1-2 pounds a week. Stay on track long enough to see how your body reacts to losing weight....you might just be in a cyclical pattern like I've had.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    have a cheat meal
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Change your exercise routine. Do something different than what you normally do.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. If you're losing inches, it's working. I was that way for the past month and finally showed loss today. Stick with it and hang tight. Do aim for less sodium, but aside from that, keep on keeping on.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I celebrated 110 days on MFP! I am the last person in the world to think that I could stick with something like this and I have definitely surprised myself!

Starting weight was 248. Currently 220. BUT, I have been at 220 for a couple of weeks now since my last time of the month. I need help! Why have I plateau'd and what I can I do to get out of it? My diary is open and I really am open to hearing anything.

I generally keep within my 1400 calories. I make it to the gym 3 times a week for an hour of cardio each time. I have high blood pressure (that has gone down ALOT), but sodium is an enemy for me. I have continued to lose inches but the loss has halted.

Should I adjust my calories? Eat more? Eat less?

Congratulations!!! I started at 260 so I can totally relate!! Its a good time to up your calories that you are burning!!
  • Mami2daj
    Mami2daj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve procedure in February and am down 75 lbs since then. I started at 354 n am down to 279...but in the past 3 weeks im stuck as well...n i eat 1200 calories a day..should i change something or is this normal?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    down 92 pounds here since october 2015
    i'm also salt less for my BP that was above 172/120 but now since weeks at 115/72

keep going and don't use salt :) (if the doctor agrees)

i cook and make recipes myself :)