3-4 hours before bed?

Options
Hi, I'm new and trying to lose around 30 pounds. I have heard from alot of people that not eating 3-4 hours before you go to bed helps you lose weight. But I've also heard alot of people say that it's bull. I was just wondering if some of you guys recommend that or do this and have seen results?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    0neel0vee wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new and trying to lose around 30 pounds. I have heard from alot of people that not eating 3-4 hours before you go to bed helps you lose weight. But I've also heard alot of people say that it's bull. I was just wondering if some of you guys recommend that or do this and have seen results?

Eat when you want. Doesn't matter.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, your body doesn't care when you eat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat up until I fall asleep. Just finished my popcorn and ice cream. Lost 30 lbs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you tend to binge at night, it's a good idea to cut off early so you aren't tempted.

If you have heartburn or any other medical reason that eating late can cause, it's a good idea to cut off early.

Otherwise? Eat when you want. From January-April I ate dinner three nights a week between 8 and 10, and usually went to bed 11-12.
  • cocolattes
    cocolattes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i always save some calories at the end of my day for cocoa pebbles....
  • 0neel0vee
    0neel0vee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's great to know this is just a silly myth.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I would imagine the only time meal timing would affect weightloss is if you were to put a day or three between meals.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Bull...
    Every night for the last 8 months i eat the main portion of my calories
    Snacking on 300 calories of popcorn...fruit and almonds

All around 9 to 10 PM (about) and lost 92 pounds just fine!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I have heard from alot of people that not eating 3-4 hours before you go to bed helps you lose weight.

False.

But I've also heard alot of people say that it's bull. ?

True.

• BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's bull. I eat a snack shortly before bedtime every evening. If I were to quit eating three or four hours before bedtime, I'd end up eating way too much because will power doesn't work as well as not being hungry. :)
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you tend to binge at night, it's a good idea to cut off early so you aren't tempted.

I think it depends on the person. Cutting off early to prevent binging seems counter-intuitive to me. For me, it would do the exact opposite of not being tempted...
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can eat less in the day to save some calories at night, generally i'm less hungry in the day so that's what I do. I always eat bananas before I go to bed, ripe bananas contain serotonin which can help you fall asleep.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Me, I'm much more likely to stay under my calorie goal if I save over half my allotted calories for dinner and late-night snacking. I like to eat at night. Just be sure to stay at a calorie deficit! And become crazy about weighing all your food.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I have no willpower at night, so thats when I eat most of my calories
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't eat too much, but you are actually pretty active at night and do burn calories still so a light snack would be burned off when sleeping
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    bhawk102 wrote: »
    Don't eat too much, but you are actually pretty active at night and do burn calories still so a light snack would be burned off when sleeping

It doesn't matter at all as long as you eat less calories than you burn ( deficit)
    Time doesn't matter.
    Burning it off doesn't matter either as long she keeps it within her calorie allowance range...

Its that simple!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's bull. I'll add that I think the reason people believe in this is because when you stop eating several hours earlier you're essentially fasting for a longer period of time before breakfast, so people who weigh themselves in the morning might notice a slightly lower weight simply due to there being less food in the system.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

it's a matter of preference that's all
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Apparently those people who eat late at night typically are over eating more calories than they need to, so that is why they gain weight. Also they are more likely to be eating higher cal foods later at night. Its not the time on the clock, it's that eating fistfuls of chips out of a packet will send you over your calories.

I eat most my calories in the afternoon and at night because I know that's when I tend to get hungry and tempted to eat the entire contents of the pantry! It can sometimes make you weigh more the next morning if you have eaten later, so be mindful of that if you weigh yourself in the morning. But no, it doesn't cause weight gain long-term. It is the quantity of calories in vs calories out that cause you to gain weight.