How to conquer cravings?

Options
I've just recently started making some health changes and getting rid of all the junk food that I use to snack on almost everyday,
Unfortuantly, I get hit with the worst cravings.. I would literally debate with myself for an hour on whether to go buy a chocolate bar or not..
I know it's not good for me though, how do you guys attempt to stop your cravings? It's so tiring!

Replies

• jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Every one is different, but if I find something else to focus my energy on I'm normally ok!
    I posted something similar to this a few days ago on my blog... But focusing on one particular experience.
    When you have a craving, maybe go for a walk (The opposite way to the shops) or go for a bath, or paint your nails or something and it will pass!

You just got to think, you don't actually need it, you just want it to curb your emotions.

But like I said, my fixes are personal to me, everyone is different unfortunately!!
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    I fought with myself for so long yesterday over whether or not I should eat a piece of chocolate cake, I ended up not eating the chocolate cake, but eating 3 protein bars and a million pieces of fruit, instead (crazy sugar craving!)

Moral of the story is, if you have a craving, you may as well go for it (provided you don't cave in to the cravings ALL the time) because more than likely you'll give the craving a miss and make up for it with more calories by eating more of something else.
  • amyelizabethrn75
    Options
    Cravings and ignoring all of them are what I feel will ruin your dieting/ change.....
    You want chocolate- fine- go get chocolate- a small/ snack size chocolate bar- you have your taste- just make sure you save room for it in your daily calories-
    If I deprive myself of everything that i want I am setting myself up for failure
    But I also agree that sometimes cravings appear when you are bored- so if you are bored- go distract yourself- if I still am craving something after 2 hours- I will allow myself a taste.....
    Be strong!
  • c3lxxx
    c3lxxx Posts: 25
    Options
    Surprisingly, the best thing to do (so I've been told by a nutritionist) is to eat the food that you are craving....a craving normally means your body is attempting to tell you what it needs. There are a few things to keep in mind to help you lose weight.

First choice is portion control:
    Take and cut a piece of the bar, put it on a plate, sit down and eat it. When you really make it a formal sit down you tend to do a lot less snacking.

OR

Replacement:
    This can be done if you are craving sweets to pick a very sweet fruit like pineapple. If you want crunchy, try an apple, carrots, or a few pretzels.....things like that.

My PERSONAL choice is portion control. I honestly eat all my cravings for bad food....I just take a lot of time to enjoy a much smaller portion and it makes me very satisfied.

I am NOT a nutritionist, this is written by what I have been told as well as personal experience, I hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I buy hershey's special dark and just log one or two squares (rectangles, really) into my food diary. Each square of a 1.45 oz bar is 15 calories. I log it then hold off as long as possible before eating it. Sometimes I make it right up until bedtime and it feels like a reward for my self-control. :)

I keep the rest of the bar in a zip-top bag in the freezer and only take out that one or two squares. After that, it's up to you to manage your willpower. If I can do it, you can do it!
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I tried many diets in the past (slim fast, low fat, portion control etc) and I was always hungry and always craved for junk food. The South Beach diet that I follow when I'm cutting takes my cravings away after a few days. I believe its due to the fact that I'm not allowing junk into my body, even a little bit, when I cut. Fats and Carbs can both be good, just as long as they are good fats and good carbs. Going cold turkey with junk food is the way to go :D
  • luiseajane8
    luiseajane8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice everyone, You are all so incredibly helpful :)
    I think I'll try and distract myself for a bit, or go jogging. A little peice of chocolate can be my reward then!
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    - I work out the calories of the food i'm craving and work out if it's "worth it" - do I want the chocolate bar or do I want to be slim, will I feel happy after I've eaten it or will I feel really disappointed in myself?
    - I have an apple or a low fat yogurt or 2 slices of 400g loaf wheatgerm toast and some butter
    - I wait 20 minutes after I've had the healthier snack to see if I still want the chocolate. Last time I had a craving like this I just went to bed, and woke up without the craving.
    - If I have a splurge, I work extra hard on burning calories in the gym or the pool as soon as I can.