meal planning

Options
maria76l
maria76l Posts: 32 Member
How do you guys meal plan ?
Do you include snacks ?
Do you break down your days worth of calories for set amounts for each meal ?

I'm going to start meal planning today as i can feel my diet slipping bad habits back in.

Replies

• mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Personally, I set out my food diary in different increments like 10am, 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 and I log a day or two ahead. I start off by working out what I will eat for dinner, then lunch and breakfast, and so then sacks can be slotted in depending on what is left to fit in according to my macro's and calories- treats go here. So tonight, I will log tomorrow's food - all of it, meals and snacks. I usually eat most calories of the afternoon and evening because that's when I typically feel like binging. My aim is to have something every two hours so I don't get hungry, I don't need to spend much time looking for food or being hungry and then eating something I'll regret like just digging into a packet.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I tend to not be too regimental with my diet. If I slip up, I tend to just ensure I keep to my weekly calorie deficit and remember that a day or two of going over or under a day's calories isn't the end of the world.
    Meal plan wise I use pepperplate to plan all my meals, and just have 2-3 meals with a snack - too many meals and I don't feel like I've had enough, too little and I get hungry and tempted to binge - although this is rare because I've got a habit of not really touching food during weekdays unless I really really want to. I prefer to have good sized portions with my meals and its also easier because I have a hectic job and can't have small pre-packed meals with me when travelling/with clients/etc.

I also tend to stick to guidelines - these small habits don't cost much but add up weekly and monthly to significant calorie deficits. For example, not drinking my calories except my daily skinny caffe latte (aka non-fat caffe latte), no sweet or processed foods during the weekdays, except a serving or two of fruit a day, or the occasional low-cal hot chocolate drink. A small dessert during the weekends if I feel like one, but I don't force myself or 'allocate' a dessert because there are many weeks I don't actually have dessert.

I also allow myself to switch around meals. If I'm really hungry I'll have the biggest meal at the time and then not have a big meal later in the day. I don't force snacks on myself if I don't feel like it. I fill up lots with green tea, water and the occasional diet drink - but I do not keep diet drinks at home because I try to not build up bad habits.