AFRAID OF BEING THIN

Options
I have lost 10lbs and already my face looks less bloated. And yes, I do feel better about myself. But will I relate to myself thin?
Who will I be ? iI have always been jovial, rolly-polly, chubby guy. And I know how to play that role. But who will I be thin ? What will i look like ? How will people relate to me ? We are all chasing this thin dream, but what's it gonna do for us when it comes true? Who will we have to become ?

Replies

• hobbseashaddow
    Options
    WOW Great Post! I guess its something that we all have to look forward too, Because we are amazing as we are now so being "half" the size we can only get better and better in both mind and body?!! Its Exciting and something i wish us all the very best in getting too.............. You will be Great!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I totally relate. I know I hide behind my extra pounds and use them as an excuse to prove to myself that I am not good enough, that I am not as successful as all those fit people . . . what if I am successful at weight loss, what else should I be accomplishing in life because I CAN do this? What will people expect of me when they see a different me?
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    After losing a lot of weight, I've "regressed" in other areas......(My therapist and) I have come to realize that I'm holding onto those regressions because it's too scary to just feel normal. Or something.
    Good luck on your loss to date, though.
    -LP
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can actually relate to this! When I was younger I lost weight and I actually turned into someone I didn't like very much. Very vain, I didn't treat men very nicely. I thought an awful lot of myself. However being fatter - lots of people like me! I am non threatening and "jolly"

The truth is I don't much like being fat - so I plan to lose weight but learn from the 1st time and be more grounded. I am hoping that the life lessons I have learnt will serve me well.

I think you will like yourself thin and more importantly fitter! Keep going I do believe how we behave is our choice and I know plenty of very funny likeable thin people!!
  • SassieSarah
    SassieSarah Posts: 26
    Options
    Dont chase the "fdream of being thin"..... Chase healthy...... U will like it:)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    You will still be you. People don't change who they are by gaining or losing weight. The fun chubby guy persona is just a front to hide your feelings about your weight. You can just as easily be the fun thin guy when you lose it.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Been there...done that brother !!! I still have people ask if I'm sick or using drugs...lol...I find myself being an advocate for living and promoting a healthy and fit lifestyle...after explaining the postive changes in my life...they want to get on board.
  • tillzie
    tillzie Posts: 16
    Options
    Gosh, I can relate to this! I'm the chubby girl, the funny one. I have no idea if I will change, but then I think about the fact that I've been bullied about my weight my whole life and I realize I will be the exact same person I am now, just lighter and a lot happier. Your personality is not fat. You are not defined by that scale. It's not who you are inside.!
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    it is hard for me to think of myself as 'thin', too. i'm not, actually, but i am thinner. my difficulty is that i have a handful of people who knew me when i was 50+pounds heavier...and they are always amazed at how much i've lost, but never comment that my personality has changed. and i don't feel it has. then there are the people who have only known me as i am now (with the last 10-15 pounds to lose)...they still make the same comments about my sense of humor and personality that my 'old' friends made.
    you don't go from being the old you to the new you overnight. the change is gradual, so I think your personality can keep up. I think, as adults, our personalities are usually already set.
    good luck, and don't worry...you can be jovial and healthy/thin!! :)
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    I doubt I will ever be " Thin" bit I can be healthy and fit. Right around 200 pounds would be ideal. Thin for me would be about 150.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Couldn't have said all those thoughts better myself. I've NEVER been thin so this whole journey is filled with fear and excitement. Can only imagine and hope that the transition will be smooth even though i know it will be a hard adjustment. I've found lately to be very irritable and angry and I really think it has to do with my journey...just scared.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Ive been fat all my life, what's it gonna be like when I'm suddenly not plus sized? Will it go to my head? Will it make me a better or worse person? That's why I didn't set my final too low to what my BMI said was recommended. I still wanna keep part of my squishy self, just healthier! Hopefully it all works out for the best, though.
  • merrycat
    merrycat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You will still be whoever you chose to be- just as you are now. Right now you're the jovial rolly-poly guy. There's no reason you can't be to jovial fit guy. Humor, compassion, kindness, wit, ambition, confidence - these things aren't tied to our weight. Even if people treat you differently once you lose weight, you still control how you treat others. You sound like a great guy now and I"m sure you'll be a great guy no matter what size you are :)
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    I think your questions are ones we all struggle with to some extent - I'm not sure I've ever seen them articulated so well. I only had 30+ pounds to lose and I still have had my share of identity issues along this "healthy" path.

I think that 1/2 the weight loss battle is actually losing the weight and 1/2 the weight loss battle is dealing with the psychological impact. Make sure you work hard being successful at both - they're both necessary in order to keep the weight off.

I also think it helps to lose the weight in a slow and steady way rather than dropping a bunch all at once. It helps your brain catch up with your body.

Best of luck to you!
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    I know what you mean.

I actually worry that people will judge me once I've lost the weight, like they'll all be saying "She must have food issues" or "she must be unhealthy" or "she's lost too much weight".

Totally ridiculous, I know.