Contradiction of what's good

Options
I started eating eggs for the first time a few months ago after hearing for years how good they are for you. In the morning I would have them either boiled or poached and maybe add one to a salad for lunch. Since being on here I noticed they make me go over my cholesterol levels for the day but help with increasing protein. This seems to be a contradiction?! Also, I know avacodo is high in "good fats" but cannot believe how many calories they contain compared to other salad items. Is it something you should have once in a while rather than daily?
Thanks

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's not a contradiction.

Yeah, avocados pack in the calories. If you can't fit them in every day, fit them in when you can if you want them in your diet.

Is there some medical reason why you're concerned about dietary cholesterol?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs daily in the winter

I eat avocado daily typically in the summer...

I started my weight loss due to high cholesterol levels and they are fine now...great actually.

Eat the eggs and the avocado...just stay in goal with calories. Also remember that the macros that default in MFP are mins esp for Fats and proteins.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs and/or avocados every day. Yes, they contain fat, but they also contain lots of other yummy, awesome for you things, like protein and healthy fats. I don't worry so much about the fat content and judge food items on their protein and fiber content, since those things seem to affect my body the most. Find what works for you. I know some people get some unsightly side effects of too much fat... especially on alli... I eat what tastes good as long as it fits into my calories.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the cholesterol in eggs. eggs are good for you.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on your blood cholesterol levels and if you can fit the avocado into your calories every day, then eat them whenever you wish.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you have no underlying health issues, eat whatever you want as long as you maintain a deficit (ie stay as close to your goal as possible).

21st century science says dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with blood cholesterol so a couple eggs a day are fine. Avocado is full of "healthy” fat, also fine. They are very calorie dense though, obviously when compared to lettuce or other greens that have literally almost no calories, an avocado is going to look terrifying on paper. But oh so good and happy in your salad.

You're on the right track! Best of luck :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    They are calorie dense as they're a good source of fat. Which is the most calorie dense macronutrient. You shouldn't eliminate fat because of the calories - you need it for good health.
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love them both and make them both fit into my daily calorie/macro goal. Unless you have high cholesterol I wouldn't worry about it! I eat them both very often along with lots of meat and jerky and my last chol test was 142
  • lau_rolypoly2holymoly
    lau_rolypoly2holymoly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No health issues just something I noticed. Brilliant advice from everyone. Thank you!!! Glad I asked now!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for nutritional studies to provide conflicting information because there are so many variables other than just the food involved. Humans are complicated and the same foods don't affect everyone the same. The best way to tell what's healthy for you is by having regular health checkups.

But, yeah, avocados are a very calorie dense food. Plus they are expensive here. I eat them occasionally.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have (hereditary) high cholesterol, and my doctor advised that the cholesterol found in relatively lean but high cholesterol foods like eggs and shrimp were okay for me to have. He said that exercise and losing weight would have a lot more impact on my levels than eating some eggs would.

But next time you see your doctor it might be worthwhile to ask about it. :)

My favorite trick/swap is to use a tablespoon of mashed avocado in place of mayonnaise, like on a sandwich or in tuna salad. You can even use to to make tasty deviled eggs if you're fine with the yolk being a strange color. XD
  • lau_rolypoly2holymoly
    Options
    What are deviled eggs?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    What's "bad" is eating more calories than you burn. Continually doing that will cause weight gain.

What's "good" is making sure that you at least mean your daily essentials of macro/micro nutrients without exceeding your calorie goal. How you go about doing that is a preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    laurief86 wrote: »
    What are deviled eggs?

in my world they are boiled eggs cut in half with the yolk taken out mixed with mayo/mustard salt/pepper and maybe some chopped onions and then put back into the boiled egg white...pretty tasty as a snack or to take to a party.
  • lau_rolypoly2holymoly
    Options
    Mmmm sound really nice! I reckon I could do that easily enough
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Mmmm sound really nice! I reckon I could do that easily enough

for sure...google deviled eggs..easy peasy...they are so popular where I am from they have special plates for them... :D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have (hereditary) high cholesterol, and my doctor advised that the cholesterol found in relatively lean but high cholesterol foods like eggs and shrimp were okay for me to have. He said that exercise and losing weight would have a lot more impact on my levels than eating some eggs would.

My favorite trick/swap is to use a tablespoon of mashed avocado in place of mayonnaise, like on a sandwich or in tuna salad. You can even use to to make tasty deviled eggs if you're fine with the yolk being a strange color. XD

Are you me? I could have written this post! Same with hereditary cholesterol, but it's normal now that I've lost almost half the weight I want to lose and exercise. My doctor was right, and she and I are both thrilled.

I also use avocado instead of mayo, simply because I don't like mayo. It makes a brilliant egg salad. Protip: use a pastry blender to mash up the eggs and avocado when making egg salad, then mix in any additional ingredients like chopped veggies after they're the consistency you like. Don't forget to add a squeeze of lemon juice.

• shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What are deviled eggs?

"Deviled" eggs are the ones used in those "studies" claiming eggs are "bad" and should be limited or avoided all together! LOL :huh:

festerw's comment:
    festerw wrote: »
    Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on your blood cholesterol levels and if you can fit the avocado into your calories every day, then eat them whenever you wish.
    is absolutely spot on!!! :wink:

Enjoy your eggs and avocados! :drinker:

• SezxyStef
    Options

Are you me? I could have written this post! Same with hereditary cholesterol, but it's normal now that I've lost almost half the weight I want to lose and exercise. My doctor was right, and she and I are both thrilled.

I also use avocado instead of mayo, simply because I don't like mayo. It makes a brilliant egg salad. Protip: use a pastry blender to mash up the eggs and avocado when making egg salad, then mix in any additional ingredients like chopped veggies after they're the consistency you like. Don't forget to add a squeeze of lemon juice.

good idea on the pastry blender...I love avocado on my egg salad sandwich...