How do you stay motivated

Options
how do you keep the goal going

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think of it as more of a lifestyle change. The only difference between the "losing weight" phase and the "maintenance" phase will be that I'll have a larger calorie budget when I'm maintaining.

When you are on a diet, that means that you will eventually go off the diet. If you go back to the way you used to eat, you will gain back the weight. Rather than dieting, watch your serving sizes and stay within your calorie goal.

It's best to make changes that you can live with for the rest of your life. Don't be too drastic.
  • AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like to look at how far I am from where I started. Makes me feel so good. :). Healthy competition among friends such as step challenges also keep me motivated. Finally I make small goals frequently. Achieving them is less daunting and when achieved really spurs me on to the next challenge. What a great question! Hope to glean some new ideas myself. Can never have too many motivational tools :)
  • lovematthewchristopher
    lovematthewchristopher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Very well said seska422. I think out of all the things that people can learn about a new lifestyle, that would be it. If it is important to you, then incorporate it into your new lifestyle, if it isnt, cut it out. If you arent happy eating the way you are eating now, you will go back to your old ways and gain the weight back again. Good luck with your journey!!!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to stay motivated, but when you eat, don't overeat.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated to maintain in a few ways. For starters, since I never deprived myself while I was losing, I find that maintaining is even easier. I still get to enjoy all the foods I like and I even get to eat a little more of them. I developed the habit of batch cooking on the weekends, so it's pretty easy to keep doing that. And finally, I gave away all my old clothes. I am plenty motivated to continue to wear my JCrew skinny colored jeans and the nice skirts and dresses I bought for work.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I remember that every day I slack off is another day added before I reach my goal. There is nothing worse than thinking "hey, if I had just started this a MONTH ago...I would be 4 more pounds down than I am right now".
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Every time I got on the scale and see I'm still in my range, I do the happy dance. And I do it every morning. And it's been 3 years.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I get up I try to think of the blessings in my life including my health and fitness. Another healthy day in my life is a gift! That's how I stay motivated.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I accepted that motivation sometimes doesn't last, that it is something I need to keep on working on and around, especially now when closer to goal. Probably most of us will face a period where motivation drops. Sometimes, when we see how far off our goal weight/look etc is, we lose a little motivation because we've decided internally that its too hard and the glitter of that initial drive starts to fade. That's something that happened to me, given that I started trying to lose weight over 1 year ago now and I'm still not where I want to be.

So, some of the things that drive me forward, are having a new smaller goal (smaller than just the big ones of lose x amount of total weight/fat % etc) after another, because these give me a sense of accomplishment, pride, and trick my mind into moving forward towards progress more easily because I've got something measurable to work toward. I started off just trying to be able to run 4.2km as a goal, and other ones have included 10k, 21k, 44k, also being able to lift a certain amount, bike a certain distance, walk x amount of steps every day for a month, walk 50km in one month, etc.

I'll usually have another goal or challenge once one has passed, sometimes alone or sometimes with friends. I believe that having goals will be good for maintenance as well, because I started off not being able to do any of those things, I was 100% sedentary and unfit, and now I have done all of that, and I just think okay "I might not be at my goal body/weight yet, but neither have I stopped trying to be healthier and fitter in over an entire year, I have never gotten back to where I once was when the other 24 years previously I did no moving and became more and more overweight"

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think once you truly change your habits and make a true lifestyle change, motivation no longer matters. Logging and exercise have become such a part of my routine that it's hard not to do. Plus all the motivation I need is knowing how much work it was to get here and I never want to do that again. I continue to focus on new goals, improving my fitness, trying new foods and recipes.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I look at the photos where my waist was 39 inches , then I check the mirror, see it's about 33 and remind myself I don't want to be able to not fit into my clothes again
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think maitenance is constantly evolving to meet your own needs. At first, I still tracked everything, every day. Now with summer here I realize that weekends are going to be my indulgence days so I have adapted to what I've seen other success stories do (I eat a bit less during the week and go easier on myself during weekends.) I still try to track even if Im a bit over calories on weekends...but if I'm super busy and don't track every morsel..I don't beat myself up about it!

I think you were asking more of what drives us though. For me, it is so many things. I love seeing a friend or family member I haven't seen since my weight loss earlier this year..their reactions SHOW me that it's working! I also love being able to be physically active and to also have a pep in my step during normal activities. With the summer here I love that I am really comfortable wearing dresses for the first time in a couple years!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Find a routine/habit that works for you. For me that means having daily activity goals, logging my food. And having a maintenance range rather than a specific maintenance target weight. I am more strict when I'm on the high end of my range, in terms of keeping to a certain calorie intake. When I'm on the low end, I splurge a little more. When in the middle, depends on the day/situation. But I still log, still aim for accuracy even though I do not use the food scale all the time now.
    how do you keep the goal going
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still get on the scale daily also. 7+ months of maintenance for me. :) We're going on a short vacation in a couple of weeks. Probably leaving the scale at home. That's gonna be strange.
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Every time I got on the scale and see I'm still in my range, I do the happy dance. And I do it every morning. And it's been 3 years.

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    What has helped me the most is having support from people on the same kind of journey. MFP is good and I belong to a Facebook fitness group also -- they are my sanity and my inspiration on those many many tough days.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm already on the edge of being diabetic. My motivation is that I must not allow prediabetes to cross over into the misery of full blown diabetes.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I remember that every day I slack off is another day added before I reach my goal. There is nothing worse than thinking "hey, if I had just started this a MONTH ago...I would be 4 more pounds down than I am right now".

Oh have I been there!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I just like being hot. LOL I also like looking younger as I get older. We live in Florida so we are never wearing much in the ways of clothing and we wear bathing suits a lot...so I guess a mix of all of these things.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Been in maintenance for a couple years now and I've found that for me, I have to keep myself focused. I'm always working towards new goals (food, health or fitness related). When I don't have goals that I'm striving for I get lazy and let things slide.

The weight loss phase is for a fairly short period of time. The maintenance phase is for the rest of our lives-20, 30, 40+ years. With the dismal success rate for long term maintenance I'm very aware how easy it is to get off track, and once that happens it's a pretty slippery slope. I plan on keeping on top of things for the rest of my life, in big part by always working towards a health/fitness/food goal, to keep my weight and health in the forefront of my life :)
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with what sarasmaintaining just wrote. "The weight loss phase is for a fairly short period of time. The maintenance phase is for the rest of our lives-20, 30, 40+ years. "

I never give up as I never set an end point. As I reach a goal I set another. So far I have maintained my weight but I realize every day I get older the harder it is to burn fat so I don't put myself in a position where I need to go any extra than what I do now. So when I run I set a new distance. I change my running course or I change the time I want to finish. I take days where I walk or days where I ride my bike. I never want a day to go by where I did not do 30 minutes to an hour of some form of activity. My point is I no longer diet. Eating well is part of my life now for 2 years and it is not an issue. My lifestyle change is being active. As long as I compete for personal goals and friendly step or running challenges I have no problem with motivation.