Food scale: best friend?

Options
kaassiia
kaassiia Posts: 51 Member
How has a good scale helped or not helped in your journey?

I just bought one yesterday and I love being able to more accurately track my intake. I wish I would've gotten one earlier!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd bought mine earlier in my weight loss journey. I found it easier and more accurate than measuring cups and it's a lot easier to clean up after a meal (fewer dishes). Plus, I love feeling like a mad scientist every morning!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have two main tools for success in my fitness journey.

Heart rate monitor since I workout to reach a heart rate zone.

Food scale so I have a better idea of what I'm taking in.

I look at my calorie intake left for dinner and get the portion of meat that keeps me inside my target.

I found I was a bad estimator...
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Major help. That plus actually looking at the labels and understanding what a "Serving" means.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Well since I totally suck at eyeballing, I'd say it's a fantastic tool. My 60+ lbs lost also agrees.
  • kaassiia
    Options
    @natabost YES! According to serving size I always thought I was a family of four
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I can't say my food scale is my best friend---because we have 3 of them! I keep one in the kitchen, one in our downstairs kitchen and one in my drawer at work!
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    kaassiia wrote: »
    @natabost YES! According to serving size I always thought I was a family of four

Ha!

I underestimated the weight of beef and overestimated fish

A half pound of steak is tiny, of Cod it is a lot !

And for sausages... Well a 6" link was the closer to 4"

Ha!

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I love my WW digital scales; as well as the measuring spoons I bought from them. I also have another good set of measuring cups and spoons and when I measure by the cup- or spoon-full; I measure my food as being a level one. I think portion control is key in losing weight because you can keep up with the portions better. Sometimes I am surprised at how much of things you can have that have minimal calories in them. Exercise is also key to losing weight as well as getting in the 8 8-ounces of water per day (or more). Posting accurately and not trying to 'eyeball' a service is also important. Understanding labels, too.
  • kaassiia
    Options
    @professionalHobbyist I also use a heart monitor. Polar ft4. Which do you use? It is amazing how different the calories burned show on the cardio machines on comparison to what is shown on the watch. I always have the machines show 70+ calories more.
  • kaassiia
    Options
    @diannethegeek did you find you started to lose more weight after measuring?
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    I have a FT40 and got a Garmin Vivo Smart as a new toy.

• NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

RIGHT?!? I also saw the scale move once I started realizing weighing was the way to go.
  • kaassiia
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Well since I totally suck at eyeballing, I'd say it's a fantastic tool. My 60+ lbs lost also agrees.

Congrats!! 60lbs is quite an accomplishment!
    I suck at eyeballing and am just realizing this!
  • kaassiia
    Options
    @GRITSandSLUTS did you buy them online? I bought a regular one from target but I heard the WW ones are great!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Not just a scale.. but a digital scale - that was the start of the love affair. I had the old fashion type of scales before and they are super unreliable. Try it. Weigh something.. push the scale up and down a few time and it will give a different measure. Those 3 and 5 grams here and there add up fast!

Same for scoops. A big booooo to scoops. Scoops are liars.
  • kaassiia
    Options
    I have a FT40 and got a Garmin Vivo Smart as a new toy.
    which do prefer? Is the garmin for running? I want to upgrade my ft4.
  • kaassiia
    Options
    NataBost wrote: »

RIGHT?!? I also saw the scale move once I started realizing weighing was the way to go.

Awesome! Exacty what I'm looking to hear! I am so excited to start weighing and measuring my foods and are what happens. I have definitely stalled in my weight loss.

• professionalHobbyist
    Options
    The cardio glide at the gym will read my HRM if I don't hold the grips tight on the sensors.

I use it all as a close guess. I think my metabolism is slow! I always have to estate my exercise calories low.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have never owed or used a food scale even when I was counting calories. I don't use one now to maintain either. I think they can be very helpful for those who really need to monitor all calories that they take in.
  • kaassiia
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Not just a scale.. but a digital scale - that was the start of the love affair. I had the old fashion type of scales before and they are super unreliable. Try it. Weigh something.. push the scale up and down a few time and it will give a different measure. Those 3 and 5 grams here and there add up fast!

Same for scoops. A big booooo to scoops. Scoops are liars.

That's what I need! Measuring spoons!