Cardio in an upstairs apartment?

Options
Hello, giant community of people!

I am seeking some insight into how to reach my target heart rate during a home workout without the need for excessive jumping.
I recently moved into an upstairs apartment, and all of my cardio go-tos involve jumping, jogging, or bouncing that I worry may disturb my downstairs neighbors.
Does anyone have any (machine-less) ideas that can help me out?

Thanks!

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just do low-impact routines (see fitnessblender or youtube). Circuit training with light dumbbells should do it (like JM's No More Trouble Zones, or Jari Love's DVDs - just increase the weight of the dumbbells to increase intensity.)

Also
    - Instead of jumping, add a kick to every movement. Eg squat + kick (1 rep), lunge + kick (1 rep). Kickboxing routines in general
    - Step-ups. Step-ups + kicks
    - Burpees, but step instead of jump out, and do them quickish. Getups, too. You could do 1 quiet burpee + 1 getup for 1 rep.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Exercise mat on the floor. I use one and jump rope. Downstairs neighbors don't hear a thing.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    try it

if they complain, tell them you're exercising

if they complain more, get an exercise mat

if they complain further still, leave a bag of *kitten* on their doorstep
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used to live in an apartment and I did Jillian michaels 30 day shred. There's just a couple jumping parts so I found it wasn't too disturbing to the neighbours.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Run the stairs...
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's 30-60 minutes, right? They'll live.

Unless you work out at 2 in the morning?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    mikedenali wrote: »
    Run the stairs...

or run the jewels fast
  • SaraVarley
    SaraVarley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
    I think I'll get a mat and add more low-impact routines and kick moves into my normal routine. I did go for a run this morning at a nice park with a track not far from my new place, so that is always an option as well.