What weight should I be lifting??

Options
Hi,
I have been going to the gym 4-5 days per week & have been doing a mixture of cardio & weights, but twice now I have been told that I am lifting too heavy & should be lifting lighter with more reps!!
What do you lift to lose weight & tone??
(I'm female btw)

Replies

• SandraMay1982
    SandraMay1982 Posts: 328
    Options
    I do two sets. 15 reps.

i do a weight where the last 5 or so reps in the second set are a struggle.

I am thinking of doing more though. I like lifting weights more than I like doing cardio so it seems. ha.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    If you don't care about about getting physically strong or bigger, just lift enough that you feel the resistance and do 12-15 reps. If you want to feel the burn, you'll have to pick a weight that makes the last few difficult in each set. If you can't get to 12 in the first set, the weight is too much.
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How much are you lifting (lbs) and what exercises?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy!! If anyone tells you to go light on the weights, remember the words of the great L.L. Cool J "Momma said to knock you out!"

If you desire fitness and strength, you gotta lift heavy.

Girl, rockstars don't use the pink weights.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    To lose weight and tone you do cardio to lose the fat. Strength training builds muscle size and strength, which helps increase the calorie burn when doing cardio because of the increased muscle mass. Lift as heavy as you can for 5-10 reps to increase strength and size. The last couple of reps should be a bit of a struggle to finish. Don't bother using light weights that you can do 15+ reps with, because you're not really doing your muscles any good. The weight isn't enough to challenge your muscles and make them grow, and the exercise doesn't last long enough to have any cardio benefit. It sounds like you're doing just fine lifting heavier weights. I believe that the person that gave you that advice is mistaken, and is probably one of those people that sit there doing 30 reps with a little 2 or 3 pound dumbbell, and wonder why they're not getting stronger or losing weight.
  • kevandkeira
    kevandkeira Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How much are you lifting (lbs) and what exercises?

I lift between 60 to 80 depending on the machine, not sure if thats lb or kg? will check when i'm at the gym tonight.
    I do 2 sets of 15 reps, on around 15-20 machines, which cover pretty much my whole body.
    I go with 3 other girls & they are lifting around 30 max, but I find the weight i'm lifting fine (starts to hurt on last few lifts/crunches etc)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Don't lift so heavy that you sacrifice form. That's the main thing, I think..... If people have been watching you, they might see that your form is suffering and instead of telling you that, they're telling you how to fix it (lift lighter). Just a thought. Happy lifting!
    -LP
  • Roo086
    Roo086 Posts: 2
    Options
    10 - 12 reps and the last 3 should be a struggle, that's where you are feeling the burn. Giving you the fat burning benefits and the tone without the bulk. 6 -8 reps with the last 3 a struggle is more the muscle building range. From what I understand it is very difficult for women to end up with bulk muscle any way.

Very light weight and lots of reps can help with building muscle endurance.

Good luck with your training :-)
  • Roo086
    Roo086 Posts: 2
    Options
    10 - 12 reps and the last 3 should be a struggle, that's where you are feeling the burn. Giving you the fat burning benefits and the tone without the bulk. 6 -8 reps with the last 3 a struggle is more the muscle building range. From what I understand it is very difficult for women to end up with bulk muscle any way.

Very light weight and lots of reps can help with building muscle endurance.

Good luck with your training :-)
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I agree - lift heavy! Provided your technique is good so you don't hurt yourself...
    Those tiny little light weights don't do much.

I work on getting 8 reps. If I can get 10-12 in a set then I go up a weight. If I'm getting 6-8 then it's a good weight for me.

I love weights :happy:
  • cconeill
    Options
    I don't think 60 to 80 is too much at all, Just do a little less reps with heavier weight start out with light weights with high reps and end with heavier weights with lower reps. It is OK for a woman to lift heavy wish I could lift that much :( Good Luck and keep it up
  • cconeill
    Options
    I don't think 60 to 80 is too much at all, Just do a little less reps with heavier weight start out with light weights with high reps and end with heavier weights with lower reps. It is OK for a woman to lift heavy wish I could lift that much :( Good Luck and keep it up