Olive Oil Confusion

Options
I eat a salad every day for lunch. Instead of dressing, I just use 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. I have been reading a lot of conflicting articles on the subject. Some say it's good for you, some say it's just fat. When I log the entire salad it ends up being 21 grams of fat. That seems really high to me. I don't want to use store bought dressing, mainly cause I like to eat as natural as possible I would love to get some advice! Is what I am eating bad? Do I need to cut out the oil? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Here is the breakdown of the entire salad:
1 c Spinach
1 c Kale
1/2 c Red Cabbage
1/2 c Cherry Tomato
1/2 c Cucumber
2 tbsp Black Olive
15 grams Feta Cheese
2 oz Edamame
3 oz Firm Tofu
1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Thanks!

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a great source of healthy fat and is a great option for salad dressing :) I usually use a tbsp of olive oil a day in various things.
  • kjb678
    kjb678 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need healthy fats in your diet. Olive Oil is considered a healthy fat. It is fine to have! Enjoy!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is fat and that is just fine. If it were me, I'd add some balsamic vinegar, a little dry mustard, salt and pepper to it and make a nice vinegrette.
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you are following a Ketogenic diet, the olive oil is great! The fat content helps you stay at the required fat levels necessary to lose weight. If you are not, olive oil is still healthy fat that will benefit your body.
  • clamsrcute
    clamsrcute Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fat is important for many reasons, especially that it makes you feel full. There are different kinds of fat, some good and some bad, and olive oil is the highest in the BEST kind of fat that will even help lower unhealthy blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Keep it up :smile:
  • rarimmel
    rarimmel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is amazing on salad! Sometimes I squirt lemons over the salad and toss with a pinch of salt and pepper if I can't make my own dressing. Delicious! I've mixed olive oil with some red wine vinegar and some spices. More vinegar than oil, it's such a healthy alternative!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    olive oil, salt, balsamic vinegar

it is the law

:gavel:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    bic922 wrote: »
    I eat a salad every day for lunch. Instead of dressing, I just use 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. I have been reading a lot of conflicting articles on the subject. Some say it's good for you, some say it's just fat. When I log the entire salad it ends up being 21 grams of fat. That seems really high to me. I don't want to use store bought dressing, mainly cause I like to eat as natural as possible I would love to get some advice! Is what I am eating bad? Do I need to cut out the oil? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Here is the breakdown of the entire salad:
    1 c Spinach
    1 c Kale
    1/2 c Red Cabbage
    1/2 c Cherry Tomato
    1/2 c Cucumber
    2 tbsp Black Olive
    15 grams Feta Cheese

2 oz Edamame
    3 oz Firm Tofu
    1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Thanks!

The bolded all have fats in them...but they are all healthy fats so you are good...
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have never heard anything bad about olive oil. It is very good for you and the fats are good fats. the mediterranean diet is one of the best there is and olive oil is a main staple.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Olive oil is a healthy fat, but you shouldn't cook with it at higher temperatures (which is not an issue with your salad), and as a fat of course it has lots of calories.

I don't think olive oil alone would be that tasty as a dressing--I'm in the camp of mix with vinegar and perhaps some mustard and herbs (dill is delicious on a salad) or pepper. You can make a classic vinaigrette and I've found even that less oil and more vinegar can often be as tasty if you want to save calories. (I often do because I like to add olives themselves to the salad, plus feta or some other cheese and/or protein. Also, I don't like the dressing to be as oily just for personal preference.)

Also, it all comes down to how much dressing you add. People often think more is necessary than really is.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love both olive and coconut oil. And yes, you do need essential (healthy) fats in order to function properly, as they help regulate hormones and other things such as cholesterol.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Olive oil is a healthy fat, but you shouldn't cook with it at higher temperatures (which is not an issue with your salad), and as a fat of course it has lots of calories.

I don't think olive oil alone would be that tasty as a dressing--I'm in the camp of mix with vinegar and perhaps some mustard and herbs (dill is delicious on a salad) or pepper. You can make a classic vinaigrette and I've found even that less oil and more vinegar can often be as tasty if you want to save calories. (I often do because I like to add olives themselves to the salad, plus feta or some other cheese and/or protein. Also, I don't like the dressing to be as oily just for personal preference.)

Also, it all comes down to how much dressing you add. People often think more is necessary than really is.

Is this just extra virgin olive oil or regular olive oil too? I just realized yesterday I've been using evoo for baking fish, oops :p Was going to pick up regular olive oil today for baking and the also for stirfrys. Yes, no?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. I've also read that olive oil aids in digestion and helps you better absorb the nutrients in your salad. Not sure if it is true, but a little fat on my salad helps me feel full longer.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fat helps you utilize the nutrients in greens, so I think keeping at least some of the fat is a good idea. Still, you have 5 fat-containing ingredients in that salad, so I doubt dropping one or two would hurt if you are concerned about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Is this just extra virgin olive oil or regular olive oil too? I just realized yesterday I've been using evoo for baking fish, oops :p Was going to pick up regular olive oil today for baking and the also for stirfrys. Yes, no?

There is nothing wrong with cooking with extra virgin olive oil. It is not as suseptible to oxidative damage when heated as other oils. Plus, it's tastes so good!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You are eating a lot of fats in that salad, from the black olives, feta cheese, and olive oil especially. They are "good" fats, but still fats. If they fit into your calorie allowance I wouldn't change anything. If you want to decrease calories or the amount of fat you are eating with this salad, consider taking out either the black olives or feta cheese.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    it is just fat...and it is good for you. dietary fat is highly essential...the 80s are over; dietary fat doesn't make you fat. The low fat/no fat craze was probably the most damaging of all nutrition crazes both in terms of people's actual health as well as people's perception of what is healthy and nutritious.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options

There is nothing wrong with cooking with extra virgin olive oil. It is not as suseptible to oxidative damage when heated as other oils. Plus, it's tastes so good!

Ah, thanks!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I tend not to stir fry using Olive oil because it has quite a strong taste - rapeseed or another milder oil works better.

But olive oil mixed with vinegars for a vinaigrette on salads is just great and very healthy - and almost certainly better than a shop-bought dressing.

I also clean my face using olive oil. It's good stuff!!!
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been put on a low-fat (below 50 g daily) diet, there is nothing wrong with your salad. I agree with adding some flavored vinegar. It will also add health benefits without a lot of calories.

Olive oil can be used for cooking, but lower temperatures are better for it. Fish are usually cooked at a fairly low temperature, so olive oil (any kind) would be good. For stir-fries and other very-high-temperature cooking, you might be happier with peanut oil or canola oil. They both can stand the heat and are good-for-you oils, too.