Spinning Classes

Options
Hi everyone,

I was just looking for some information on spinning classes.

These classes at my gym always have spaces free so I thought about trying it out. However after googling spinning people are saying it is horrendously hard!

What are peoples experience of spinning classes? I currently exercise 4 times a week but do not want to do something that I am not going to be able to cope with!!!

Any thoughts/advice/experiences would be welcome.

Thanks

Replies

• aimgirl
    aimgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was always afraid to try it but my husband made me go and it's fine. It's not easy, but you just go at your own pace. The first few times I went I tried to stand up and pedal when they tell you to, but I couldn't do it. After a few classes I was able to. But, no one cares....just do what you can and you'll get better and better. It's a great calorie burner. I wore a heart rate monitor and always burn about 500 calories in an hour.

And look at it this way too- the first and last song are warm up/cool down- so it's really only about 50 minutes of tough. Good luck!
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I enjoy spinning classes. They are hard but as with any exercise they are only as hard and challenging as you make it. You can control the tension on the bikes and that is what makes it harder or easier.
  • marysimmons
    marysimmons Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Spinning is AWESOME!!! It is hard at first but if you stick with it I promise you you will love it!!! I have been doing it for three years now and lost some serious weight from that class!! And others I know have as well. you sweat like no other cardio you will do!! Start at your own pace and dont try and compete with others!! The main thing is to stay the whole class and dont walk out like alot of people do. If you get tired just slow down. TRY IT!! You will not be sorry and your body will love you for it!! And your legs as well a great leg tonning program!!
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning! it took about a 6 sessions for my bottom to not hurt and to be able to keep up with teacher. But it's such a great workout! when i started i did it 3 times a week and it didn't take too long to get used to it, just go at your own pace and sit down when you need to even if the teacher and everyone else is standing, you will get used to it. (Higher resistence is much easier when you are standing up than sitting down too)

good luck! i hope you enjoy it! if you have any other questions please ask or add me! x
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    It's hard, but you can definitely do it!

Be prepared, the seat is probably going to really bother you the first 2-3 times you do it, I know that was one of the worst parts for me during my first class! Definitely go at your own pace, don't put too much resistance on until you have a chance to get used to it.

It's a great calorie burner, it will probably kick your butt the first time you do it, but make sure you go back again! I've known so many people that have done it once and said it was awful, I'll never do it again! But it actually gets easier the 2nd & 3rd time you do it and eventually it's just like every other exercise you would do.
  • HJSilva
    HJSilva Posts: 29
    Options
    Spin class is great! Like CPTino said it is only as hard or easy as you make it. You burn a ton of calories!!
  • Loubell83
    Loubell83 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi all, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts!

Glad to know that it is not just me that is/was scared of the idea of my first spinning class. I probably will be dying for 2 days afterwards but I will try my best!

So I can change the resistance level of the bike during the class? And also can I stay seated if I am struggling?

Thanks
  • aimgirl
    Options
    Yes, set your own resistance and yes, stay seated if you choose!
  • aimgirl
    Options
    Actually the hardest thing about it (for me anyway) was getting used to how sore the seat makes your butt! LOL.
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    I took my first spinning class yesterday (after months of procrastinating) and I love it!!! I wasn't able to keep up with the standing (position 2) and squatting (position 3) parts but I kept pedaling and was very excited that I completed the class. All the newbies were on the back row and encouraging each other. It was fun and the times goes by without you realizing it. i was so focused on trying to keep pedaling that I didn't know I was doing a hours (50 min+) worth of riding.

I plan to go back at least 3x a week. The inability to keep up and do all the positions has turned into a challenge. Go for it. Nothing to lose but sweat! Let us know how you like it.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Actually the hardest thing about it (for me anyway) was getting used to how sore the seat makes your butt! LOL.
    So, I won't look too dumb if I walk in wearing my padded bike shorts?
  • aimgirl
    Options
    In my class I haven't seen anyone wear the padded shorts---but go for it. It certainly would help.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs in 7 months due to just spinning twice a week. As others have said, it's as hard as you make it. The first class is usually the hardest class. I taught a spin class for the past year and I had a girl come in wearing the padded shorts and I wouldn't have known without her saying so. You do get used to it after a couple weeks.
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am just like you... a bit hesitant. It seems so intimidating. But I am really considering it as well! Good luck if you decide to try!!
  • TheMrsBee
    Options
    I took my first spinning class yesterday (after months of procrastinating) and I love it!!! I wasn't able to keep up with the standing (position 2) and squatting (position 3) parts but I kept pedaling and was very excited that I completed the class. All the newbies were on the back row and encouraging each other. It was fun and the times goes by without you realizing it. i was so focused on trying to keep pedaling that I didn't know I was doing a hours (50 min+) worth of riding.

I plan to go back at least 3x a week. The inability to keep up and do all the positions has turned into a challenge. Go for it. Nothing to lose but sweat! Let us know how you like it.

I love spinning and i did it for about 6-7 months and then due to holiday and work committments i stopped but cannot wait to get back in there! Even though i had been doing it for so long i can't and STILL can't do the squatting postion, so i keep my resistence up and stay standing (or try and sit down with it up as that works your abs. I definitely agree that it turns in to a challenge to keep up with everyone else and especially the teacher!
    It's a FAB workout! Good Luck to all who are starting!!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You can do it :) I went to spinning class today...all 268 lbs of me...spinning along side others who were incredibly in shape, and I felt like I held my own..it is all about your workout...don't worry about what others are doing!

And actually I find it easiest when standing because gravity helps you push the pedals...sitting is sometimes the hardest :)
  • aurelius108
    Options
    Spin classes are great fun, but I prefer LIFT Training in my local gym, they're the hardest class I ever done and it burnes far more than any other I've done. Today it was a special 2h class and I burned 1230cal. Amazing!!! ;)
  • Stormpanther
    Options
    It is hard. I am not keen on it but lots of people at my gym do it
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have never taken a spinning class. I have lots of exercise equipment in my basement and that's where I work out. I like my privacy when working out. I have tried the gym but it never worked out for me. No waiting, no sweaty machines, no interruptions or time limits is what I have at home in the basement. Anyway, I was wondering if a recumbent bike workout for an hour at different levels is just like spinning and if not what is the difference. Usually I do the bike if I am too tired to run or use the elliptical or just to change it up a bit.
  • TheMrsBee
    Options
    I have never taken a spinning class. I have lots of exercise equipment in my basement and that's where I work out. I like my privacy when working out. I have tried the gym but it never worked out for me. No waiting, no sweaty machines, no interruptions or time limits is what I have at home in the basement. Anyway, I was wondering if a recumbent bike workout for an hour at different levels is just like spinning and if not what is the difference. Usually I do the bike if I am too tired to run or use the elliptical or just to change it up a bit.

Spinning is different than normal bikes at the gym as it has resistence that you turn up and down for going up hills or going down or on a flat. Also you do exercises on the bike (follow the teacher) maybe you should try one class and see how you get on. I don't know where abouts you are in the world (i'm in england) and the gym i am a member of doesn't give time limits and you have to wipe down your machines after use (there is tissue provided)

Good luck in reaching your goals! :-)