Healthy blueberry pancakes

Options
Please can someone give me the ingredients and method to make healthy blueberry pancakes? Guessing would use egg whites and obviously blueberrys but what else?? Thanks

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I use plain pancake mix (the just add water kind) and add blueberries. In my experience, it's the syrup that's harder to fit into my day. The pancakes aren't too bad nutrition-wise, as long as you stick to the right portions.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    pancake mix + whole milk + egg + blueberries = blueberry pancakes
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Greek yogurt blueberry pancakes? Its is really easy and they are pretty tasty. You just take a 5.3 oz container of nonfat Greek yogurt, 1 egg or two egg whites mix the egg into the yogurt, add 1/2 c flour and 1 t. baking soda and mix in. The batter is really thick, so then you scoop the batter onto your skillet and add the blueberries onto the pancakes, so when you flip them they are cooked in. They really didn't need anything added to them either.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what would be "unhealthy" about regular pancake mix? This is truly an honest question....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I use Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat pancake mix, almond milk, flax seed and blueberries.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I use whole wheat flour, yogurt and eggs in my mix. Then you can stir in whatever fruit you like.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people use protein powder to make pancakes to fit into their macro's and to make them "healthier" I have never tried them but I have not found a protein that I like taste-wise
  • ihaveeverythingineed
    ihaveeverythingineed Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kodiak Cake mix plus milk plus vanilla plus blueberries
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Could do flour in place of the mix (I forget off top of my head what else would be missing by doing that) - add protein powder as well - but yeah the above is really a good minimum. Love the use of whole milk in that - gotta have whole milk in pancakes.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Could do flour in place of the mix (I forget off top of my head what else would be missing by doing that) - add protein powder as well - but yeah the above is really a good minimum. Love the use of whole milk in that - gotta have whole milk in pancakes.

or Half/Half - like real cream - not heavy cream - I loved using half/half in baking/cooking when I had my chocolate business.
  • ihaveeverythingineed
    ihaveeverythingineed Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe she means healthy as apposed to white flour pancakes that havesugar and butter, etc. Not as many nutrients or protein as something made out buckwheat or a flour that is more nutrient dense.
  • lau_rolypoly2holymoly
    lau_rolypoly2holymoly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Will definitely be trying these out :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Baking powder for leavening......

This isn't blueberry...but the recipes on this site are great

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/banana-nut-pancakes.html
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Honestly, I use plain pancake mix (the just add water kind) and add blueberries. In my experience, it's the syrup that's harder to fit into my day. The pancakes aren't too bad nutrition-wise, as long as you stick to the right portions.
    The regular syrup calorie count angers me. I do the sugar free one, to the disdain of my family. But I'm happy with the compromise :)
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Personally, I like oatmeal buttermilk pancakes. I find them to be waaaay more filling than the light, fluffy style of pancake, and I like the taste. It just takes a bit of planning ahead because you have to soak the oatmeal.

I can't recall where I got the recipe, but below is what I did last time. You can easily add some blueberries if you want.
    • 1 cup scottish oatmeal (this is a finely ground oatmeal, perhaps quick oats would work too? Definitely don't use rolled/old fashioned.)
    • 1-2 tbsp flour, to get the right consistency
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 cup 1% buttermilk (or regular, if you want)
    • 3/4 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp vanilla
    • 1.5 tbsp sugar
    • 1 whole egg
    • 1/8 tsp salt
    • 1 tbsp canola oil

Soak the oatmeal in the buttermilk for at least an hour (I did it overnight). Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir in the wet. Cook, in a lightly oiled non-stick pan, over medium-low heat until browned on one side and bubbles stop forming. Flip, and brown the other side.

I made 4 very large, fill-your-plate style pancakes from this, at ~270cal each. They have 10g of protein, too! Very filling, although I confess my father and I ate the whole batch between the two of us and then groaned about being too full for a few hours...

Really, with pancakes, the toppings you choose are usually the highest calorie part! We ate these with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and various fruit toppings. My father also added chocolate cream cheese.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    The regular syrup calorie count angers me. I do the sugar free one, to the disdain of my family. But I'm happy with the compromise :)

I eat my pancakes with Greek yogurt these days. Talk about disdain from those who are supposed to love you! I used to mix some real maple syrup in with my pancake batter, but I ran out and I'm too cheap to buy more.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    These pumpkin spice pancakes are now my favourite.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-pumpkin-spice-pancakes.htm

For "healthier" versions of a pancake, I look at the toppings. Hubby and I eat our pancakes with yogurt and berries these days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    These pumpkin spice pancakes are now my favourite.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-pumpkin-spice-pancakes.htm

For "healthier" versions of a pancake, I look at the toppings. Hubby and I eat our pancakes with yogurt and berries these days.

Paying attention to the toppings is a good idea. It's usually peanut butter and pure maple syrup for me. But in berry season I sometimes forego this for fresh berry compote.

My pancakes are pretty high calorie, but I only eat them on days I'm going to be working outside all day.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Maybe she means healthy as apposed to white flour pancakes that havesugar and butter, etc. Not as many nutrients or protein as something made out buckwheat or a flour that is more nutrient dense.

what would be wrong with butter or sugar? Does the sugar and butter negate the nutrients in the blueberries?