drinking tea to help hunger pains

Options
I have recently started dieting again! I have found by mid morn I am hungry so am having a couple cups of tea to subside the hunger pains. Exactly the same in the afternoon! Should I be doin this? Or will it stop the weight coming off??
TIA

Replies

• gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    One thing I would suggest if you are having significant hunger is to portion out your calories differently than you have been. Instead of 3 large meals(i'm guessing that's what you do), poriton them out to 5 small meals. And make each small meal as balanced as you can- but they really really should include a protein and some fiber.
    my other suggestion is to make sure you daily calories are where you really need them to be, based on activity level.
    What you're eating also plays a major role. Are you eating all low-cal, low/no fat, fake sugar substitute stuff? I find that I can feel fuller longer having reasonable portion sizes of normal foods. Fruits, veggies, lean proteins, healthy fats, 100%whole grains. I'd rather have an extra thin slice of a really good extra sharp cheddar than a big slice of low-fat "cheese".

Hydration is important, and tea can be a healthy addition to your daily nutrition. But if you are downing cups of tea at time to stave off real, substantial hunger, then things may not be where you need them to be to sustain a good program. Just my 0.02.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What is your diet like? How many calories are you eating on a typical day?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters. For breakfast a bowl of sugary cereal and skim milk doesn't cut it. I need to bump up the protein & fiber. Low fat this - and low fat that is also a recipe for hunger. My most filling breakfast is Greek yogurt mixed with Kashi GoLean & a few nuts. Keeps me full until lunch.

Perhaps your overall daily calorie goal is too small. If your goal is 1200 (before exercise)....you are at the lowest minimum default. Bump down your weekly goal and get a few more calories. You want this to be sustainable. Finally the number MFP gave you is with zero exercise. Plan on eating at least some calories back (estimates can be pretty high).
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I have recently started dieting again! I have found by mid morn I am hungry so am having a couple cups of tea to subside the hunger pains. Exactly the same in the afternoon! Should I be doin this? Or will it stop the weight coming off??
    TIA

I don't see how drinking tea to curb hunger could stop the weight from coming off...?

Should you be doing this? I guess it depends...are you truly, physically hungry or do you just WANT something. If it's the latter, tea sounds like a great distraction.

If you are really hungry mid morning, look at your breakfast and evaluate if you're getting enough protein, fat, and healthy carbs. And if you're eating enough calories. I eat about 300 calories every day for breakfast with 1/3 cup oatmeal, 1 tbsp peanut butter, and 1 small (80 calorie) container of greek yogurt. Only 300 calories but I am full and not hungry again until lunch time (over 4 hours after breakfast).

Take a look at your total daily calorie allowance and try to create a "budget". I once read that dinner should only be 25% of your total calories. Of course you can eat whenever you want, but if you're starving throughout the day, that could be a good strategy to even things out: budget 25% of your calories each to breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and the remaining 25% for snacks. So if you're on 1600 daily, you have 400 at each meal and another 400 to divide amongst snacks. That should keep you full. Even on 1200 a day, it's the same except it's 300 per meal (and 300 total for snacks). You don't have to do it this way...by all means eat more or less whenever you want as long as you're within budget, but it's an idea if you want to temporarily figure out how to ration food more evenly throughout the day.

Then again, none of this matters if your calorie allotment is way too low for your height and weight. Make sure you're giving yourself enough room for what you need, even if it means weight a little slower.

• Dday0829
    Dday0829 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently started "making better food choices" about a week ago. Don't refer to this as a "diet". That word always triggers thoughts of deprivation. Make sure you are getting enough protein for breakfast...eggs work for me, it will help you feel full longer. Also, make sure you are getting in some good fats. Maybe you need to stretch your portions throughout the day. Everyone's body is different. Keep trying different things, it won't be long before you find what works best for you! Good luck!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Or, you could... you know... eat a snack... If you are getting hungry at the same time every day plan an extra snack...
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    No, tea will not disrupt weight loss. Tea is hydrating and zero/negligible calories if you add no sugar/milk.

You may want to examine why you're so hungry. Height, weight, goal, calories?
  • lizairey1987
    lizairey1987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok a lot of mix comments back thanks.
    I have been having smoothies full of fruit and slim fast for bfast and I tend to have a yog or more fruit if I get really hungry mid morn. I'm going to try and have a cooked meal at lunch time to keep me fuller for longer. I've been eating around 1200 calories a day which Is a lot less than what I'm used to! It seems to b working tho as I've lost 5lb in 4 days!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you add an egg or maybe some kashi, you won't be as hungry maybe

5lbs within that time frame is not healthy and likely not sustainable(typically)