BlueBaron37
BlueBaron37 Posts: 107 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
The thought of having to lose 90 lbs is no small feat :#

Replies

• quintinmasonjr24
    quintinmasonjr24 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How about focusing on losing just 10 lbs for now. Or focus on being more active and making healthier choices. Don't focus on the mountain. Focus on the small steps you can take to climb that darn mountain. Good luck, be strong and don't be intimidated. A mountain and actually just be a hill.. It's all about how you see things.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. I'm 44 lbs into my 100 lb journey. Just take it one step at a time.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Small goals. As someone who's nearly 80 lbs down, it feels a lot better as you get closer to the bottom of the mountain than it does at the summit :)

Little hard work, little dedication, and a lot of logging and you'll be there in no time.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    It seems impossible and intimidating but I agree with all the above, small goals and take it one day at a time. Time goes by fast. You'll get there soon enough :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking at how far you have to go, look at how far you've come.

For example... Realistically, for me to hit my goal weight, I needed to lose 100 lbs when I first began. I still have 41 lbs to go. BUT I've lost 60... which is a seriously huge feat in itself.

Don't let 'small' losses go unnoticed. Any loss at all should be celebrated. Eventually it'll all add up to a pretty hefty sum.
  • fatmanlove
    fatmanlove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to lose 200lb because I am a mountain. I don't think about it the big number, I think about the small numbers that add up. 5lbs, 10lbs, 20lbs. Then I make small goals - 400lbs, 375lbs, 350lbs... All this while I'm dealing with a Thyroid that seems to only be working at 50% of what it should be so I'm stuck dealing with 1,600 calories. Is it a *kitten*? Yes. Am I going to do it? Yes. I have no choice anymore.

I've lost 100lbs on my own before I reset my counter. I've done this was a torn meniscus, a surgical hernia in my gut, tendinitis in my upper shoulder, and dealing with PTSD, depression, and anxiety. If I can march into a gym so can you.

You're good, just keep pounding away and watch your calories.
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Make small hills out of that mountain. :) Milestones- and don't forget to reward yourself. You got this!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    to lose 90 lbs of fat, you have to force your body to burn an extra 315,000 calories.
    it will take 1000 days at a daily deficit of 315 calories - which is actually pretty modest.
    those days are going to pass anyway - why not have met a goal at the end of them?
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Break it up in to smaller increments. For me it's 10 lb. increments. It's much easier than focusing on the big number. I remind myself that all this time will pass whether or not I am eating at a deficit, so why not do it and a year from now reap the rewards. It's better than being in the same place.
  • asmurf
    asmurf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Small daily changes = big results.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love the ten pound increment approach. Celebrate every achievement!
  • kclay1021
    kclay1021 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For real - I do believe in cutting it back to smaller more attainable goals. For example I used to reward myself every 3 or 4 pounds lost and that made it more do'able than saying I need to lose 30 pounds.
  • farmer50340
    farmer50340 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's tough to do. I am 88 pounds down on my journey to lose 130, so yes, I am 42 pounds from my goal, but I've already lost 2x that. Focus on one pound at a time.
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree with the previous advice - plus: Take pictures and measurements NOW! Note how you feel, now, doing things like climbing stairs, walking around the block, eating your typical dinner... Note how your clothes fit - How your body and joints feel as you go about your life...

Then, on your journey, you'll have real things to compare to, rather than just numbers on a scale!

When you start sleeping better, you'll know it for what it is: A nice reward for all the hard work you're doing.
    When you decide the fries or whatever are not worth the way they make your tummy feel, you'll know that that's part of your journey.
    When you surprise yourself by trotting up the stairs without thinking twice, you'll be able to recognize that as a real victory!

And it is a real victory. From the minute you decide you are worth making changes for, all of the things you do to move you to your goal -- That's all victory.

Own it!

• HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    The thought of having to lose 90 lbs is no small feat :#

Take it one day at a time and don't think about the total amount, otherwise it is going to be long!

Actually I try to think by week. This week, I'd like to do good, eat better, exercise a bit, drink my water... The ultimate goal is to be healthier and yes, ok, thinner but take it step by step.

Also, plan rewards for each 5 or 10kgs you lose! That'd be fun & motivating :)

Feel free to add me if you want/plan to interact a bit :)

Good luck!
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You can do it! This year, I have been focusing on increments of 5% of my body weight, which has been so helpful for me. I have the entire vision, but by concentrating on smaller pieces of the picture, it helps me to be realistic that this journey really is a marathon and not a sprint. It also allows me to celebrate the smaller battle victories that will eventually result in winning the war (which is a complete lifestyle change). Keep in mind that whatever you do to lose the weight is pretty much what you'll have to continue to do to keep it off. :smile:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Let's say it takes you three years to lose the weight. That seems like forever, right? Like why even bother? But the thing is - that day three years from now where you might hit your goal is going to show up right on time no matter what you have done between now and then. And on that day you might be able to look back and be proud of your efforts and accomplishments, or you might have to look back and wonder why you didn't start three years ago.
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Here is something i wrote on here awhile back.

Goals,
    How important in how they have helped me during this time.

From the beginning, 29 months ago when I began and looking at 132 pounds to lose, I sat in disgust and thought there was no way that I could lose that much weight. It was just to much to do. So at that time, I decided to break it down into small, obtainable goals. First was just making it through the first day, which I had my doubts that I could do, next, last a week, then anything else I could think of. Whether going down a size in clothes, getting from the 280's to the 270's etc, things that could be accomplished rather quickly and knew if I put a lot of those together, I would get to where I wanted to be, and it would be a positive experience. And these goals filled my days of positive things.
    One day I would lose some weight, another day, I would hit day 100 on my fitness pal, another day some pal would write how I inspired them or someone I knew would noticed I was losing weight, another I would walk more steps then ever in a day. The more that these things happened, the more motivated I got. I found myself, instead of grabbing that slice of pizza, thinking how I would rather lose that pound, knowing eating it maybe I would maybe only gain a pound, but also realizing it could maybe take a week of hard work to take it off. That is when I realized I can do this.
    The thing I hated most was going backwards. Even if was gaining only ½ of a pound. So here I am now, 130 pounds down and at my goal, being under 200, for the first time since high school, and I graduated in 1975. Sure a lot of you were not even born yet and at now reaching the 150's, reaching a healthy BMI after being morbidly obese, and reaching the goal I set out so long ago and proving to myself that I can do it. Was it easy, not all the time. Was it fun, not always but you just have to be determined that you do not want to feel embarrassed by going into a place to eat and being afraid you may not fit in the booth, or refusing to fly because fearing you may not fit in the seat. Or have people stare or laugh at you because of being so over weight. That was my motivation. Not ever to feel like that again. So now there is maintenance. I hear that maybe even harder, but think I have learned enough to be able to handle it.
    That is why I am staying on MFP. I know I need to be kept accountable, and not like so many others on here that I see reach their goal, leave and are back a year later, gaining everything they lost back, plus some. So just wanted to thank each of you, whether we have been friends months or days. I never thought I would have friends from all over the world including South Africa, Austrailia, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK to name a few, some that I speak to almost everyday.
    I can say for sure if it was not for MFP, Fitbit and all of you, there is no telling where I would be today. I assume over 300 pounds. if even alive, after having a stroke 5 years ago.
    Not knowing or caring anything about diets or nutrition, to now looking at labels on food and talking BMI. Who would have thought.
    Well best of all to each of you and feel free to contact me anytime if you are down or just would like to talk and do not worry if you have been on here years or 1 day, everyone is welcome. Just remember, we all started some place, just all at different times. To me the biggest day is day 1, the day you decide to change your life for the better, and not just for yourself, but for friends, families and loved ones as well.
    Best to you and anyone feel free to add me as a friend....
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    to lose 90 lbs of fat, you have to force your body to burn an extra 315,000 calories.
    it will take 1000 days at a daily deficit of 315 calories - which is actually pretty modest.
    those days are going to pass anyway - why not have met a goal at the end of them?
    I like this alot!

• Tarkusman
    Tarkusman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had lost 127 Lbs. about 4 years ago and unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to change my ways once I achieved the loss. Here I go again. I am in the midst of losing 100 Lbs. once again. The previous posts of narrowing the increments is my suggestion as well. The rewards come when you go to put on a pair of jeans or your favorite shirt and it is too big or you take a flight and don't have to worry about asking for the extension safety belt.

Keep focused on other things. I like to watch a movie, that kills 2 hours and takes your mind off of food and places it on the subject matter. Pull out your favorite album, CD or tape from years gone by and have a listen.
    Bottom Line: Stay dedicated, do not allow the thoughts of the old habits become strong enough to overcome your ambitions. Time will pass quickly and the weight will fall and your confidence will rise. Should the negative return, remember all of the work you have done so far, you don't want to undo it.

Now I have to remember to practice what I preach! Good luck my friend, you can and will do it!