I've been wasting my 2nd chance

Options
Morfein
Morfein Posts: 57 Member
Hello All!!!

I was in a bad car accident on Jan 3rd, 2010. Long story short. I was on life support for 6 weeks and in the hospital for a total of 2.5 months. I feel as though if I'm going to be honest here I have to tell everyone the accident was because I was drunk. Luckily, I did not hit anything but a bridge nor did I cause harm to another individual.

I am now a recovering alcoholic and have been sober since that day. I am blessed to have had that accident. I have a beautiful wife that stayed with me through very dark days (many leading up to the accident) and three beautiful children. I'm lucky to have a chance to give them a husband/father that they deserve, and not one living in a bottle.

So.... Here I am though. Wasting away my 2nd chance, as the subject says. I left the hospital probably weighing in at about 300 pounds, and now weigh 342. I now have type II diabetes, and in generally very poor health for a 34 year old man.

Just 4 years ago I ran a triathlon. I want to get back to that. Mostly for my health and to be a positive example for my children. I want to grow old and watch my kids live life. I want to be able to chase them in the backyard and not be out of air.

I want it bad enough now. I'm going to get it.

Thanks for listening to my ramble.

cornball76

Replies

• shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Congrats on finally being ready to take ownership of your life and your choices! Best of luck with your weight loss and with taking advantage of your second chance!
  • Pam37841
    Pam37841 Posts: 286
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and being so open and honest!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    You can do it! We can help! WELCOME
  • megrrt
    megrrt Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    you will enjoy this website.
    Welcome and good luck!
  • 5kforme
    5kforme Posts: 23
    Options
    Wow, what a journey you've had. You've overcome one addiction - you can do this! The people here are really great, and if you take ownership of your health, YOU CAN DO THIS! There's a reason that you survived your accident - you need to be here. Good luck and God bless!
  • love2bthin
    love2bthin Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We can do this together! If you want send me a friend request. This website is awesome. The friends and support on here is wonderful!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You should be very proud of giving up the bottle. A huge accomplishment that is alone. You can do the weight loss thing just as you have done giving up the drink. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • melissa289
    melissa289 Posts: 4
    Options
    I think you are off to a good start. I think you were very honest here which means you can be honest with yourself! Just remember it is a slow process with bumps in the road, so just take it slow and steady and you will see the results you are looking for!
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've taken the first of many steps heading in the right direction. Congratulations on your sobriety, maintaining the love and support of your family as well as wanting better for yourself. Seems like you know what you had, what you lost and what you wish to regain. Keep your focus clear and your family tight.

Best of luck to you on your journey. And welcome to MFP :smile:
  • mylife33
    mylife33 Posts: 72
    Options
    No day is ever wasted.........it's a learning experience! You can get back on track and stick to it this time! Especially being here with peole in the same boat! Come aboard and we can learn to paddle faster and harder to reach our goals! NEVER GIVE UP!
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    You can do it!! I've found when you want something bad enough there's no stopping you! :)
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm glad to see that you're looking back at what you did and choosing to make better choices. You'll find great support here for your efforts and applause for your achievements as you take it one step at a time.

Hope to see more of your posts.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've endured alot of problems in my life due to alcohol,... as yourself, and many others. Your not alone. We can't change the past but atleast we have control over the future. I don't drink the way i use to (before kids)... but i still drink occasionally and really need to quit all together. Trying to diet and drink on friday night is like eating oreo cookies while brushing your teeth eh?!~ LOL I wish you all the best and hope you reach your goals. Take care:smile:
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations on your sobriety and for being a man and owning up to it. I think it takes a strong will to overcome what you've done. Now it's time to move on. Quit beating up on yourself and start being positive. No negative self talk. You are here and that's what counts. As everyone has mentioned this is an excellent site. If you log in everyday you can do this. You can't expect yourself to run a triathlon right now, but you can start with short walks. That's what I had to do to overcome my back injury. I was so scared to do any kind of exercise for fear of re-injuring my back. So I started off walking. I was so sore and I didn't even walk far. But I kept at it every day and soon enough I was walking farther. Then slowly increased intensity and started working out with Biggest Loser DVD's. But it was all baby steps, but you first have to walk before you can run. You can do this. God spared your life for a reason. So now you have to take care of yourself and see what he has in store for you.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Cornball, you have my great respect for making such an important change in your life and focusing on the things that are truly important to you. MFP is a wonderful community and we're all here to help one another, so take every advantage of the tools and people here. Send me a friend request if you'd like another buddy to gladly share the road with you. Take care! (ohh, you also have my respect for choosing a great user name...) :happy:
  • Morfein
    Morfein Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the kind words and inspiration. I forgot to say if anyone feels like adding me to their friends please do so. I need some more accountability.

Thanks again,

Kevin
  • captmarko
    captmarko Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello Cornball and welcome to MFP. I know that you will reach your goal but the determination in your words. Good luck and I will be checking in from time to time. Make it a great day.