Fiber Intake

Options
What has been the best way for YOU to successfully get 25+ grams of fiber per day?

Replies

• silverbeam22
    silverbeam22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I really have no trouble; vegetables, whole grains, beans, fruit etc!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My fiber goal is set to 45g per day because I find it easier to stick to my calorie goal with a high fiber diet.

Fiber gourmet pasta, Bran Buds cereal, beans and flax meal are my biggest sources. The rest comes from vegetables, fruit and grains.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/40-high-fiber-foods-you-must-try.html

Coconut water and Coffee are also suprisingly high in potassium.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Most of the foods that I eat have at least 3 grams or more of fiber and I eat a Quest protein bar every day which is very high in fiber.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To eat a varied diet.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Fiber One cereal, fruits, veggies, legumes and nuts, my Tumaro wraps and deli flats for sandwiches: All of these help me get my fiber up there where I want it.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Quest bars.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I eat beans, mostly whole. As a woman I aim for 25 to 30g/day, more than that and I tend to get a bit bloated. Legumes are higher in calories, but loaded with nutrients including potassium, which I find to be my hardest target to hit. Just remember to increase fiber gradually to avoid any of those lower GI problems we all love so much.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, beans, fruits and veggies. Avocado is amazingly high and so are raspberries. I started eating high fiber at my doctor's recommendation and lowered my cholesterol dramatically in the past year. Not to mention how NORMAL my bowel movements are.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    Whole grains, beans, fruits and veggies. Avocado is amazingly high and so are raspberries. I started eating high fiber at my doctor's recommendation and lowered my cholesterol dramatically in the past year. Not to mention how NORMAL my bowel movements are.

Almost forgot, yes those raspberries are an awesome source! And lower in glycemic index and calories, little super food. Agreed with the bowel habits, another benefit, :-)
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What has been the best way for YOU to successfully get 25+ grams of fiber per day?

Check out my diary. I get upwards to 70gs per day on close to 4K calories. If I have the calories, that's 35gs - but normally when I eat 2K calories, I can still hit 40gs easy.

Fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds - I don't need a single grain to achieve a high fiber diet.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options

Check out my diary. I get upwards to 70gs per day on close to 4K calories. If I have the calories, that's 35gs - but normally when I eat 2K calories, I can still hit 40gs easy.

Fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds - I don't need a single grain to achieve a high fiber diet.

Except no one else on this planet eats like you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't find it challenging to get 25-30 mostly from veggies, fruits, and occasional beans and whole grains (like oatmeal). I'm considering trying to up it some and beans are the most useful source for that for me to try to add more regularly. I'm also interested in trying the pasta that's recommended above (haven't yet) and enjoy Quest bars from time to time. I get some from nuts, but it never seems to be that much (I assume because my servings are pretty small due to the calories involved). I've yet to bother with the various additions that seem to be just for fiber (like flax or chia seeds) not taste, although maybe some day if I am convinced there's a benefit to upping it radically for me. I tend to like getting it from foods I enjoy and would choose for other reasons.

Avocado did surprise me in how much fiber it had, and since I am always happy to have yet another excuse to eat avocado (which I love), that was a bonus.
  • NikkiRios
    NikkiRios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Berries, black beans, kombucha with chia seeds or Mamma Chia, avocado.