Question about abs

Options
My upper abs are getting bigger and show however, my lower abs just seem to stay the same. Not showing and I still have that pooch that I think every person hates because it is so hard to get rid of. Anyway, I have been doing a lot of lower core exercises three to four times a week for the past three months and I still only see that my uppers seem to get bigger and my lower is not changing much. So my question is, is it diet related, do tall think my form might be wrong and that's the reason why or what? I am at a lost

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Abs are a product of your overall bodyfat percentage. If you want your abs to show, you will have to lose more fat.

Spot reducing doesn't do much to help this. Do you strength train? If so, do you do compound lifts?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This...
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Abs are a product of your overall bodyfat percentage. If you want your abs to show, you will have to lose more fat.

Spot reducing doesn't do much to help this. Do you strength train? If so, do you do compound lifts?

and this...
    3bambi3 wrote: »

are pretty much all you need to know.
  • TSith
    TSith Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The key is eating almost 90% clean!! I mean prep and eat exactly the same things everyday! It's made me lose quickly and I can kind of see them coming through :) good luck!!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The key is eating almost 90% clean!! I mean prep and eat exactly the same things everyday! It's made me lose quickly and I can kind of see them coming through :) good luck!!!

This is false. This may have worked for you and kept you in a deficit, but it is far from the "key" for anyone.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Clean means next to nothing.

Abs are a result of reducing your body fat % to a point where you can see the muscles. You can achieve that through a calorie deficit, regardless of if you eat "clean." Yes, eating wholesome nutritious foods makes it easier to stick to a calorie deficit, but "clean" is nothing but a buzzword.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options

e76a2d26d01de12ee5b9e0cd03e773d57907fe4f12a10d1a4e1eb149f6ff7de2.jpg
  • mrswebster1
    mrswebster1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

e76a2d26d01de12ee5b9e0cd03e773d57907fe4f12a10d1a4e1eb149f6ff7de2.jpg

This is golden.
  • mrswebster1
    mrswebster1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read the article and the only thing that I am missing I think is more protein. I figured that was one of the reasons but I forgot to mention that I had my son in 2012 and went from 210lbs the day of delivery to 141 today so I have that little extra skin I the stomach area and have also followed all of the rules. Does that even matter?8fp6tta3i21x.jpg
    . I weigh my food all of the time and have meal preps in the fridge. This is me now,

• njf87
    njf87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you have muscle on your stomach but it's not defined enough. You will want to try and lower your body fat percentage. Maybe try and find out what your current body fat percentage is and work towards achieving 20% body fat

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/