Migraines!!!!

Options
how do you get your work out in when you have a migraine? Or during the migraine hang over? I'm really struggling with this!

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't. The Dr said to give walking a try as exercise was supposedly going to make it better, but it only made them worse for me. Sometimes I can hack a walk during the hangover as it generally doesn't make it worse, but it certainly doesn't make it better either.
  • RobLynSkinner
    RobLynSkinner Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I read an article saying a stationary bike was the way to go. I laughed through it. I have to figure something out. I've been on topamax for 2 months with only a few breakthrough migraines but I keep waiting for it to stop working like everything else and go back to 5 migraines a week. My migraines were better at a lower weight but I can't get there if I can't work out its so frustrating and people who don't deal with it don't understand ( and I would never wish this upon them for one second but I wish they could understand)
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I was on Topamax for years, the breakthrough ones were the worst, as the meds made you realize what pain-free looked like. I had to switch two years ago to gabapentin and I don't have as many breakthrough ones, and they generally are pretty mild when they do (only 2 or so really bad ones a year) but even so, I still don't exercise with them. I'd say give it a try, if it makes you feel like dying, then quit, but for chronic migraine sufferers like us, what have you got to lose, right?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't. Exercise can aggravate a migraine once you have one for some people, even if it's gentle exercise. Don't push it. I've tried. I've ended up regretting it.

If you have 5 a week, you should be on more than Topomax. Are you seeing a neurologist or just a GP?
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Would Tai Chi help? It's slow, gentle exercises.
  • RobLynSkinner
    Options
    5 a week was a bit of an exaggeration but yeah sometimes. I've had them for 20 years. Seen every doctor. Had every test. They just don't know why. Honestly I had the best results taking plain old Benadryl daily ( mayo clinic did a study on it) but after a while it quit working. Im doing good in topamax and sumatriptan for breakthroughs. My husband takes gambapatin for his back and it makes him a zombie. I'm a stay at home mom so I can't do that. I'm also on klonopin which has made a huge difference in my life. Figuring out I had a bipolar disorder and wasn't just depressed (celexa nearly killed me) was a pivotal moment in the migraine game for me too. I've switched doc's and in the 3 months I've been with him I've seen huge changes so maybe I'm on the right track.
  • daniellesfranklin828
    Options
    I've been on topomax daily, and imitrex and aleve for breakthrough. But when that doesn't work I take a benadrly as well. which helps better but i sleep for at least 12 hours. I can't work out either. I've tried. yoga, but when i get hot or over heated i start to get a migraine. My husband thinks that slow walking to build up my "endurance" will help. I'm not sure that will work i think it will just throw me into an other migraine. This week has not been good. I have to eat or my low blood sugar will cause a headache. If anyone or us come up with a solutions that would be great
  • RobLynSkinner
    Options
    I eat the worst foods when I have a migraine. I do at least try to walk a 1/2 mile. But I feel bad about it. That's my biggest thing. I'm so committed to losing weight this time that I feel bad when I don't work out and that's not good for my bipolar shizz. For the few times I do get a migraine anymore my husband just throws me in the truck after the 1st time I puke and I'm off the the local er for a shot of dillotted and a bag of fluids (they have orders from my doc on file). Then I go home and sleep. Then the next day I feel like I was hit by a bus (migraine hang over) and I feel horrible for abandoning my family since my one job is to take care of them. (See f'ing bipolar.)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    5 a week was a bit of an exaggeration but yeah sometimes. I've had them for 20 years. Seen every doctor. Had every test. They just don't know why. Honestly I had the best results taking plain old Benadryl daily ( mayo clinic did a study on it) but after a while it quit working. Im doing good in topamax and sumatriptan for breakthroughs. My husband takes gambapatin for his back and it makes him a zombie. I'm a stay at home mom so I can't do that. I'm also on klonopin which has made a huge difference in my life. Figuring out I had a bipolar disorder and wasn't just depressed (celexa nearly killed me) was a pivotal moment in the migraine game for me too. I've switched doc's and in the 3 months I've been with him I've seen huge changes so maybe I'm on the right track.

If you have 15 a month, you qualify for botox. It's life changing when you have chronic migraine.

There's not necessarily a "why" for getting them, so don't worry about them never finding a cause.