Need preparing for half-marathon!

Options
Well I am planning to do the rock n roll half marathon Labor Day weekend in virginia beach. And no ......I have never done any type of marathon before, I do walk alot and pretty long distances. The most was about 9 miles but that was at a relay for life celebration and I had all night to do it. :ohwell: Does anybody have any suggestions or websites that would be helpful to me because I want to finish the marathon and not have to call out for the next week afterwards because I cant move:laugh: Any advice would be good and I hope to be alot lighter on my feet before that time comes :tongue:

Replies

• ashcoy
    ashcoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exciting! I ran the Philadelphia Rock 'n Roll Half last September - definitely a great race series. Anyway, I'd check out active.com and runnersworld.com. I prefer active.com (go to the Endurance section, and click on Running) just because I feel like it offers a lot of info for newbies and intermediate runners, where runnersworld can seem a little intimidating.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    First, go get properly fitted for a pair of running shoes (even if you are walking) at a running store. Also buy moisture wicking socks at the store.

Find a training program and follow it. A couple of suggestions are Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway.

Start training now. My training program (Hal Higdon) already began for my half in August.
  • Gazzaway
    Gazzaway Posts: 13
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm

Have fun and here's to injury free training.

BG
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Walt Disney World Wine and Dine Half Marathon October 1st. I'm running a 5K in the morning and the half that night. I know you can follow different programs but I personally can't committ to any pacific plan. I run 3-4 times a week. I use the Nike Plus band. It helps me watch my pace and makes sure I get my distance in. I was running an easy 11 minute mile and after I mastered that time I pushed my pace by 30 seconds the next week. I usually average 9-10 minutes a mile but once I can get an average of 9 on a regular basis I'll be happy. I've heard the Rock n Roll races are a blast to run! With Nike Plus they have different programs and I picked the half to try to follow. Living in South Dakota plus my crazy life style I'm not able to stick with it as they'd like. Good luck with your race! It's all mental if you tell yourself you can do it you'll be able to do it! I told myself that like a broken record and it got me through the 5K, half, and full in January at WDW Marathon Weekend (it was my first half and full and did it in one weekend!)
  • dfoster48
    dfoster48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Rock & Roll Va Beach 1/2 Marathon is a fun race. I've run it every year for the last 6 years. It is a good race for your 1st 1/2 marathon.
  • bryony_pie
    bryony_pie Posts: 40
    Options
    Check out the literature by Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon. Pick up a copy of Jeff's "Half Marathon: You Can Do It!" book. His methodology and inspiration is the reason why I am able to run 30 miles a week - I never would have been able to do it without that book! Best of luck to you!!

Oh, and I completely agree with josavage - get some good high-quality running socks! Nothing is worse than blisters from bad socks!
  • Carrie_Dane
    Carrie_Dane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a walker and am signed up for the Rock 'n Roll in Seattle in June. I didn't start walking seriously until March so you still have plenty of time. What we did was start walking at least 6 miles a day trying to fit it in 5 days a week. There are weeks we would do 2 6 mile walks, 2 8 mile walks and then 2 10 mile walks. 13.1 isn't really that much further. Just for practice I have walked two 1/2's to see what it feels like and I was pleasantly surprised that I was just a little sore the next day but not bad. I walked them with 4 days in between and I walk very fast. Also we use runkeeper to track our miles. When you see your distance and speed it is easy to get in the walking mode.

Good luck, you can do it!

Feel free to hit me up anytime to talk about your walking from one walker to another.
    Carrie
  • tonykozak
    tonykozak Posts: 14
    Options
    my suggestion would be is to pick up a good magazine like runners world. they have article on programs and training plans for everything from 5k, 10k.1/2 qne and full marathons. i used one for 10k training
    and i was able to knock off over 2 minutes from my time last year to this year at the vancouver sun-run. the progams can be taylored to suit every level of fitness. just do gradual increases in milage and frequency. you need rest too.....dont want to get hurt. above all set realistic and achivable short and long term goals. good luck and train smart.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Well I am planning to do the rock n roll half marathon Labor Day weekend in virginia beach. And no ......I have never done any type of marathon before, I do walk alot and pretty long distances. The most was about 9 miles but that was at a relay for life celebration and I had all night to do it. :ohwell: Does anybody have any suggestions or websites that would be helpful to me because I want to finish the marathon and not have to call out for the next week afterwards because I cant move:laugh: Any advice would be good and I hope to be alot lighter on my feet before that time comes :tongue:

I've run multiple half mary's, and a couple of full (most recently as this past May 1st).

I always use the "Smart Coach" feature on runnersworld.com. You can punch in your stats, and it will generate you a training plan that will tell you how to bump up your miles, and how to taper off near the end... and depending on how hard you plan on training, it will incorporate speed training, rest days, cross training days, etc. It's a great tool!!

The other #1 tip I would give you... above all else... make sure to have your running shoes a full 1/2 size larger than you would normally wear!! Seriously... you will save yourself on blistered toes & bruised toenails after your race! I've been through this quite a few times, but have learned the lesson of wearing properly fitting running shoes! (Oh, yea, and thin... moisture wicking socks!) Your feet will thank you!!
  • ec2bfit
    ec2bfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You may want to consider a 12 Week program that would lead you up to the race. For 4 weeks run 4 times per week, running only 1 mile for speed + doing heavy upper body weight training, 3 sets of 8 reps for 3 x week to help carry your body better. After this phase, move into a 6 week phase where you train 5 times a week and think of using the speed you built up in the first 4 weeks going into this phase as you start to build up your endurance - 3 x wk do 6 miles, 2 x wk do 4 miles + keep upper body weights 3 x wk, but increase to 4 sets of 12 reps with increase pace in lift to build muscular endurance. Last, 2 weeks out from race, 5 workouts each week, run 3 x week for 8 miles, 2 x week for 6 miles + move your upper body weights to light, easy 4 sets of 25 rep, just for endurance. Definitely get good running shoes + only wear them for your workouts. You should have a strategy for how to work your carbs into your training as well... hope this helps
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Check out the literature by Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon. Pick up a copy of Jeff's "Half Marathon: You Can Do It!" book. His methodology and inspiration is the reason why I am able to run 30 miles a week - I never would have been able to do it without that book! Best of luck to you!!

Oh, and I completely agree with josavage - get some good high-quality running socks! Nothing is worse than blisters from bad socks!

Used this book for my first half marathon . Very good.
    Www.RunInjuryFree.com
    Walk early, walk often

:-)
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump