I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly dead

Options
And that's why I'm here! I've had a profile for a while, because I've been trying to lose weight for a long time... But I have no self control.
That's one reason among others as to why I'm deciding to do a "juice fast"...

I hope by the end of this journey that I learn how to love vegetables and healthy food. I hope this "resets" my mind to be more mindful of what I consume. I hope that challenging myself, will turn into long time motivation to keep pushing toward being more healthy and fit.
My goal is 30 days.
Today is day 1.

Nice to meet you all!

-Heather

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What is the plan after the juice fast?
  • heathermclellen956
    heathermclellen956 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    What is the plan after the juice fast?

I'm not going to just stop juicing, I still plan on juicing at least one of my meals and one snack. Definitely watch my sugar intake, and cut out processed food. I guess just eating whole foods.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat what you like while maintaining a moderate calorie deficit and meeting macro and fiber goals? Cleanses are BS and a waste of time and money.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    Why don't you eat what you like while maintaining a moderate calorie deficit and meeting macro and fiber goals? Cleanses are BS and a waste of time and money.

This. FS&ND is nothing but a drawn-out juicer commercial. Save your money and your colon and eat at a deficit.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Didn't their spokesperson In the "documentary" gain all the weight back?
  • heathermclellen956
    Options
    I, kindly, disagree.... I feel like I need the cleanse. I've seen what a juice fast can do for people and their health... I'm not doing the cleanse just to lose weight.

Counting macros works for me, and once in done with this, I'll go back to doing that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

this...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I, kindly, disagree.... I feel like I need the cleanse. I've seen what a juice fast can do for people and their health... I'm not doing the cleanse just to lose weight.

Counting macros works for me, and once in done with this, I'll go back to doing that.

There is no such thing as cleansing or detoxing. Your body does that naturally through your kidney and liver.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
  • ndj1979
    Options

what toxins is this cleanse going to remove that your liver and kidneys do not?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    K, just went and got myself edu-ma-cated. Joe Cross was about 240 pounds in 2013. I don't know how much he weighs now.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you really want to juice we aren't going to stop you, however I would search the other threads about this. Juicing eliminates some of the most beneficial parts of the fruits/vegetables. A Nutribullet or Ninja would be better options IMO. Sorry but most people watch this documentary, go all gungho for a few days then the weekend hits or a party pops up and they fall off the wagon. If you are going to juice just skip the juicer and eat whole foods you would be extracting any way. If you plan to avoid sugar or processed foods do it now. Ultimately you will have to do this anyway so why not start now.
  • heathermclellen956
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I know that one of the guys in the documentary did, but he admitted to going back to eating junk food and fast food and stopped dieting/ eating healthy.
    Which has never been my lifestyle. I'm a decently healthy person. I go to the gym, I eat good foods, I just have an enormous sweet tooth.

This isn't about the weight loss for me... This is really about healing my body and feeding it the right stuff.
    Maybe 30 days is too long, but... I'm doing it.

This is a place for support right?
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Then why not just do that then, instead of the juice fasting? Don't you think you will probably stick to your macros better for 30 days better instead of juicing? And doesn't real food sound better than just juicing?

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 50 pounds in 5 months and havent had one single juice or shake.

eat less. move more. bam.
  • heathermclellen956
    Options

There is no such thing as cleansing or detoxing. Your body does that naturally through your kidney and liver.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses

I know this.
    I get this isn't for everyone.

And it's not so much about juicing either, because I'll also be using my nutribullet.

Thanks guys!
  • heathermclellen956
    Options
    ive lost 50 pounds in 5 months and havent had one single juice or shake.

eat less. move more. bam.

Wow that's great! Good job. :)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I know it sounds like people are trying to derail your first day. If you are set on supplementing one meal a day, can I recommend a protein shake instead? It will keep you full longer and provide you with enormous benefits of protein. Not sure what you are putting in the juice but it's probably high calorie/high sugar and will just spike your insulin levels (and you will still be hungry)
    I agree with what everyone said about just eat at a modest calorie deficit/hitting macros. I know you will not agree to this since your mind is made up but if I were going to supplement a meal, it would be a protein shake
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If something sounds hinky I'm going to say something. Wouldn't it be worse to invest months of your life for nothing? I'd like to save you that pain if I could. But hey, it's thirty days. See how you do.

I like MFP discussions for their healthy dose of skepticism, their love of science and the truths it gives us, and a consistent chronicling of what really works.

Eating at a deficit is what works. After your cleanse, come back and learn how.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I know that one of the guys in the documentary did, but he admitted to going back to eating junk food and fast food and stopped dieting/ eating healthy.
    Which has never been my lifestyle. I'm a decently healthy person. I go to the gym, I eat good foods, I just have an enormous sweet tooth.

This isn't about the weight loss for me... This is really about healing my body and feeding it the right stuff.

sorry, we are not going to blindly support pseudoscience.

You gained weight because you ate too much, plain and simple. A juice cleanse has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Sure, but you're going to have a hard time getting support when you choose to do something completely unnecessary like a juice fast. Detoxing is why we have kidneys and a liver. We don't need to live on juice for 30 days to "reset" or "cleanse" anything.