Summer Meals

Options
halphord
halphord Posts: 379 Member
I'd really like to find some light, healthy and FILLING summer meals...I'd love to see your recipes! So, if you feel like sharing, please do! Thanks! :)

Replies

• nurse_carolyn
    nurse_carolyn Posts: 348
    Options
    One thing that I like to do (esp in the summer) is to eat alot of salads. But they really are time consuming to make. I have this huge salad bowl and I will prepare about 3-4 heads of lettuce and all of the toppings (carrots, peppers, cuc's, etc) that go along with it. If you seal up the lid tightly it will stay for at least 5 days and you can just pull out what you need for that meal.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Vegetable Pasta

-1/4 cup olive oil
    -2 med eggplants cut in to 1 inch chunks (i use squash when i can't find eggplant)
    -ground black pepper
    -1 lb. whole wheat pasta (i use rotini)
    -3 med. tomatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
    -2 teaspoons thinly sliced garlic
    -1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    -chopped fresh basil

Boil water for pasta. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add eggplant, sprinkle with pepper. Cook about 15 min. Cook pasta. Add tomatoes and garlic to eggplant and cook 10 min. Drain pasta and toss with veggies. Add cheese and basil to top (i toss it all together)

around 450 calories per serving (serving is about 2 cups) and only 210 mg sodium!!!!
  • fatmama4
    fatmama4 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One thing that I like to do (esp in the summer) is to eat alot of salads. But they really are time consuming to make. I have this huge salad bowl and I will prepare about 3-4 heads of lettuce and all of the toppings (carrots, peppers, cuc's, etc) that go along with it. If you seal up the lid tightly it will stay for at least 5 days and you can just pull out what you need for that meal.

This is a great Idea!!! We also do the same thing with fruit salads, make enough for a week and portion them out.
  • bryony_pie
    bryony_pie Posts: 40
    Options
    One of my favorite summer dishes is a modified "fajita" - grill up a package of chicken breast tenderloins (i use a nonstick pan if i don't have access to a grill), and in another pan, saute sliced yellow pepper, red pepper, green pepper, and a red onion. when everything is cooked, split the chicken and the pepper/onion mixture into eighths, and plunk two servings onto two low-carb whole wheat wraps with some salsa, roll up and enjoy! For two wraps, it is about 275 calories, is filling and delicious!
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I would love some new ideas also:)
  • paige_mom
    paige_mom Posts: 13
    Options
    bump

I am just starting a new compliation of healthy meals I LIKE....so bring on the recipes. :-)
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I need more ideas too....
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit salad and cottage cheese is one of my favorite summer time meals.

I also love shrimp. I will boil up a bag or two of frozen shrimp and then portion it out in zip lock bags. Throw it on a salad along with a small amount of pasta. YUM
  • emilybrittain
    Options
    I make an avocado salad with the following between 2:

1/2 avocado
    1 large beef tomato/large handful of cherry tomatos
    small red onion
    cider vingegar
    Salt and pepper

Dice it up and mix togther - you can then have this with grilled chicken breast or a fillet of fish. With a normal size chicken breat (125g) it comes in at about 350 calories and is filling. You could always bulk out the salad with lettuce and other salad items!
  • bhawkins0617
    bhawkins0617 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My favortie summer meal comes mostly from the garden.

Saute a diced summer squash, zucchini, onion, and a few cloves of garlic in a little olive oil till fork tender.

Add large can of crushed tomatoes and let simmer a bit.

Season with plenty of fresh chopped basil and a little salt.

Serve over spaghetti squash or pasta of choice. Delish!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Add cooked quinoa to cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, olives and a small amount of feta cheese. Mix with a little Greek dressing. This is an addicting meal, but the best part is that it's loaded with veggies and great protein from the quinoa.
  • halphord
    Options
    Add cooked quinoa to cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, olives and a small amount of feta cheese. Mix with a little Greek dressing. This is an addicting meal, but the best part is that it's loaded with veggies and great protein from the quinoa.

Thanks! I am looking forward to this one! :)
  • halphord
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These all sound great. I am planning on spending a lot of time at the farmers market this summer, rather than the grocery store! :)
  • leslieanna15
    Options
    bump
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I agree with the quinoa- it's delicious. I make a similar one to the above, but I also make one with a little green pesto, some chopped up chicken breast and serve it in salad leaf 'cups'.

Stuffed peppers- stuffed with cous cous, or rice, or quinoa, or roasted veggies.

Grilled chicken or prawns marinated in spices served with toasted pitta bread, roasted peppers/onions/zucchini/eggplant with a herby yoghurt dip.

Tortilla pizzas- topped with tomato sauce, low fat cheese and a load of veggies.

Pasta salads- use a little pasta and bulk out with veggies and low cal protein.

Stir fries- lean meats/ prawns with loads of oriental style veg and teryaki sauce/ home made low cal marinade. served with rice vermicelli

Gazpacho- or other chilled soups.