Not eating back exercise calories

Options
IPMM
IPMM Posts: 4 Member
I was just wondering if its ok to not eat back calories that you burned while exercising? I have been doing this for almost two weeks. I am not certain if this is healthy, but I am not hungry and I feel normal. I drink plenty of water, actually that is all I drink with a lemon. I eat three small meals and two snacks a day. I have not been logging my exercise because I want to see what happens if I don't eat back exercise calories.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're set to 1200 or another small amount, you'll probably want to eat them back so you can fuel your body. You'll lose faster, of course, but a lot of that loss could be muscle, especially if you don't have much to lose.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Well it can depend on a few factors MFP calculations are designed so that you eat those calories back as a deficit is already built into the base number. There can be a number of errors from inaccurate food logging and over estimated calorie burns. Also if your base level is only 1200 calories with that plus exercise you are technically eating less than 1200 NET calories which long term isn't good and hard to have sufficient nutrition. I would always suggest people eat back at least 50% of those calories. In reality it shouldn't be that difficult because you put on weight eating at a surplus. Just add some more calorie dense foods into your diet.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as your calorie deficit doesn't go over 1000, I don't see reason for concern. But if you're burning large amounts of calories during exercise, you need to replace them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP uses NEAT method so yes you should be eating some of them back. If for nothing else to fuel the next workout.

• IPMM
    IPMM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Very Helpful!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    what's your exercise like? a big part of being healthy and fit is knowing how to fuel your body. exercise is very good for you, but it's also a stress on the body and needs energy (calories) and nutrients for repair and recovery.

The more intense your exercise is, the greater stress is put on the body = body needs more nutrition. For example, I wouldn't really worry too much about going for a walk and not eating back calories...a 25 mile+ bike ride would be another matter.

learning to fuel your fitness is important...you will notice that fit and healthy people do actually eat....
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    what's your exercise like? a big part of being healthy and fit is knowing how to fuel your body. exercise is very good for you, but it's also a stress on the body and needs energy (calories) and nutrients for repair and recovery.

The more intense your exercise is, the greater stress is put on the body = body needs more nutrition. For example, I wouldn't really worry too much about going for a walk and not eating back calories...a 25 mile+ bike ride would be another matter.

learning to fuel your fitness is important...you will notice that fit and healthy people do actually eat....

Exactly! I exercise daily - running, swimming, yoga, walking, strength training, biking...I never eat ALL of my calories back, as I am losing right now. If I am under about 1000 calorie burn for the day, I don't eat anything back. Over 1000, I usually eat back 200-300 calories. I fuel before, during , and after my workouts differently for each one. For example: Yoga - I don't need anything for. But a long run or a hard swim lap session, I need more fuel/energy.