Does everyone else's scale fluctuate this much?

Options
EMc4452
EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
I am currently at a pretty good weight. Like many people, I am having the hardest time losing the "last 10 pounds". The scale moves so slow these days its hard to get a good reading of where my weight actually is. For example, I weighed myself Thursday and I was 139.8. Today I get up and weigh myself and I'm 143? My net calories this weekend were over by about 700 calories but yesturday I was under by 700 to try to catch up. Rule of thumb is around 3500 calories per pound...so this weight gain would mean I ate an extra 10,500 calories! I didnt even consume that many calories in the 3 days between weigh-ins? Im just frustrated with this fluctuation and dont know what my real weight is. When its down to 10 lbs to lose there is a big difference between 3 lb fluctuations. Does anyone else have this same problem?

Replies

• codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    How has your sodium been? You might just been holding water. Up your water intake and things should even out
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I experienced this for the first time recently. I gained 5 pounds within a few days ... or so my scale said. Actually, I think it was right.. I had really slacked off drinking water and when I ramped that back up .. I quickly dropped the 5 pounds plus 1.8 more .. strange how your body works!
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    My weight can change terribly around 'that time of the month' Last month exactly 1 week till I was due on I gained 5lbs over night :-(

Its very annoying !
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yes,
    Generally I have these issues when I have either worked out strength training very hard and my muscles are retaining water to facilitate repair OR I had a very high sodium day and I am retaining water due to this.
    One high sodium day can have me gaining about 4 pounds in water weight and taking about 3 days for my body to recover (ie.. I had a mexican dinner on Saturday night, gained 4 pounds and didn't get back down to where I was Saturday morning until this morning). I DIDN'T work out on Sunday, just watched food intake and did my normal workouts yesterday.

Oh, and the week prior to my moon-time, I can gain as much as 5 pounds in water weight that then subsides by the third or fourth day of my period.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your sodium and increase your water intake. It might take a couple days to get back down, but it will.
  • EMc4452
    Options
    I didnt drink as much water as I normally do this past weekend...that could be the reason i geuss.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself often, because I don't think the kind of paranoia that comes with micro-managing weight is healthy, but I do try to weigh myself every 2 weeks at the moment.

I have been totally stuck at 140 unable to lose the last 10 lbs for ages, though, so I understand your frustration.
  • anwendy
    anwendy Posts: 17
    Options
    Wow you sound just like me! I am fluctuating between 137 and about 140...but I've bounced up to 142. I really think it all has to do with water weight. I gave myself the weekend off since I had friends in town, and I know I had way more alchohol than I usually do, plus just worse food in general, and I was up over 140 yesterday. Today I'm back down to 138.5. But, everything still fits, so I'm chalking it up to water weight. These last 10 lbs seriously are SO HARD. I've been bouncing around the same weight for a month...can't seem to jumpstart the last 10!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My scales lie or exaggerate at times too.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yes, and for me it's most likely water weight fluctuation from changes in sodium intake, weight training, or hormonal fluctuations.

In your case, you are correct that it cannot be actual fat gain since you've not overeaten. You may want to consider adding another metric, like measuring or clothing fit, and focus less on scale weight since you are so close to your goal.
  • dysears
    dysears Posts: 6
    Options
    Remember that you true weight is in the morning before breakfast. My weight has flucated 5-6 lbs difference from morning to evening. Try not to be obsessed with the scale (like I was) and only weigh yourself one time per week. I was driving myself insane trying to determine what the problem is. Also, are you taking any medications? That can also flucate your number until your system adjust (this is what I am I currently facing)
  • deema79
    deema79 Posts: 108
    Options
    You may not want to hear this but the scale is OUR enemy! Your weight fluctuates ALL day long.
    Youre really close to your goal weight so I would suggest you dont weigh in so often. I personally weigh in once a month. I dont rely on the scale to give me results or really define my progress. I have purchased an Omron Fat Loss monitor and am now checking my Body Fat.
  • Beckyvance
    Beckyvance Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm the same way!! My weight can easily fluctuate 3-5 pounds DAILY!! AND, while the water thing is so very true...and most times is 100% the case...I have also learned as of late that our digestive tract can hold up to 25 pounds of weight!!! Incredible I know!!! So...perhaps something like a cleanse would help out...there are so many out there not...some very restrictive, but some are very reasonable!! I just started using shakeology in hopes to help with regularity (and overall health)...in other words regularity also could definitely be a cause for weight retention. :)
  • moonlightxtina
    Options
    You can't believe how much. I went to the nurse twice in 4 days.1st reading 65.5kg 2nd reading 69.4. It was EXTREMELY frustrating given that I started dieting on 69kg. It seams if you drink water and sweat (exercise seems to help too) you'll go back to expected weight. And of course no more coffee/black tea for you.
  • ericcalaniz
    ericcalaniz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Everyone's weight will fluctuate from day to day, depending on your sodium intake, and generally how much food you eat. The only way for you to lose weight is to expel waste (and you can lose a little bit by sweating) so even if you ate like a perfect angel the day before and you haven't gone to the bathroom yet that day, you'll obviously weigh a little more than if your tank were "empty", so to say. Don't sweat the small fluctuations. I've lost 6 pounds over the last 2 months (while making gains in the weight room) and I've seen daily fluctuations of as much as 5 lbs. As long as your weight has a general downward trend, you're doing well!
  • EMc4452
    Options
    Well its good to know others are having the same issue. I know I shouldnt weigh myself this often. I try to only weigh in 1-2 times/week. Im going to try to go to once every 2 weeks. As long as Im still eating and exercising I shouldnt care about the number. But now I will be paranoid about if Im back down below 140 or not! Soooo frustrating sometimes.
  • elizabeth36
    Options
    I don't have any advise, but I am in the exact same spot as you. I fluctuate from 142 to 138 and have been gaining and losing the last two months I have been doing MFP. I still need to lose my last 10 lbs of post baby weight (12 month old). It is so frustrating!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    So many things can make your scales fluctuate. To much sodium, extra water retention from a good workout or something else:smile:, needing to use the restroom, digital scales battery low, etc... You could add a little more cardio and be sure to eat more calories as you get closer to your goal, so you can see the scales start moving again. I know eating more sounds like it would have the opposite effect, but it doesn't. Just choose healthy calories and not a bunch of junk.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    I am on the other end of this. My damn scale (a digital BMI reading) does not vary by even .2 lbs for days and then I lose 1.2 lbs overnight.
  • AJelinski
    AJelinski Posts: 36
    Options
    This morning, and I weigh myself every morning at approximately the same time, I weighed in at over three pounds less than yesterday morning. I weighed four times and it the readout was the same. So I waited about 15 minutes and got back on, dressed this time, and it was 1.6 pounds less than yesterday morning. I know I could not lose over three pounds overnight, and I'm pretty sure I can't lose 1.6 pounds overnight either. Something must be up with my scale...