Goooaaalll ! And it all started with an app..before and after pics showing that CICO really works.

Options
LyndaLee68
LyndaLee68 Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
On July 5th, 2014, a friend shared her weightloss victory on Facebook. Being that I'd never attempted any diet or fitness plan in my life (my thought being "I'm not going to start something I know I won't succeed at, I can't eat low calorie bad tasting food forever, and I'm going to eat socially and not feel awkward or resentful."), I was almost afraid to ask why she was successful this time, when the other times over the years she had yo-yo'd and been unhappy. Wanting to keep my thought of actually doing something to change where I was, I inboxed her with the question, "what's been working for you, how has it worked all year long, and why do you sound so positive and happy this time?". While I waited to hear back, I told myself that "if she says weightwatchers I'm out, if she says shakes and bars I'm out, if she says surgery I'm out, if she says prepackaged diet means I'm out". Her response; "I use MyFitnessPal... it's just calories in, calories out". Huh? That's it??? What?? Where's the catch? I waited for the rest, but nothing else came up from her... then a link to the app. UGH ! Come on! There's got to be more to it, right?? We talked/typed a little more, and she made it sound so doable. So possible.
So, on July 6th I decided to give it a go. My second and last child would be leaving for college in 3 weeks (and being a scholar athlete she was given a regiment to be working out all summer), and I knew that my calendar, my job as a parent, my freetime, and my focus would be changing. I knew that my husband would most likely be crying into his beer and food (he's a tenderhearted dad that totally lost it when our son left for college -- I could only imagine what would happen when his baby girl left), while I would be doing my usual fast-food runs when I needed to get out of the house, and not have to cook for anyone anymore... just feed myself my favorite comfort foods. As a Pre-K director/teacher, I would be returning to work in August, and already know all of the best drive thrus on my 45 minute commute. It was tempting... and the timing seemed perfect.... it was now or never.
A week later I was down 3 pounds. Hmmm.. this thing may actually work. 2 weeks more and more pounds. Hey... I still get to eat at In N Out Burger! Hey, if I walk 3 miles this morning I can have an Original Tommy's chili burger with my kids and still succeed ! Hey, we went out to dinner with friends and I didn't have to order the obvious "i'm trying to loose weight, so I'll just have the salad.... (now give me the obligatory "good for you" speech, while I sulk and suffer while you have what I really wanted to order).
Now, after about 43 weeks of balanced eating, walking (then jogging, then a mud run!), introducing myself to the gym, and consciencely thinking about what, where, and how I'm eating, I have reached my goal weight. And the best part is... IT WASN'T HORRIBLE ! It was actually not as bad as I thought it would be.
When I look at the charts and graphs, I'm reminded that I maintained weight during the holidays, lost weight when I was having a routine week or month, and exercised regularly.
I am pleased with myself.. and my kids are proud of me, which is the greatest feeling ever. I now carry enough info in my brain to know what I should eat less of, and to figure out how many steps I've taken in a day, and that if I go over by 300 calories 2 or 3 times during the week, I know what to expect to see on the scale and be shocked. I have maintained my goal weight for 3 weeks now.. and I know what I need to do if I want to see changes. I feel good, and I enjoy shopping again... and I'm content with my health and weight, but know just what to do when or if things go awry. It's all good. Starting weight 258. Goal weight 175. Total weight loss 83pounds.
And it all started with a friend and an App.
fg97wykaacy4.jpg
ecqucmrkkekx.jpg
07851v92e331.jpg
xn8032xwm5l5.jpg
8dlcngkp3xmp.jpg

Replies

• LyndaLee68
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oops... forgot to mention the numbers. Starting weight 258. Goal weight 175. Total weight loss 83 pounds. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Platoon, attention! Motivational check!
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    there is no way you are 47. lies. congratulations on your success!!
  • LyndaLee68
    Options
    there is no way you are 47. lies. congratulations on your success!!
    Hahah.. thanks !!

• praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Gr8 going congrats
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    That's amazing. What a great story. I'm about 6lbs of my final goal and also 47. I look forward to sharing my success some day soon.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! I love your story- so motivational.
  • tim_w13
    tim_w13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Nice one. U look amazing
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You look so much younger- really beautiful!
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! You look amazing...and so much younger than what you say you are. :)
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What a great story! You look beautiful
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. Stories like these are so encouraging!!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Love!

Great job!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    ok now im the one asking for a like button ASAP!! :# do you know how amazing you look?!!
  • LyndaLee68
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    ok now im the one asking for a like button ASAP!! :# do you know how amazing you look?!!
    Thanks so much for your kinds words everyone. Feels good inside, and it is truly appreciated.
    I've been eating too much and not putting in as much exercise with my kids home from college, but plan to be back on my routine once they leave again (and they've made me promise to keep it up). I'm sure all the moms out there can relate -- sometimes it's hard to focus on what YOU need to do, when you are busy focusing on what your kids need, and especially just enjoying the moments with them.. including what they're eating. :)
  • alicia89ruiz
    alicia89ruiz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That's amazing! Seriously! I am trying to get the motivation to do this, and I think I may have just found it in you. Is this really all you did? I have tried EVERYTHING except surgery (which is NOT an option) and I have failed over and over and over. I have a gym membership which I have had on hold for a year bc I never go, but I need to change. I am 26 years old and I weigh 220 maybe 225 lately I haven't checked. I am 5'11 and my goal weight would ideally be about 175.