Macros

Options
Hey just wondering what you've all set your macros at? I'm a bit lost as to what to set mine to :( I am a female, 21 and trying to build muscle and tone (I'm slightly underweight atm) so I'm not sure how much protein, carbs and fat would help me with my goal? Any pointers? Thanks! Also feel free to add me haha I have no friends on here :(

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    to build muscle you need a calorie surplus... to 'tone' or lose bodyfat, you need a calorie deficit... or do recomp at maintenance...
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein macro to about 40%. Go easy on the carbs apart from post workout which is when you will need to restore glycogen levels. Good fats first thing promote metabolism for the day so have a higher fat breakfast, focus on proteins throughout day with carbs from salads/green veg, higher carb intake post workout.

As a very rough estimate from your post I'd say 40 protein 30 fat 30 carbs.

A weight training program of moderate weight with moderate sets/reps i.e. 4 sets of 10 will help you to build some muscle. Weight training is also good for keeping metabolism firing as your body recovers but protein is essential to recover so make that your highest macro.

Hope that helps.

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - to build muscle you need a decent amount of carbs as well as protein. Too much protein tends to be wasted as far as Ive read. Of course, the internet is loaded with studies that refute other studies that then refute other studies, blah, blah. :( Active people NEED carbs and usually need more than prescribed by the "bro-science" majors, LOL. I recently kicked up my carb intake and have added a little mass and feel better too. I have better workouts and best of all I dont have to drive myself crazy trying to stay under some arbitrary carb count number. I feel "out of jail" so to speak. :)

Id suggest the following macro breakdown: 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. This assumes you hit the weights fairly hard and also stay active on non-lifting days. It does NOT assume heavy cardio sessions but does expect that you'll add in some walking or other low-impact cardio here and there.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First of all percentages can be potentially off a bit without us knowing your intended energy intake or your stats.

Given that you are slightly underweight, you'll generally want to eat enough calories to very slowly gain weight. So with that being said you should see body weight trend upwards (~1-2lbs/month covers most females) and you'll therefore need to be eating an excess of calories to accomplish that.

There's a few different ways you can do this. One would be to just take your current tracking data (if it exists) and start increasing calorie intake until you start gaining weight, monitor the trend and adjust intake as needed to keep you in the previously mentioned weight gain target.

If you don't have data or it's not accurate you could start by estimating maintenance intake using a range of 14-16 cals/lb bodyweight as a quick and dirty approach. Start eating at that intake for two weeks and monitor changes in bodyweight. Weigh daily if it doesn't cause you any mental stress and take an average of those weights to establish a weekly average and compare those averages to see what your weight is doing.

As far as macronutrients go I'd put protein to about .8g/lb bodyweight and fat anywhere around 20 to 30% of total calories or about .4-.5g/lb bodyweight. I'd then put the rest of your available calories into carbohydrate and from there you can adjust as needed, with most of that adjustment likely coming from adding or removing carbohydrate to meet calorie needs as you adjust things. You can also swap fats for carbs to meet preferences.

I disagree with the idea that you should eat your fats in the AM or that you should only have your carbs after your workout. In fact this could be detrimental because you're chasing after largely hypothetical minutia that isn't likely to pan out to anything significant over the long run. 95% of your results are going to come from the combination of training and total nutrient intake.

How you time those nutrients could have a small effect but total intake and adherence are massively more important.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm working on a recomp, I eat at maintenance and set my macros at 30P-30F-40C.
  • xXSarahPrincessXx
    xXSarahPrincessXx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I'm working on a recomp, I eat at maintenance and set my macros at 30P-30F-40C.
    When you say recomp, is that burning fat while building muscle?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @xXSarahPrincessXx That's the idea. I didn't want to bulk, which involves eating more calories than you burn bc with that, you will gain fat along with the muscle. With recomp, it's a slower process, but you don't put any fat on. You find what maintenance is for you, and eat that daily while lifting. I do 6 days. 3 upper body, 3 legs. 20 min of cardio before each lifting session.
  • PoleDani
    PoleDani Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys they've been very helpful :)