is my hrm right ?

Options
hi. just got new hrm its a timex one with chest strap so thought i just give a try so here are result from 45mins intensive cleaning,
45min
average bpm 103
peak 139
kals 319

it just seems a lot of kals burn in little time can some one pls tell me if this correct because mfp is way lower,
thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• Jacob81
    Jacob81 Posts: 2
    Options
    seems reasonable.. Youd burn a similar amount out walking!!
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Did you set your age, weight and height ect in the HRM settings as that has a bearing on the calories. It doesn't sound too high.
  • missxena
    missxena Posts: 70
    Options
    hi, yes i did all settings on it ,big difference than on mfp data , thanks guys :wink:
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex as well and I think it over does it sometimes. Example : Yesterday the treadmill read out 340 and it read out 650 (almost twice as much).
    Although I peaked at 187 and averaged like 140. I think I really dont remember. Those numbers are close tho.
    When I do 30 Day Shred I get a much larger number than other ppl post.
    Yesterday I went with the treadmill readout. On other stuff I subtract calories.
  • missxena
    missxena Posts: 70
    Options
    I have a Timex as well and I think it over does it sometimes. Example : Yesterday the treadmill read out 340 and it read out 650 (almost twice as much).
    Although I peaked at 187 and averaged like 140. I think I really dont remember. Those numbers are close tho.
    Yesterday I went with the treadmill readout. On other stuff I subtract calories.
    this is why i am wondering if its working properly i also wore it yesterday for 6hrs just doing general stuff like cleaning,going to town to run errands normal every day stuff and said i burned 2226 kals ? in 6hrs ? i think i will try leslie walk 5 mile tomorrow and see what burn that is. my treadmill says different to mfp data, would love it accurate :tongue:
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    this is why i am wondering if its working properly i also wore it yesterday for 6hrs just doing general stuff like cleaning,going to town to run errands normal every day stuff and said i burned 2226 kals ? in 6hrs ? i think i will try leslie walk 5 mile tomorrow and see what burn that is. my treadmill says different to mfp data, would love it accurate :tongue:

2226 calories for 6 hours of errands sounds really off. I use BodyMedia Fit, so I have my calories logged 24/7 - on a regular day (no extra workouts) I burn 2400-2600 for the whole day - that's 24 hours, including sleeping time. Unless your six hour time frame included a long hard workout, then I'd say your HRM is really really off the mark.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    You cannot wear a HRM to measure your calorie expenditure when not exercising. They are designed to determine your caloric burn when your heart rate is elevated.
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Today i got a treadmill that talked with my monitor, which basically means the treadmill was reading my heart rate constantly. The treadmill read a slightly higher number than usually and the HRM was still almost double the reading. Don't think it is returnable. Guess next time i will spend the extra 20 bucks for a polar.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Today i got a treadmill that talked with my monitor, which basically means the treadmill was reading my heart rate constantly. The treadmill read a slightly higher number than usually and the HRM was still almost double the reading. Don't think it is returnable. Guess next time i will spend the extra 20 bucks for a polar.

ya you should have bought a polar....lol just kidding, but they are awesome

most treadmills base the calories burned off of your speed and incline because even if you don't enter your weight or even check your heart rate it will show a calorie burn so i never trust those numbers.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

It depends on where you bought it.. I was able to return my timex to best buy with no questions asked... and yes, def. go with Polar! Thats what I got and I love it!