I'm back and I'm starting slow.

Options
Hello all. I'm back and I need motivation. I'm 23 and I've been at this loosing weight game for almost all my life. I don't have motivation for it because I was never supported or encouraged; I was shamed and humiliated. Now I want to lose weight for me, but I can't find that itch that I have like I do for school. I would drop everything for school, even eating and sleeping, but somehow I can't find the love to work out of get healthy for me....to love me. I need tips on how to stay motivated because I feel really lost right now. 3sbih4hjbgxu.jpg

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If you dont do something - you will only get bigger and bigger.

That was always motivation enough for me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I remember my dad was really mean to me when I tried to lose weight as a teenager, so I know a bit of what's that like.

As far as motivation: If you can accept that you're not always going to feel motivated, you will have won a huge victory out of the gate. I can't tell you how many times I went to the gym when I didn't feel like it, or skipped a snack or a treat that everyone else was eating when I really wanted it, because I didn't have the calories for it.

The bottom line, losing the weight will take making the right choices over and over and over and over and over and over and...well, you get my point. It takes making the right choices, no matter how you feel.

Will you fail sometimes? Sure. But that's part of the process, too.

ETA: Feel free to send me a friend request, we can do this together!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When you are the best you you can be, you will be happy and have more energy for the school you love. Just start logging your food, making better choices in what you eat, move more and watch the change happen. If you want it to happen, you have to make it happen. You have to love yourself and when you take good care of yourself, you will feel a lot better.
  • justdo17
    justdo17 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ~A tip from me (who is never motivated) is to just walk as a work out for about 30-60 min everyday, which is not bad! It keeps me motivated to keep pushing myself, plus you lose lots of calories from it!!! If you would like add me as a buddy to keep eachother motivated!~:) you are a very beautiful girl! Dont be humiliated about yourself
  • LadyChristinaNY
    LadyChristinaNY Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    To start tell yourself you will start again because you love yourself.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I will tell you this.. I am now 27 and every ounce of me wishes I had done this sooner. I was unhappy at 23 and 27 and now I am just getting ahold of myself and I am on the right track. You can totally do this. You are worth it. Don't wait. <3
  • DanniB423
    Options
    PS you are totally beautiful as you are. Weight loss will only be a bonus for health and clothes shopping :)
  • DanniB423
    Options
    I also like "a year from now you'll wish you started today". Those things motivate me.
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you need some motivation and you are an academic, consider that walking while listening to audio books or your pre-recorded lectures would give you benefit physically and mentally (there is no end of works, fiction and non-fiction in this format). The stimulation your body receives will make you mentally sharper while giving you confidence. It took me 4 weeks to form a fitness habit, so that's not a lot of time for you to get into a routine of walking (and eventually jogging) every other day with your headphones on.

Good luck and start small, be consistent and develop a routine that fits into your schooling so that you have little excuse to skip an activity on busy days.
  • alicia89ruiz
    alicia89ruiz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too struggled with my weight all my life. My mother (after having four kids) weighs 110. Growing up I was always heavy but never overweight or obese, but she sure made me feel that way. I eventually let that become my mindset. I am 26 now and even more unhappier with my weight. It only gets worse. I started to lose weight so many times I have lost count, but it never stuck because I can never shake that mindset. Here it is June 2, and I am so unhappy it is pathetic. I am in nursing school, I am married and have everything I could I ever ask for, but I am MISERABLE. Not because of anything bad, but because I am not happy in my own body. I see skinnier people and hate them for being what I wish I could be.

Do this for YOUR HAPPINESS. For YOUR HEALTH. For YOUR CONFIDENCE.

• dianaramirez1220
    dianaramirez1220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Look back at all the times you were unhappy at pictures you took or clothes u tried. That it self is a huge motivation. Just go for it.