Over 170 LBS to lose--Just bought a fitbit "MALE"

Options
If there are people that are similiar to me or have gone through this journey please help steer me to others. If there is a current group that I could join I would really appreciate feedback and possible help with finding a group.

I have close to 170 lbs that I want to lose. My problem right now at 394 lbs I am not able to walk very well. My exercise is limited to stationary bike and the elliptical machine. What are other ways I can exercise without my feet breaking down further?

Replies

• Skyewall
    Skyewall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are other ways I can exercise without my feet breaking down further?

Hi Garin,
    My name is Eileen, I'm over 50 and need to lose ~150. Due to last year's knee replacement I have found an exercise bike most helpful. My hubby found a iFit cycle at a yard sale (which I love because it has a regular chair seat instead of a bike seat). My problem has been sticking to the commitment to use the equipment and add in other stationary exercises too that are lower impact on the knees.

There are a number of good examples here and many can be modified. greatist.com/fitness/cardio-bodyweight-exercises

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You can find friends in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

You don't need to exercise to lose weight. (And you'll gradually be able to be more active as the weight comes off.) Start by learning to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • ryan_aye
    ryan_aye Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool you can do some great workouts with very low impact on your feet and joints.
  • FarmerLynn7
    FarmerLynn7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Punches are good cardio, and you could certainly do some hand weights or resistance equipment. Some calisthenics and balance exercises may work for you as well. Best of luck!
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Garin, you can do this. All you have to do is log everything. Everything that goes in your mouth, and every activity you do. With the Fitbit, you're half-way there; the activity logging portion is DONE! Whether it's walking, bicycling, swimming, whatever. Or just try to stand up and walk around the room once an hour. All you have to do is record it.

I started at 300 pounds, and had trouble walking because I had pulled my Achilles, and it just would not heal - it had been over a year. One day I got fed up with my weight and my Achilles limp and started day one of the C25K (couch to 5k) program. It was incredible . . . I found that the exercise actually HELPED my Achilles. That was over a year ago. I finished the program, lost some weight, then backslid. I've been at it again for several months, and am now down almost 70 pounds, I run a 5k several times a week. And the Achilles still bothers me, but only if I don't run for several days!!! (The running stretches and strengthens it, and apparently it needs it)

My wife has MD, and is in a wheelchair. She has a fitbit, and has been gradually increasing her daily steps. She also got a recumbent stationary bicycle. At first she could barely do a few minutes . . . she has now worked up to riding almost 2 hours a day, she has lost over 50 pounds.

So, you see, you CAN do this. You don't have to be a super-athlete. (At least to START, although you will be AMAZED where you find yourself eventually!!!)

And, if you think you can handle 60 seconds of very, very slow jogging, I would really encourage you to look at the C25K program. It really is incredible.
  • dksmith20110
    dksmith20110 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Garin, I am in a similar situation as you. I started a 386 and eight weeks later I have made it down to 354. I know this is going to be a very long road. As big guys, we have an advantage early on. We burn so many calories even when sedentary that we can still lose a lot just by starting to log and really count what we eat using MFP and following a realistic plan toward a realistic goal. Start less agressive and adapt as you go. I started with a 1 lb per wek goal with no activity. Using MFP has been the thing that finally helped, well that, and knowing I have to lose. The alternaive is bad: frankly speaking dying way before our time. We have to lose, so let's go. I have a very bad left ankle and plantar facititis as well, and my right hip is bad. However, as I have lost weight, I am finding I can do more and more walking over time, and I have gradually been able to increase the duration of my walks. But initially, I could do nothing. Before I could walk much, I went out and got a set of very lightweight kettlebells to get in some light workouts. Do that in between walks or at first, it may be all you can do initially. Any activity is good, at least 10 minutes at a time. I worked out very slow and easy with an extremely light (5 lb) kettlebell to start. Watched a few videos on youtube to get some ideas. Of course check with your doctor first before doing anything. I only weigh myself once a week and record progress in MFP. I am fortunate to have a facility at my workplace where I can get weighed. Best of luck on your journey.