Late at night and under calories.

Options
13»

Replies

• CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Doctors aren't perfect. I don't expect all to know all. But I would expect THAT to be something that you could find information about. I would disagree w/ that doctor, but perhaps I AM wrong. However, please tell me why it is I can't have 1k calories at once.
    DO WHAT U WANT TO..
  • CriticalX
    Options
    Eat something high in protein. It will help your metablism stay charged up over night.
    UR RIGHT!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    a guy at work is adamant that calories don't matter; just when you eat carbs. He tells me carbs within 6 hrs of sleep cause weight gain. Should I avoid carbs late in the day?

I think everyone is different. I say that because I can eat carbs anytime of the day (though I do TRY and eat them in the morning/afternoon) and I do just fine. Other people say eating them too late makes them pack on weight. I think bodies are different.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I probably would reach for milk. Put some in a mug and warm it up with a little vanilla and a little bit of sweetener (honey, sugar, or whatever you normally use.) It will be a dessert for you, but the warm milk will actually help you sleep better. It's what my Mom would do for me as a kid when I couldn't sleep. :flowerforyou:
    milk late at night?

I've heard that milk and fruits are horrible late at night. Am I wrong?
    milk can cause u to get thrush late at night..

I've never heard this. Like I said, I have milk at night all the time. I brush my teeth and don't have any trouble. *shrugs*
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I probably would reach for milk. Put some in a mug and warm it up with a little vanilla and a little bit of sweetener (honey, sugar, or whatever you normally use.) It will be a dessert for you, but the warm milk will actually help you sleep better. It's what my Mom would do for me as a kid when I couldn't sleep. :flowerforyou:
    milk late at night?

I've heard that milk and fruits are horrible late at night. Am I wrong?
    milk can cause u to get thrush late at night..

Can't find anything that discusses this - do you have a source? Thrush is the result of suppressed immune system and/or imbalance in natural bacteria (it is essentially a yeast infection in the mouth). Now, anything with sugar can contribute to thrush - but if you brush your teeth (and tongue, cheeks, etc) like you're supposed to, this should never be a problem for most healthy people.
    how u brush u throat?jw

It develops in the throat because of bacteria in the mouth. That's why brushing your teeth helps.

But basically, the main reasons that cause thrush are compromised immune system, transfer of yeast infection from another person with it or from another area of the body, taking antibiotics or other medications (they create bacterial imbalance), diabetes (sugar issues), etc.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5103768_causes-thrush-mouth.html
    http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/tc/thrush-topic-overview
    http://www.medicinenet.com/thrush/article.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oral-thrush/DS00408/DSECTION=causes

No mention of milk (other than breastfeeding....assuming you weren't breastfeeding at that time...)
  • heatherelle
    Options
    A great late night snack is half a whole wheat english muffin with a tbls of peanut butter and topped with fresh pair slices sprinkled with a little cinnamon. It's sweet, filling and has about 175 calories.
  • CriticalX
    Options
    ok just saying whats happen to me before. u can do whatever u want to its ur body!
  • spitfire423
    spitfire423 Posts: 21
    Options
    aparently all of you know this but me...why are we trying to "make up" for missed calories? i tend to go with the if im under my cal marker and im not crazy hungry im good.....no??? like my calorie goal is 1100 and im at 900 or something i think ok good.....why would i eat something to push it up just cuz?

might i say that im five foot flat and was born at 2lb 1 oz i have always been a "little girl" i started this just to take off a lil summer weight swimsuit weight nothing drastic....my two big mac and fries lunch was not so healthy before....the tracker helps me realize what i eat...and exactly what is in it....
  • qued3point14
    qued3point14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The #1 reason you SHOULD drink milk at night: Casein absorption: Almost 80% of the protein found in milk is in the phosphorus-containing form known as casein – a complete protein. Casein is hydrophobic (literally “scared of water”) and so it is not soluble in water but instead appears in milk as a suspension – and for this reason it is also called “Micellar Casein” (separated without the use of chemicals). The human body, however, processes casein a little uniquely. Unlike whey (another dairy protein) which the body can absorb very fast, Micellar Casein takes a while to be absorbed into the cells and so its processing is not a high priority task for the body. Milk consumed during the day will still slowly get you the protein, but when consumed at night it gives the body the best chance of maximum absorption. You can read a good description of Micellar Casein at N101.
  • qued3point14
    qued3point14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • CriticalX
    Options
    drink alot of milk before bed its good for u!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    aparently all of you know this but me...why are we trying to "make up" for missed calories? i tend to go with the if im under my cal marker and im not crazy hungry im good.....no??? like my calorie goal is 1100 and im at 900 or something i think ok good.....why would i eat something to push it up just cuz?

might i say that im five foot flat and was born at 2lb 1 oz i have always been a "little girl" i started this just to take off a lil summer weight swimsuit weight nothing drastic....my two big mac and fries lunch was not so healthy before....the tracker helps me realize what i eat...and exactly what is in it....

MFP creates a built in deficit for weight loss, based on your loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. So if you eat under goal, you increase that deficit, which is usually unhealthy and unsustainable.

That said, someone in your situation (petite) may need to tweak goals to reach an appropriate deficit for weight loss and may do ok on less than 1200. However, even at 5', I would not recommend eating less than 1000 per day. It is extremely difficult to get adequate nutrition, in the form of macros (protein/fat/carbs) AND micros (vitamins/minerals) on less than that (and no, a multivitamin doesn't cut it.) Eating too little can actually slow weight loss and lead to loss of muscle. There is a range of deficit in which the body feels comfortable accessing fat stores, without decreasing metabolism or burning too much muscle. Unfortunately, if you are very petite, that will be a VERY small range. So you need a deficit, but a conservative one. Might help to read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    peanut butter....it's high in protein, filling and yummy!
  • CriticalX
    Options
    peanut butter....it's high in protein, filling and yummy!
    has lots of sugar i think. i may be wrong i dont eat it.
  • CriticalX
    Options

MFP creates a built in deficit for weight loss, based on your loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. So if you eat under goal, you increase that deficit, which is usually unhealthy and unsustainable.

That said, someone in your situation (petite) may need to tweak goals to reach an appropriate deficit for weight loss and may do ok on less than 1200. However, even at 5', I would not recommend eating less than 1000 per day. It is extremely difficult to get adequate nutrition, in the form of macros (protein/fat/carbs) AND micros (vitamins/minerals) on less than that (and no, a multivitamin doesn't cut it.) Eating too little can actually slow weight loss and lead to loss of muscle. There is a range of deficit in which the body feels comfortable accessing fat stores, without decreasing metabolism or burning too much muscle. Unfortunately, if you are very petite, that will be a VERY small range. So you need a deficit, but a conservative one. Might help to read these:

great info but how u have all this info at hand?
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

great info but how u have all this info at hand?

Which info? The threads? I wrote some of them lol

The rest is just in my lil ole head - I do a lot of research and have some education in nutrition
  • teresaq1
    teresaq1 Posts: 53
    Options
    I have a bowl of Breyers Double Churned No Sugar Added Ice Cream. 90 calories per half cup. It's such a huge reward and not all that high in calories. When you go most days feeling deprived, it makes it even more tasty. The double churned ice cream is extra creamy.:tongue:
  • spitfire423
    Options
    it doesnt happen often, im a munchie junkie but on days like yesterday when i had coffee for breckfast at home planning to eat an english muffin at my office but i got there and i just wasnt hungry....then we got super busy everyone else ordered fried chicken and mashed potatos and gravy i was saying eh no thinks ill have a full bar and water and a slim fast real quick...i even typed it in my diary but before i could eat it we got super busy i never even got any water from 10 am till i got off at 7pm i had a peppermint lol...so i got home made a homemade lean beef taco from leftovers had a tiny portion of my kids velveeta mac n cheese and by that time i was only at like 800 ish cals in the day....at bed time last night i wasnt starveing i could have gotten back up to eat but i was happy to be under my goal...lol....shrug....

i tried to reply to those who replied to mine....i aparently got it wrong....lol...oops....
  • spitfire423
    Options
    PLUS! Regular people do it all the time by drinking milkshakes or "fancy" coffee drinks or even by eating chinese food. (or at a buffet... or just a really rich big meal.) - I don't, but people do it all the time!

bwahahah LOVE it " PLUS regular people do it all the time" i know what you mean by "regular people" but that was still funny to read.... :)

smile and have a great day!