Back fat/peanut butter correlation?

Options
cherdan
cherdan Posts: 162 Member
Ok, after falling off the wagon a while, the last 2 weeks I have been for the most part eating super clean and sticking to my 1,500 or a bit less daily calorie goal, and I have cut down on drinking to about twice a week, and I've noticed the weight coming off again. For personal reasons I don't weigh myself, but I frequently look for visual indicators of where I'm at. Being a woman, of course, I gain weight mostly in my hips. The last few days, I have been eating a lot of peanut butter. I get fiendish for peanut butter sometimes. I've been eating, on average, 4 Tbsp a day, which I of course measure out. The last few days, I've noticed my lovehandles/back fat, which is much more prominent on my right mid-torso, dramatically increasing, after I got it to nearly disappear a while back. My question is, do you think there is a correlation between this and the peanut butter? My hips visibly have not gained inches or look any different, but my back looks visibly fatter. I can't help but surmise that there is something to peanut butter, being mostly of oils and fats, that it "stays" in one place in the body.. much like heavily trans fat foods such as McDonald's fries, (and PB does contain a lot of hydrogenated oil). Is this true? Do you think it will eventually "disperse" after a few days of flushing out with water and plant foods (I am vegetarian). I am definitely going to stop the PB entirely, until further notice. If there is a food that is too tempting for me, in that I cannot just eat a healthy, moderate amount of it (i.e., 2 Tbps every couple of days), I will just cut it out entirely, because it's a trigger.

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar makes you fat. Namely fructose. Yes, that includes fruit, so cutting down is best. (To give you an idea of how strongly I believe this: The only fruit I eat regularly are bananas and only every 3rd or 4th day at most.)

I'm willing to bet your peanut butter is loaded with fructose (think corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup.) And it probably doesn't stop there. Check your other foods' fructose content, as well. Those ought to go.

Hope that helps!
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    I won't even begin to speculate on the possibility of particular foods staying in particular places, except to say that in line with the "you can't spot reduce", I have a hard time imagining that it has anything to do with the specific food & it seems a lot more likely that it's just where your body does it's 1st fat-storing & the source of the fat is probably irrelevant.
    Having said that, have you ever heard of a product called PB2? It's a totally natural peanut butter product, but it's had effectively all of the oils pressed out so it's sold as a dry powder. You mix it with water at a ratio of 2 parts PB2 to one part water by volume and you get a very tasty, nearly fat free, 45 calorie per serving peanut butter. I love the stuff & it's probably worth checking out, rather than giving up PB altogether which just seems extreme to me.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own peanut butter? You can use healthier oils if you make your own.
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat.

That is fundamentally wrong.
    Not all fat is unhealthy, but you better believe that cholesterol and saturated fat will make you fat.
    As for fructose, eating foods with high sugar contents are a sure fire way to put on the pounds, but to recommend not eating fruit to somebody trying to loose weight is a very poor show indeed. Fruit eating should be encouraged, a wide range of fruits provide so many excellent vitamins that you would be doing a dis-service by steering people away from them.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat.

That is fundamentally wrong.
    Not all fat is unhealthy, but you better believe that cholesterol and saturated fat will make you fat.
    As for fructose, eating foods with high sugar contents are a sure fire way to put on the pounds, but to recommend not eating fruit to somebody trying to loose weight is a very poor show indeed. Fruit eating should be encouraged, a wide range of fruits provide so many excellent vitamins that you would be doing a dis-service by steering people away from them.

I never said don't eat fruit. I said limit it. I don't think it's a disservice. I'm just sharing information that has helped me lose nearly 40 lbs. (to date withOUT exercise - but I am starting P90X in the morning!).

Though, you are correct in saying I was wrong to say "fat doesn't make you fat". I should have said that the dietary fats we consume in our lean meats, nuts, beans, etc. shouldn't be considered evil. Hominids have been consuming fats for millennia but only in the last hundred years or so have we encountered wide-spread obesity. Much of this is due to the introduction of sugars like high-fructose corn syrup into our diets. It is an additive in most processed foods these days, sweet and savory. That is what ought to be avoided.

I should not have tried to condense the thought down to a one-liner. I'm glad you said something, as someone else may have just as easily misconstrued it. My bad. :)
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar makes you fat. Namely fructose. Yes, that includes fruit, so cutting down is best. (To give you an idea of how strongly I believe this: The only fruit I eat regularly are bananas and only every 3rd or 4th day at most.)

I'm willing to bet your peanut butter is loaded with fructose (think corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup.) And it probably doesn't stop there. Check your other foods' fructose content, as well. Those ought to go.

Hope that helps!

I'm sorry but I'd like to know where it is that you're getting your information from that you're then going around telling to people like it's fact? Because I completely disagree with all that you just said.

Yes, fat does make you fat. Sugar doesn't help, but how the hell does fat not make you fat?! Fatty foods will have a major impact on someone's weight loss/gain and fat levels.

Also, your knowledge on sugar isn't quite right there I'm afraid. Fructose and fruit are not the worst sugars that you can have.

Fructose is a low GI sugar, meaning that it's slowly released into your body. Therefore it's actually a lot better for you than refined sugars like glucose and sucrose because you don't get sugar peaks and crashes. Things that are high in glucose levels do cause your blood sugar levels to spike, which isn't good for your body. Sucrose, as in caster/granulated sugar etc., is by far the worst sugar for you. Fructose is water soluble, sucrose is a disaccharide which your body finds more difficult to deal with.

Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value really, but fruit does with a multitude of vitamins and fibre. Yes, fruits are high in sugar but they're natural sugars and so they shouldn't be avoided. If you're eating 20 apples a day, that's too much, otherwise you're just fine.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't eat peanut butter, it's far too fatty, and sugary, and I don't think peanuts are very good for humans.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am not even responding to the fat doesn't make you fat comment.

Fruit doesn't make you fat. You don't see fat fruitarians. humans are designed to eat fruit, that's why we are one of only 3 mammals that don't produce our own vitamin C
    9the others being guinea pigs and fruit bats). Gorillas, who we are most like biologically, are fruitarians.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    EATING fat does NOT make you fat. Eating carbs does not make you fat, eating protein does NOT MAKE YOU FAT.

Guys, all of these are important, and no, hydrogenated oils do not cause you to gain fat, no more than eating whole grain wheat does, or an apple.

It's all about how MUCH you eat. if you eat to much fat, or carbs, or protein then you gain fat, regardless of the type of macronutrient you eat. So in the end, your dietary nutrient quality is important, but assuming you're getting the right amount of nutrients, the amount of calories you eat will determine if and how much fat you gain. Where that fat is put on your body is determined by other factors. Mostly genetic, age, sex, and your current situation. It has little to do with they type of food you eat (although there have been studies to suggest certain foods will lend themselves mildly to fat build up in certain areas like the stomach or thighs, but these studies are NOT conclusions, just documented cases that need to be validated by further study).

Is trans fat and hydrogenated oil good for you? No, but not because it makes you fat, these fats have a free electron, which can cause certain types of arterial problems and are conducive to certain types of cancer conditions, but they really have very little to do with adding fat to your body. In fact, I just wrote about this in my health blog, feel free to read up on fats (healthy and otherwise) here: http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/dietary-fats/ and while you're at it, look at some of my other posts to gain other nutrition and exercise related knowledge.

to the OP: no, 4 oz of peanut butter will not cause you to gain fat in an area. But I'd say this, try to look for natural peanut butter without the hydrogenated oil, as it's far better for you, and tastes about the same (although it doesn't last nearly as long on the shelf).
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    EATING fat does NOT make you fat. Eating carbs does not make you fat, eating protein does NOT MAKE YOU FAT.

Guys, all of these are important, and no, hydrogenated oils do not cause you to gain fat, no more than eating whole grain wheat does, or an apple.

It's all about how MUCH you eat. if you eat to much fat, or carbs, or protein then you gain fat, regardless of the type of macronutrient you eat. So in the end, your dietary nutrient quality is important, but assuming you're getting the right amount of nutrients, the amount of calories you eat will determine if and how much fat you gain. Where that fat is put on your body is determined by other factors. Mostly genetic, age, sex, and your current situation. It has little to do with they type of food you eat (although there have been studies to suggest certain foods will lend themselves mildly to fat build up in certain areas like the stomach or thighs, but these studies are NOT conclusions, just documented cases that need to be validated by further study).

Is trans fat and hydrogenated oil good for you? No, but not because it makes you fat, these fats have a free electron, which can cause certain types of arterial problems and are conducive to certain types of cancer conditions, but they really have very little to do with adding fat to your body. In fact, I just wrote about this in my health blog, feel free to read up on fats (healthy and otherwise) here: http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/dietary-fats/ and while you're at it, look at some of my other posts to gain other nutrition and exercise related knowledge.

to the OP: no, 4 oz of peanut butter will not cause you to gain fat in an area. But I'd say this, try to look for natural peanut butter without the hydrogenated oil, as it's far better for you, and tastes about the same (although it doesn't last nearly as long on the shelf).

There is also evidence, that I tend to agree with based upon my personal experience, that saturated fats are not bad for you and have little to no link to coronary heart disease.

Since I switched from low/no fat products to full fat milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc… I have seen an increase in my fat loss along with no corresponding increase to bad cholesterol or triglycerides and have seen a positive increase in good cholesterol. I also eat eggs just about every (sometimes every other) day.

You can read more on this here
    http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree with Grglandr....

I have removed all processed foods, added sugar and low fat low carb food...
    I now eat real Butter!! yes I said it full fat real butter (in moderation)
    I eat tons of veggies, 1-2 servingso f dairy, protien, 2-3 servings of fat (good kinds like almond oil, coconut milk) no grains yet...will add whole grains back in shortly....

and I have dropped 6 lbs in 2 weeks with no exercise.. ..and I FEEL GREAT!! not hungry..not tired

starting to add exercise back in today-

something to be about going back to basics... and getting the low fat hype out of your head...

and yes it is all about moderation and serving sizes..
  • rubberducky88
    rubberducky88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Someone has been listening to the Jillian Michaels podcasts ;)

Completely agree with all of that!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ok, after falling off the wagon a while, the last 2 weeks I have been for the most part eating super clean and sticking to my 1,500 or a bit less daily calorie goal, and I have cut down on drinking to about twice a week, and I've noticed the weight coming off again. For personal reasons I don't weigh myself, but I frequently look for visual indicators of where I'm at. Being a woman, of course, I gain weight mostly in my hips. The last few days, I have been eating a lot of peanut butter. I get fiendish for peanut butter sometimes. I've been eating, on average, 4 Tbsp a day, which I of course measure out. The last few days, I've noticed my lovehandles/back fat, which is much more prominent on my right mid-torso, dramatically increasing, after I got it to nearly disappear a while back. My question is, do you think there is a correlation between this and the peanut butter? My hips visibly have not gained inches or look any different, but my back looks visibly fatter. I can't help but surmise that there is something to peanut butter, being mostly of oils and fats, that it "stays" in one place in the body.. much like heavily trans fat foods such as McDonald's fries, (and PB does contain a lot of hydrogenated oil). Is this true? Do you think it will eventually "disperse" after a few days of flushing out with water and plant foods (I am vegetarian). I am definitely going to stop the PB entirely, until further notice. If there is a food that is too tempting for me, in that I cannot just eat a healthy, moderate amount of it (i.e., 2 Tbps every couple of days), I will just cut it out entirely, because it's a trigger.

I highly doubt that you are gaining fat on your back, first of all, and no, even if you were, it's not the PB.

When you were carrying more weight, your back may have looked different to you than it does now that you are losing.

And I have 2T of almond butter more days than not, and i also usually have an ounce of either almonds or pistachios most days. I'm still steadily losing weight.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

I would also start using a more measurable form of tracking than your reflection in the mirror. Depending on your mood, you may perceive your appearance differently than what it really is. When you take a test, your grade is not based upon a subjective assessment like how you felt you did or how nicely you circles the answers it is based upon objective measurable statistics. I would recommend tracking your weight weekly and your body fat percentage monthly.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Maybe also consider switching out the PB for natural almond butter. Make sure it doesn't have added sugars.

Fats are beneficial (and obviously from all my posts here I'm a big proponent of them) but overeating any food group or underestimating servings of very calorie-dense food like nuts, nut butters, oils, dairy, etc. will quickly bulk up your daily caloric intake.

I find myself underestimating my almond servings sometimes. Best thing is to measure them out - don't eat them straight out of the container or you may end up eating double without realizing it.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

There is also evidence, that I tend to agree with based upon my personal experience, that saturated fats are not bad for you and have little to no link to coronary heart disease.

Since I switched from low/no fat products to full fat milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc… I have seen an increase in my fat loss along with no corresponding increase to bad cholesterol or triglycerides and have seen a positive increase in good cholesterol. I also eat eggs just about every (sometimes every other) day.

You can read more on this here
    http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm

you'll see in my blog that I talk specifically about coconut oil being an exception, which is why I always preach to do research. As to whether saturated fats are or are not bad for you, yep, there's been some studies, but as I note, there haven't been follow up studies to confirm this yet with longer term controls (only statistical research, which should be taken with a grain of salt for any research, not discounted, but rather, understood that it's not a controlled study so we can only draw limited inferences from it). I'll simply say this, if the saturated fat is eaten along with a healthy percentage of good fats, and the gall bladder is healthy, then I doubt it would be a long term issue as LDL tends to cancel out HDL and vice versa. I would imagine that if you were to eat mostly fat full of LDL cholesterol and hydrogenated oils you'd probably tend towards more arterial issues and possibly more cancer. I say why risk that possibility, we all know that good fats are good for you , there's no debate there, so to be on the safe side, I say do your best to make the majority of your fat consumption the healthy kind, and I think you'll be fine.

Please note that this is different from me saying "consume low fat/no fat products over saturated fat products" rather this is me saying "don't cut out the fat, just choose fat delivering products high in natural fats, and make the majority of those fats liquid fats from natural sources".
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Ugh, please don't. I'm not a JM fan (don't tell my wife, she loves JM).
  • rubberducky88
    rubberducky88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Haha, sorry!
    Just everything you said in your post pretty much echoed her podcast that I listened to this morning on my commute!!

I too, am a hardcore JM fan. haha!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Haha, sorry!
    Just everything you said in your post pretty much echoed her podcast that I listened to this morning on my commute!!

I too, am a hardcore JM fan. haha!

it's not her theories I don't like (although some of her chemistry is a little wonkie), it's the fact that she preaches natural diet (which I also do) but then markets fat blockers and metabolism boosters and utterly useless tools. I get it, she's looking to cash in, which is fine, but it's contradictory, which I can't stand behind, thus I don't like to compare my beliefs to her.
  • ladybug2020
    ladybug2020 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I wish I could blame my love of peanut butter on my back fat :laugh: :laugh: