ladies let's talk birth control and weight

Options
I'm 30 years old had baby number 2 in December 2013, gained 60 pounds while pregnant and decided to get Mirena in April 2014...im having the hardest time losing weight anyone esle have this issue? Thinking about having it removed!

Replies

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I first got Mirena in the summer of 2009 after losing a large amount of weight. It didn't affect my weight. I continued to lose and maintain until the end of 2009 when I just went off the rails. There was one odd thing, though. I lost a lot of hair that year. I would pull out handfuls. Family members noticed my hair was thinner. I thought I had lost weight too quickly and stressed my body, but last year I read that Mirena was linked to hair loss. FYI, I'm now on my second Mirena, and I've lost 5 lbs in the last month. My highest weight pre-Mirena was still my starting weight this time around.
  • aduck8543
    aduck8543 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 30 and I have a 9 year old. I have beenOn the mirena since September. I started exercising everyday for one hour and eating some what healthy since mid December. I have Lost 6 lbs. But it is a struggle to work so hard and see such little results. I am trying this food tracking again to see if I can really stick to a healthy diet.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Also on my 2nd Mirena, been using it for 7 years total now. Haven't noticed any negative side effects aside from loss of my period.
  • aduck8543
    aduck8543 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually wish there were more conversations about bc and weight loss. I usually just end up in really negative blogs about how bc causes weight gain. It's not easy at all. I think about having mine removed all the time and then I remember the alternative. Lol I can get pregnant just looking at my bf. So I guess if you can use condoms that would be best. Even the guy at the nutrition shop said natural bc is best.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    No problems with weight loss here. I had mine put in July 25, 2014. My weight (I've marked the mirena insertion date in yellow):

ecd9n9kgihcr.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

While Mirena might be the issue for you, you should also consider other possible causes. For example:

- Have you been checked recently for PCOS or Hypothyroidism?
    - Are you weighing your food on a food scale?
    - How much weight have you lost since you had it put in? Are your expectations reasonable or are you expecting more than 2 lbs per week loss.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third mirena. I gain weight when it is taken out and I get pregnant. As long as it stays in place, no issues.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Since we're having a whole Mirena thread here, I have a slightly OT question/comment about Mirena.

My first one stopped my periods completely after the first 3 months. Shortly before it was time to change it out, I started having periods again. 10 months into my second Mirena, I'm still having periods. They're also not like the ones I had during the pre-Mirena years. They're very regular, and they aren't very heavy, but I'm having really painful cramps - something I have never experienced before. They are also lasting 7 days. It's really ticking me off. Anyone else? My dr. at my insertion follow-up told me it just happens sometimes. But 10 months later?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Since we're having a whole Mirena thread here, I have a slightly OT question/comment about Mirena.

My first one stopped my periods completely after the first 3 months. Shortly before it was time to change it out, I started having periods again. 10 months into my second Mirena, I'm still having periods. They're also not like the ones I had during the pre-Mirena years. They're very regular, and they aren't very heavy, but I'm having really painful cramps - something I have never experienced before. They are also lasting 7 days. It's really ticking me off. Anyone else? My dr. at my insertion follow-up told me it just happens sometimes. But 10 months later?

I'd probably ask for a second opinion or at least maybe another follow up.

I didn't have periods at first. After a few months I got my periods back. For a few months they lasted a full week (no cramps though) and have been shortening. Mine are down to 3-4 days currently. I still bloat and get headaches (2 problems I've always had), but the cramps are gone.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

No periods with the first two, heavy periods with this one that started a little less than a year after it was placed. I chalk it up to my special snowflake status.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    No problems with weight loss here. I had mine put in July 25, 2014. My weight (I've marked the mirena insertion date in yellow):

ecd9n9kgihcr.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

While Mirena might be the issue for you, you should also consider other possible causes. For example:

- Have you been checked recently for PCOS or Hypothyroidism?
    - Are you weighing your food on a food scale?
    - How much weight have you lost since you had it put in? Are your expectations reasonable or are you expecting more than 2 lbs per week loss.

I like this comment because it is balanced.

My story is that I had my Implanon removed yesterday after 8 years of this form of BC.

I was 154lb when I had my first one implanted. In the first 18 months after putting it in I gained 62lb. This is a significant gain anyway but I'd like to also point out that I am 5'3. I was enormous.

Weight gain is a known side effect of some BC. I think this also needs some context. I was suffering from mild depression at the time and should never have been put on this particular medication according to everything I have read.

I attribute only some of my gain to the effect meds had on my body. The rest I chalk up to the combined depression and hormones that made me make terrible choices and dislike myself greatly.

It has been 8 years and I have never been my before weight again despite my best efforts. I do think it is harder to lose weight with an implant but it is certainly not impossible. I have lost 44lb of the gain over the years. I've fluctuated a lot due to a lack of discipline.

The reason I chose to remove it were not related to weightloss but to quality of life. In the last year my periods have become extreme: near unbearable pain for 2 weeks in advance, 2 periods in the space of 3 weeks, last up to 14 days each at times and more.

My thoughts are: it isn't impossible but it does make things a little more difficult. You can do it! Mentally prepare yourself and know that it was never going to be a cake walk anyway but you committed to it & can 100% achieve your goals!
  • Livgetfit
    Options

1-2 periods per year with my first 2 Implanon. First 6 months of 3rd was the same. Remaining 18 months = agonizing, irregular and heavy.

My friend was good for the first 6 months but then had continuous bleeding for 8 weeks and had to have it removed.

I think it can change at any time.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was bullied by my doctor to try mirena after the birth of my second baby. Perfect birth control- I bled non-stop and didn't want anyone anywhere NEAR my vagina. Crazy insane mood swings, hair loss, cramps. Had it removed after a few months and went back on depo with zero issues.

But! Birth control does not make you gain weight. Ever. What you put in your food hole makes you gain. To say otherwise is to say the fork makes you fat. Blame it on hormones, water gain, whatever. It's still on you to put the delicious soothing cookies in your mouth. So just be mindful and you should be o.k.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I got Mirena in January. From Jan-April I gained about 10 pounds (while not logging and eating whatever). From April-now I lost about 10 pounds (while logging). So at least for me it seems not to have an effect on weight loss.

It has my my period situation unpredictable and strange, but not in a way my Dr is worried about. It's just annoying. (I will elaborate if you really want to know... XD)
  • becca_maee
    becca_maee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I never had the mirena but I had the depo shot and later pills (which nobody told me to have protected sex while taking antiobiotics on the pill, that's why I have my 6 month old lol)

Depo shot didn't make me gain weight. I just bled literally every day for a year after only 1 shot. Even when I got pregnant (on bc pills) I still wasn't having a regular period. I had a "period" while I was pregnant but tested anyways bc I had a feeling and I was right. My sister had the depo and she never bled, it stopped her periods all together. But she gained a lot of weight.

I also took pills like I said. Nothing really major hormonal went on. I didn't gain weight. My friend is on the pills though and gained about 25 lbs.

Everything is different for everyone.
    But I will say I don't think it's the actual bc making you gain... Maybe it increases appetite therefor you gain... Idk honestly I could be wrong, I've never looked into it. Since it is messing with your hormones
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just got off the depo shot in December after taking it for 9 months. I literally bled every day as someone else said and my periods still have not returned to normal. (That said, i don't recommend it) However, i didn't gain a ton of weight. About seven pounds that was probably preventable. I'm going to try losing some weight before starting a different method in the fall
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    I love the fact that some people here are apparently more knowledgeable than medical professionals, pharma orgs and clinical trials who say resolutely that weight gain is a possible side effect of BC. Amazing. Glad to know I'm being misled by these folks with their years of experience & PhDs.

It may not be the sole reason, you certainly can't blame it completely but can we please acknowledge that the experts say this is a known side effect?

Just because your "food hole" is your sole issue, doesn't mean it is for others.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    I love the fact that some people here are apparently more knowledgeable than medical professionals, pharma orgs and clinical trials who say resolutely that weight gain is a possible side effect of BC. Amazing. Glad to know I'm being misled by these folks with their years of experience & PhDs.

It may not be the sole reason, you certainly can't blame it completely but can we please acknowledge that the experts say this is a known side effect?

Just because your "food hole" is your sole issue, doesn't mean it is for others.

If you read the clinical trials and the methods used you would understand better.

Clinical trials are designed to track the "odd" things that happen while using a drug. Anything that participants feel are out of the ordinary.

The clinical trials and the doctors associated must then report those all as side effects no matter how small a percentage it was...

For Mirena less than 4% of the participants reported weight gain...keeping in mind they were not in a lab and their calories were not regulated...

That is why it is listed as a side effect along side "increased appetite" and "water retention".

Birth control specifically Mirena/Depo/Pill/Patch/Ring do not have calories so they cannot cause weight gain...

They can however play a bit with hormones which can cause increased appetite and water retention.....which will cause weight gain.

Copper IUD's have no hormones in them yet women reported weight gain using those as well??? explain that....

There are other nasty side effects that do come out.

To the OP I lost the majority of my weight using Mirena now Depo...CICO...learn to recognize "increased appetite" for what it is and log accurately and consistently and you should not have an issue...not saying you won't but shouldn't.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

It is a side effect because it increases appetite. So yep, you will eat more and put on weight. Been there, done that.
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    So shall we all keep shaming women for putting on weight as a result of an increase in hormones? Because that is how this reads.
    "Oh you've had an enormous influx of hormones to your system and your body is trying to get used to it? Well if you gain a pound that'll be your willpower, weakling, despite the fact that tens of thousands of woman have reported the same thing"
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So shall we all keep shaming women for putting on weight as a result of an increase in hormones? Because that is how this reads.
    "Oh you've had an enormous influx of hormones to your system and your body is trying to get used to it? Well if you gain a pound that'll be your willpower, weakling, despite the fact that tens of thousands of woman have reported the same thing"

It is less than 6% of the major clinical trials of Mirena...

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/1829/SPC/Mirena here is the UK one
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/DevelopmentResources/UCM245685.pdf
    https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=12313
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3150205/
    http://healthresearchfunding.org/19-intense-mirena-weight-gain-statistics/
    Statistics About Mirena Weight Gain
    1. Less than 5% of women who have had Mirena inserted will experience an unexpected weight increase.
    2. The amount of weight a woman must gain for it to be considered an adverse reaction to Mirena: 20 pounds.
    3. Because women may use contraception for many years to delay or space child bearing, it is typical that weight gained over several years may be attributed to contraceptive use.
    4. The prevalence of obesity among US adult women is currently 35.5%
    5. 1 out of 5 women who have an IUD implanted may already have a BMI that classifies them as obese.
    6. After 12 months, about 20% of women will have no periods at all when using Mirena, which creates the foundation of weight gain.
    7. After about 5 months nearly all women will experience light periods only.
    8. 1 out of every 1,000 women who have Mirena implanted will still get pregnant.
    9. Women are 2.5 times more likely to suffer from a perforation caused by Mirena than become pregnant while on it.
    10. There is a 5% chance that a woman’s body will simply push out the Mirena device after it has been inserted.
    11. Bleeding is the most common side effect of Mireana, happening in 51.9% of reported insertions.
    12. Women are twice as likely to suffer from pelvic pain than to experience weight gain after having Mirena implanted.
    13. It takes an average of 183 treatment days for the side effects of Mirena to be noticed.
    14. About 80% of women who want to have a child after having Mirena removed can conceive within the first 12 months.
    15. No clinical trials have been setup to study the side effect of an adverse weight gain while using this IUD.
    16. The percentage of women who experience ovarian cysts while having Mirena implanted: 12
    17. 7.7% of women who have Mirena implanted suffer from headaches or migraines that were not present in their lifestyle before.
    18. Progestin weight gain studies differ greatly in the results that are discovered. Some show many users have a weight gain. Others say that there is no evidence to show any weight gain whatsoever.
    19. In one national study on women’s health, an increase of just over 0.5 kg per year between the ages of 18 and 23 years was noted with birth control use.